PDA

View Full Version : What I did this evening

Idaho Mule
04-09-2014, 12:17 AM
Neighbor Brad had a little problem this afternoon. I went over and helped him get out. Took a D4 + NH T70 to get him sucked out of that mud pit. JW

geargnasher
04-09-2014, 12:20 AM
Coulda just roped the next train.....ever watch Fandango? :kidding:

Gear

Mk42gunner
04-09-2014, 12:26 AM
It has been my experience that it is never a good day when your tractor's tires look like racing slicks....

Thanks for being a good neighbor,

Robert

horsesoldier
04-09-2014, 01:44 AM
wow, I did that a few weeks ago cutting firewood.But nothing like that!

uscra112
04-09-2014, 02:04 AM
Too soon to be planting the corn, eh?

Ramar
04-09-2014, 08:03 AM
Good one Gear!!
Ramar

Doc Highwall
04-09-2014, 09:38 AM
You could always try this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl-zfj-ynNo

M-Tecs
04-09-2014, 10:28 AM
When I was a kid I helped my uncle do that. I was covered in mud by the time we got everything chained up.

oneokie
04-09-2014, 10:43 AM
Too soon to be planting the corn, eh?

Looks like a posthole digger on the back.

Was the tractor still in one piece when it was removed from the mud hole?

CastingFool
04-09-2014, 11:16 AM
I'll bet that was fun!

Bo1
04-09-2014, 11:35 AM
Also looks like the industrial tires instead of Ag tires... Ag tires would have made that situation worse.. lol

Bo

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-09-2014, 11:40 AM
not ... going ... fast ... enough [smilie=2: [smilie=2:

starmac
04-09-2014, 01:27 PM
I worked as an equipment operator on and around the gulf coast for quite a few years, I had lots of days like that and worse. lol

At least he had good neighbors with equipment and know how (both important) to get it out. lol I have seen the time we had to truck in more equipment to extract a bad stick. lol

10x
04-09-2014, 02:08 PM
I have done that with a Cat 966 loader when the frost went out in the log yard for the sawmill I was working at.

geargnasher
04-09-2014, 02:31 PM
Ouch. If you get the belly pan of a 966 squished down into the gumbo, you're pretty much a stuck puppy.

Gear

Elkins45
04-09-2014, 02:34 PM
Not going to push this one out with the loader!

waksupi
04-09-2014, 03:36 PM
It takes a damn fool to get himself in a situation like that. At least, that's always what I told myself when I did it!

MaryB
04-10-2014, 12:22 AM
Friend did that with his pickup. We were going down to a fishing spot and he drove off the path onto floodplain. 44 inch mud tires are useless in gumbo that is waist deep. Took 400 feet of steel cable back to solid ground to get him out. And a LOT of mud in places you didn't want mud.

Idaho Mule
04-10-2014, 12:47 AM
Neighbor Brad said he was "just barely" spun out, and then he started with the bucket. Soon, he said, it was getting much worse so he shut down, yelled some profanities at the stoopid tractor and walked back to his pick-up, where he enjoyed a couple frosty beverages. Correct on the post hole digger, he was trying to close one end of a pasture- his cows keep heading into town so he figured the fence would be a good idea. Gear, roping the train would be a great idea but the tracks are all but abandoned. I haven't seen a train on them for 20 + years, but those "Speeder" things go on them every 4th of July. Bo1, those are ag tires, they are just full of mud. 10x, what in the heck does one use to pull out a stuck 966?? That would be bad. JW

10x
04-10-2014, 08:25 AM
Ouch. If you get the belly pan of a 966 squished down into the gumbo, you're pretty much a stuck puppy.

Gear

Right up to the frame. However 70 feet of logs in the clam makes a great anchor to use the hydrolics to push the machine out.
The real problem was 3 feet of wet soil over frozen subsoil.

oneokie
04-10-2014, 09:10 AM
what in the heck does one use to pull out a stuck 966?? That would be bad. JW

I will say something like a D-6 dozer. And say that what ever is used, make sure that the retrieval line, (wire rope/cable, chain, tow strap is attached to something on the tractor that is intended to be a pulling point. Not the front axle, or the rear axle housings.

bikerbeans
04-10-2014, 09:16 AM
I worked in the environmental cleanup business for 25 years and I've had that happen to me with equipment a few times. Getting the machine buried usually happened right after the Owner's Representative (usually a 22 year old geologist or biologist) said that the ground was more than capable of supporting my equipment. Most of the owners would make the consultant take care of the bill for removing and cleaning the buried yellow iron.

