PDA

View Full Version : 8mm Maser and .303 brit boolits full auto?

phaux
04-09-2014, 12:41 PM
Does anyone here have any experience firing cast boolits, in particular 8mm Mauser and .303 brit, full auto? If so is there anything special needed to be done? Does the increased heat of the barrel cause problems?

tomme boy
04-09-2014, 02:21 PM
As long as the bullets fit, you shouldn't have any problems other than getting them to cycle.

Pb2au
04-09-2014, 03:13 PM
No Mauser or Brit, but 45 ACP in a M-10.
Barrel heat shouldn't be an issue. The M-10's cyclic rate is like a million rounds a minute, and it works just fine with cast. Just like anything else, get the sizing correct and you should be good to go.
I am curious, what firearms would you be feeding? The only thing that occurs to me to consider would be the boolit shape/design so it feeds correctly.

phaux
04-09-2014, 05:46 PM
No Mauser or Brit, but 45 ACP in a M-10.
Barrel heat shouldn't be an issue. The M-10's cyclic rate is like a million rounds a minute, and it works just fine with cast. Just like anything else, get the sizing correct and you should be good to go.
I am curious, what firearms would you be feeding? The only thing that occurs to me to consider would be the boolit shape/design so it feeds correctly.

Bren and MG53, ordering kits for them in the next week hopefully. With the insane high cost of surplus on those calibers there's no way I'd be able to feed them. The M-10 those is a lot cooler round than the rifles. With my Sten I can put my hand on the barrel after dumping a mag or two but with an M16 you try that and you'll be in for an unpleasant surprise...

BruceB
04-09-2014, 06:01 PM
On one well-remembered occasion, I ran two or three 30-round magazines of cast-bullet .303 British through my full-auto Bren (in Canada).

The mags were fired in quick succession, and I then had a VERY unpleasant period of several hours, trying to remove extensive lead plating from the gas system.

There was evident lead fouling as far as six inches from the barrel's gas port.

On semi-auto, it was much better.

Also had an MG42 (kin to the M53) but it mangled the cases so badly that I never did get around to loading it with cast bullets. For that matter, even the jacketed bullets were only handloaded a couple times before I gave it up due to brass casualties (1200 rounds per minute is VERY hard on brass!).

supersniper
04-09-2014, 08:57 PM
may get around the leading issue by powder coating the boolits

phaux
04-10-2014, 04:40 AM
Leading was my main concern, sigh. I may try powder coating but, after the size of casting a round that large then the time it takes to coat I'm wondering if it's not just easier to buy actual projectiles at .18/rnd