PDA

View Full Version : how much can you hone from a lyman/rcbs style die?

BK7saum
04-10-2014, 02:51 PM
I have a .284 size die and am needing a .288 or .289. Is it possible to hone mine out and still have a reasonably round boolit?

I know there is a sticky or two. I have looked and will continue to look.

However, would I be better served having Buckshot make me another size die. Or does anyone have a .288 or .289 die to trade for my new in package lyman .284?

Thank you,

Brad

Tatume
04-10-2014, 03:03 PM
There's more to your question. If you hone the die, will the undersized plug cause it to leak? Unfortunately, I do not have the answers.

However, I do have a partial answer. If Buckshot makes a die for you it will be a piece of art and worth much more than he will charge you.

Take care, Tom

BK7saum
04-10-2014, 03:06 PM
Tom,

Buckshots dies, are works of art. I have sent him more money in the last year than I care to admit.

I was wondering about the undersize pin/plug. If there was a way to leave the die choked at the bottom to match the plug OD, it might work, but on the other hand without being able to hone the entire die, I doubt I could keep it anywhere close to uniform.

Brad

country gent
04-10-2014, 03:07 PM
I believe you could take it out that far with out to much of an issue as to size. With proper honing lapping ti should be very round when done. The issue is going to be the added clearence on the pin of .004-.005 thousandths which may allow lube to push past it. A new pin of .288 may need to be fashioned also. Wrapping sandpaper around a mandrell might work also but will be harder to hold accuracy than actual honing or true lapping. A machine shop could possible bore ( with carbide tools) grind or hone to needed size but it probably wont be cheap either.

BK7saum
04-10-2014, 03:09 PM
This is one of those times when I wish I had 5k worth of tools to make a $30 part.

BK7saum
04-10-2014, 03:15 PM
Looks like I will be contacting Buckshot in the near future. I know there has to be at least one other die, punch, etc. that I need. Dang where is that list?

Brad