PDA

View Full Version : More fun at the range today with 250g REAL's

rsrocket1
04-11-2014, 09:45 PM
Shot a bunch of 250g REAL 50 cal bullets through my CVA Optima Pro. I was hitting the gong at 200 yards with the 3-9x32 scope set at 3x with about a 30" holdover. The bullets were all in proper left/right alignment, I just needed to estimate the right holdover. 55g BlackMZ was all I needed. Hopefully I'll make some slow motion videos of the bullet the next time I go out. I did shoot some close range shots through the iron sights at 25 yards just to see how accurate this load is at close range. No contest. Lube was 2:1 Beeswax/Vaseline with an over powder card.

Interestingly, the 200 yard gong is probably 36" and is almost the same angle of view as the outer bullseye ring of my paper targets.

I did get the courage to try to push the REAL's down with the short starter rather than lightly tap the rounds in with the dead blow hammer and I cut my hand up nicely with the front sight when the bullet got past the initial resistance. :x The first two bands engrave easily with moderate thumb pressure, but that last band is tight. Back to the hammer.

tomme boy
04-11-2014, 10:57 PM
I like them. They shoot really good for me.

johnson1942
04-12-2014, 10:21 AM
its fun to shoot when you get a system that works for you.keep us posted

dualsport
04-13-2014, 02:07 PM
Good shooting. What's the twist rate on that CVA?

AlaskanGuy
04-13-2014, 02:29 PM
I had the same trouble getting it started.. took my Leatherman and banged the end of my Alum charging rod to get them started.. big mistake... it mushroomed the end just enough so the rod wont fit into the sleeve on my Muzzie any more.... gunna have to fix that... been thinking about a Brass rod anyway... But the boolit shoots great once you get er started... its my favorite using the home made BP..

AG

starmac
04-13-2014, 04:35 PM
Akguy,if you don't have a short starter, you need to build one, or at least get a store boughten one. Much better for starting boolits or balls.