PDA

View Full Version : First time smelting went smoothly!

Radarsonwheels
04-10-2014, 05:07 PM
I feel like Ive really joined the club now- I've been casting for a little while but I smelted my first two batches of muffin ingots today! About 20lbs each of old pure lead pipe to make cap and ball ammo and wheelweights Im planning to use for 44 mag gas checked boolits.

I spent a lot of time reading here first, which helped a lot. I used dykes to check each ww, and melted the sowws with the soft pipe lead.

Feels good to get some free lead ready for casting. It'll feel even better sending it downrange!

CastingFool
04-10-2014, 05:17 PM
Melting lead is addictive, but make sure you take precautions to safeguard your health. Wear gloves when casting or smelting. Don't eat or smoke while casting or smelting. Always wash your hands afterwards. Hopefully, you're smelting outside, use a fan to direct the fumes away from you. JMO

mold maker
04-10-2014, 05:49 PM
I just hope your not doing it to save money. I could have bought 2 lifetimes worth of ammo for what I've got invested. Any way you say it, a labor of love, is still lots of work.
Welcome to the rest of the addiction.

Cherokee
04-10-2014, 07:27 PM
Welcome to the fun....

sleddman
04-10-2014, 09:50 PM
Yes it is addictive. But, I do save money by molding my own bullets. So keep on melting. Even if you had to spend a dollar a pound for clean lead you would save money by reloading. Keep looking for free lead and you obviously save much more. when you can load a box of 50 rounds for under 5 dollars how can you not be saving. Happy loading.

silverado
04-10-2014, 10:13 PM
I just hope your not doing it to save money. I could have bought 2 lifetimes worth of ammo for what I've got invested. Any way you say it, a labor of love, is still lots of work.
Welcome to the rest of the addiction.

Ain't that right, but it is pretty close... remember that every time you buy something you are saving in the long run ;)

Pb2au
04-10-2014, 10:54 PM
It really is a hoot.
There are about 2 million worse ways to spend your time.
Sounds like you are off to a good start.
Remember, use your noodle and keep it simple.

Radarsonwheels
04-11-2014, 12:13 AM
Yep, boots, longs & longs, glasses, gloves, pot lid!
250 .454" round balls cast in a short session tonight, nice clean smooth lead. Boolits end up costing around 10¢ a piece whether I buy commercial hardcast or clean ingots. Boolits I smelt come in closer to 1-3¢ I'm guessing after I buy propane.

Oh and they're extra pretty boolits!