BB

Doc Highwall
04-10-2014, 09:48 AM
The house I am living in now the previous owner told me the town got a D10 stuck to the top of the tracks when they were moving the stream that is next to the house. One day I was digging there and I found a length if 1" + cable that was buried where he said it had been stuck.

Freightman
04-10-2014, 10:13 AM
Had a boss stick a D9 Cat like that or worse due to the weight. He ask the operator to cross a swampy area operator refused, boss let out some selected words jumped on and went. when the water was up to his chest he got off. Took us six hours and four big wrecker winches to get it out. The boss was no longer the boss cause the big boss fired him in front of all us peons. LOL have fun

starmac
04-10-2014, 02:05 PM
I ran a TS 14 on a job raising the levy on the peninsula so they could dredge the Houston ship channel. All it was if you got off the levy was old silt from when they had dregded it over the years. I had lived close to there when I was a kid and rabbit hunted there. It was not uncommon for a kid to get stuck and have to spend the night on foot there.
There was even a dozer out there that you could see for years before the stack finally disappeared. The first load the foreman had a kamatsu with triangle swamp pads build a turn around area, and when I got to the end he told me that is where we would be turning around. lol I told him it wouldn't hold me up, but he said it was fine. lol I back up far enough to come off the levi in high gear, and as soon as the frontend left the levi it threw me off and buried the frontend with mud up in the seat. lol The rear wheels were still on the levi. lol

10x
04-10-2014, 11:51 PM
snip
10x, what in the heck does one use to pull out a stuck 966?? That would be bad. JW

Use the clam with 3 or 4 logs 70 feet long to push yourself out. They do not like it at the mill as the mud on the logs dulls the saw blades.
Or a D7 with a winch can pull one out.

w5pv
04-11-2014, 09:02 AM
Anyone the has a tractor and lives in Orange,County TX have had the chance to enjoy the mud games.Been there and done that with tractors and trucks.The best way if you can get chains and tie a good size pole across the rear wheels and very very slowly roll the tractor upon the pole and then build a pole log bed to drive the tractor on.Also if you don't have enough winch line ,walk out and hitch hike until you can get more cable,chains rope and good hearted someone to help you.

trapper9260
04-11-2014, 10:21 AM
I had my shear of getting stuck with a tractor and my pick up when I was trapping and also when work for a water well company they got the rig stuck in the mud also.lucky for that it had jacks already that you just jack it up and put planks down and plank it out that way after you buried a load of blocking.Also seen some pics when i was at the tractor salvage yard also.

10x
04-11-2014, 12:26 PM
Last time I was moving gravel at the gun range about 200 yards down range on the road to the 500 yard targets the front end of the tractor started to dive - just like a submarine. Luckily it was a 60 hp international with a bucket on the front and the bucket had enough surface area to keep it on the surface.
it took a couple of 4x4s with winches to get the front wheels out. The rear wheels were on dry dirt..

About 20 years ago the grader we had leveling the range hit a soft spot and went into dive mode. The front wheels disappeared completely.
It took a couple of 120 hp tractors to pull it out.

kootne
04-11-2014, 08:12 PM
Old Redneck proverb, "Never holler 'WHOA' in a mudhole!"

MtGun44
04-12-2014, 01:30 AM
Stuck a few tractors in the muckland in N Fla many years ago. We had one where we
were worried that we had "built a monument" - NEVER going to leave that spot. We eventually
got it out. Big Massey 6 cyl, I forget the model. Took 3 Allis-Chalmers WD45s - one with half track
rig, one with giant floatation paddle ag tires and one normal to move it out.

We were too worried about losing it to get the D4 involved. That 2-3 ft of black muck over red peat
is nasty stuff and can be really difficult to move thru. When you see red peat coming up, time to give up
and get off.

Bill