PDA

View Full Version : got some leading

trucker76
04-09-2014, 07:53 PM
I'm pretty sure this is a lube issue. I lubed them pretty light and after doing some research I don't think I had enough on the bullets. I'm going to try the simplest solution first and relube them.

Pilgrim
04-09-2014, 08:05 PM
Good plan. I can't tell if I'm looking from the breech end of the barrel, but if I am, that's classic lube failure. One thing to keep in mind as you proceed. If the leading is towards the muzzle, the boolit is running out of lube before it exits the barrel. If the leading is near the breech end of the barrel, it usually indicates gas cutting, and not necessarily lube failure. Usually it indicates the boolit is not sealing at launch, e.g. undersized boolits. If the leading goes the full length of the barrel, most likely undersized boolits, or gross lube failure or both.

Ed_Shot
04-09-2014, 08:41 PM
What boolit are you using?
Are you sizing?
What is your boolit diameter?
What lube are you using?
What load are you using?

Ed_Shot
04-09-2014, 08:43 PM
Forgot to ask: What is your alloy?

bruce381
04-09-2014, 09:15 PM
lube will not solve that size them bigger

HeavyMetal
04-09-2014, 09:27 PM
This has LLA written all over it, LOL!

Try more lube, better yet try pan lubing, I will also suggest you figure out boolit diameter to bore size.

Can't make heads or tails of the gun in question, Contender? please clarifiy boolit, caliber and gun we can really help if we know what your shooting.

trucker76
04-09-2014, 10:21 PM
Sorry, that is the breech end of the barrel from an XD45. Using 230gr TC TL from a Lee mold sized at .452 over 4.6gr of bullseye. Tumble lubed with LLA. I noticed the more I shot the worse the grouping got and had that sinking feeling. I guess tomorrow I'll run to harbor freight and get some calipers so I can slug the barrel and get some measurements. Yeah I know I got the cart in front of the horse. From what I read the factory XD45 barrels generally measure .448-.450 at the grooves. For alloy I'm using 50/50 ww/pure + 2% tin air cooled.

btroj
04-09-2014, 10:26 PM
Micrometer, not calipers.

If you run a dry patch down the bore how does it feel? Leading will make it grab. I like to run a. Dry patch down the bore then look for leading. A dry patch won't remove much but unburned powder and what not. I find that makes it easier to see what you need to see.

dilly
04-09-2014, 10:28 PM
Read about dry tumble powder coating before you go to harbor freight; you may decide to give that method a try. I say before because that is a big source of powder coat powder. No reason lube can't work once you get the kinks worked out though.

Big Steve
04-09-2014, 10:32 PM
Trucker76, I use that same exact mold. I size them to .452 with a Lee push through sizer. I lightly lube with LLA, size, then relube with LLA. I load them over 6 gr Unique and shoot them through a 5" XD Tactical and a RIA 1911 with absolutely no leading issues at all. Especially in the XD. Just a coupla' swipes with a patch and clean as a whistle. Don't even need a brush. You may be under lubing. I am using 75/25 COWW/Pure, air cooled.

MtGun44
04-10-2014, 12:58 AM
+1 on mic that reads to .0001" for this work.

Bill