PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for AR in 5.56 mold needed

slim1836
04-10-2014, 07:59 PM
My machinist friend (Jim) is collecting lead and other items in order to begin casting his own. I have invited him to this site several times but he really does not like to spend time behind the computer. I have given him my old LEE 10 pound pot and other items in getting him started. I'll let him deal with the drips.

Jim is looking for a mold for subsonic loads for his AR in 5.56 cal. A LEE mold is what he's leaning toward as this will be his first casting and he wants to practice without spending too much. If he messes up that mold, he won't be out much money.

I know nothing about AR's and am looking for a mold that would satisfy this need. It can be a tumble lube mold as he has yet to get any of the equipment for lubing grooves.

Also, Jim does plan on loading some fuller loads so is there any boolit which would be appropriate for both applications? That would be a plus. Would a gas checked boolit mold would work in both applications? Any pet loads would also be appreciated.

Jim thanks you in advance, and I thank you now.

Slim

dkf
04-10-2014, 08:03 PM
Subsonic 5.56 loads through an AR (even with a heavy 75gr cast bullet) will be a single shot deal. Will not be enough power to cycle the action.

dragon813gt
04-10-2014, 08:34 PM
Is he shooting subsonic through a suppressor? If so I hope he has one that can be taken apart for cleaning. There aren't many of them on the market.

slim1836
04-11-2014, 05:16 AM
I will have to ask , but I do not believe he has it suppressed.

Is he shooting subsonic through a suppressor? If so I hope he has one that can be taken apart for cleaning. There aren't many of them on the market.

dkf, I will pass that along, thanks.

Slim