PDA

View Full Version : How screwed am I???

mrblue
04-08-2014, 11:21 PM
I did it this time, I listened you many of you. I looked up a web site called Brian Enos, and well, I got this big blue thing coming in the mail. Something called a dillon 550. With "conversions". I dunno this all seems kind of funny, Hope my friend Mr. Lee won't get too jelous sitting next to the next guy. What have I done, Oh what have i done.

MBTcustom
04-08-2014, 11:29 PM
I have one and love it.
The main niches it has filled is feeding my M1A and 45ACP pistol.

The only thing I load single stage anymore is bolt ammo and 44 mag.

geargnasher
04-08-2014, 11:43 PM
The Lees will all be huddled in a corner whimpering and peeing on themselves shortly.

As for you, MrBlue, I'm pretty sure you'll be ok.

Gear

alfloyd
04-09-2014, 12:19 AM
The only BIG FLAW with the big blue thing is:

It runs out of components too fast. Try to keep the primer feed full, the powder measure full and clean brass to feed it is a big job. :):):)

I have a 650 and I just LOVE it. :)

Lafaun

bbqncigars
04-09-2014, 01:33 AM
The 550B is a great press for almost all reloaders/cartridges. I loved mine until I tried to load 25-20 and .30Mauser on it. Now a red AP has taken its place, and my precious brass is safe. Blue is still my favorite color, just not in presses.

Garyshome
04-09-2014, 08:44 AM
After Mr Dillon shows up you will show Mr Lee out the door!

Doc Highwall
04-09-2014, 09:15 AM
Mr. LEE could become a dedicated de-priming press for brass that is going to be tumbled.

Patricklaw
04-09-2014, 09:31 AM
My 650 has greatly added to the workload of my unloading machines. I have several nice ones made by companies such as Glock, Springfield, and a few black ones I built from parts. Lately I hardly have time to get my cases unloaded. So sad.

jimb16
04-09-2014, 10:00 AM
I have 2 550Bs. One set up for large primers and the other set up for small primers. BTW The no BS guarantee is no BS. The second one was purchased from the widow of another shooter. It had fallen and had a lot of damage. I sent it back to Dillon for a rebuild along with a note telling them that I was NOT the original owner. I requested an estimate of the cost to rebuild it. Two weeks later it arrived on my doorstep completely rebuild and updated at no charge! Included in the package was a note saying that the machine carried the guarantee, not the purchaser and it didn't matter how many owners the machine had passed through. It was still covered! All I can say is "Thank you Mr. Dillon!"

dilly
04-09-2014, 10:10 AM
I have 2 550Bs. One set up for large primers and the other set up for small primers. BTW The no BS guarantee is no BS. The second one was purchased from the widow of another shooter. It had fallen and had a lot of damage. I sent it back to Dillon for a rebuild along with a note telling them that I was NOT the original owner. I requested an estimate of the cost to rebuild it. Two weeks later it arrived on my doorstep completely rebuild and updated at no charge! Included in the package was a note saying that the machine carried the guarantee, not the purchaser and it didn't matter how many owners the machine had passed through. It was still covered! All I can say is "Thank you Mr. Dillon!"

If you've ever wondered why Dillon fans are so fanatical, I think it is stories like these.

onefunzr2
04-09-2014, 10:15 AM
You'll have that star wheel spinning in no time.

As a long time user of the RL550b, I would recommend Dillon's progressive dies too. They have a quick & easy pull pin that makes cleaning out built up boolit lube from the seating dies. And a generous radius on the bottom of the dies that makes cases enter easier than single stage sizing dies.

Dale53
04-09-2014, 11:04 AM
I have been a good fan of the Dillon Blue since the 450 days. I now have two 550B's set up (one for small and one for large primers) and would HATE to have to go back to using another press for my general work. My Dillons have done well with both rifle and handgun bullets (I still hold the club record for Big Bore using my Dillon). I have loaded a couple of hundred thousand handgun loads on my Dillons. There has seldom been a wear problem and when it has occurred, Dillon has stepped up to the plate IMMEDIATELY with the truly "NO BS" warranty!

If a person has a limited budget, then the Lee Classic Cast Turret press is my recommendation. If you can handle it, then the Dillon 550B is my recommendation...

Dale53

Jack Stanley
04-09-2014, 11:11 AM
My 550 has been running for over twenty-five years now . It needed a part for the powder measure about four years ago . Dillon said send the measure back , I did and they sent me a new updated measure no charge . A pal of mine bought one of the LEE multi station presses and got tired of having to work on it . As for the LEE you have you could set it up for case prep I'm sure there some bench task you can find for it .

Jack

Smoke4320
04-09-2014, 11:22 AM
congrads on a huge step up .. your shop will be blue and green in no time

Old School Big Bore
04-09-2014, 12:21 PM
Like Jim & Dale I have two 550s set up in small & large primer, but they aren't Bs - I converted them from 450s (anyone want a couple 450 frames?) and liked the manual primer/powder systems so much I kept them. I load everything but magnum rifle or small lots of shotcap or multiball on them. You're gonna love it. Might as well move that red doorstop over to make room for your next one.
@ GoodSteel - what hindereth thee from loading your .44s on it? Those are the major portion of my machine's diet.

dverna
04-09-2014, 12:35 PM
The 550B has one potentially fatal flaw. It does not auto-index. So, when loading light loads and most pistol loads you need to be sure you do not have a brain phart and double charge. I use a 550B, so I am not bashing the machine - just noting its weakness.

On the 650 and 1050, I added powder check dies and use them for pistol loads - that is all I load on the fast machines. Even with auto-index, mistakes can happen. Most likely a squib - but still not a good thing. You cannot add a powder check on the 550B.

It is one reason, if I was starting over again, I would likely go with the Hornady. It is only a bit more and auto-index is safer IMHO.

Having owned 5 Dillons and now down to three, I think they are good machines and have great customer support. But Hornady learned from them and may be a better option.

One thing I hate is changing primer systems. If you shoot a lot of and use both small and large primers, it does not take long to "justify" a second progressive.

Don Verna

Old School Big Bore
04-09-2014, 12:54 PM
Don - I look down into the charged case as I rotate the table. I like manually rotating the plate for the same reason I like manually working the primer & powder slides. If I have to back the plate up, there's nothing to disengage, and no auto feed to double prime or charge if I have to reverse the handle. I can also feel any problems in the powder measure or primer pickup and stop to fix things instead of horsing it into a trainwreck. I just get much better QC this way. To each his own. And you can use a powder check on a 550 if you seat/crimp in the last station, but my powder check is the Mark 1 Mod 0 eyeball coming off station two. But I am going to add the thumb wheel and auto ejector wire.

mrblue
04-09-2014, 01:19 PM
Like Jim & Dale I have two 550s set up in small & large primer, but they aren't Bs - I converted them from 450s (anyone want a couple 450 frames?) and liked the manual primer/powder systems so much I kept them. I load everything but magnum rifle or small lots of shotcap or multiball on them. You're gonna love it. Might as well move that red doorstop over to make room for your next one.
@ GoodSteel - what hindereth thee from loading your .44s on it? Those are the major portion of my machine's diet.

Icf youre giving away frames I'd take one off your hands. LOL

Walter Laich
04-09-2014, 02:03 PM
Mr. LEE could become a dedicated de-priming press for brass that is going to be tumbled.

Plus I use it to load rifle--I have SDBs for all my pistol calibers

sigep1764
04-09-2014, 03:31 PM
My first press was/is a Dillon. I read reviews and testimonials for months before buying a press. I have no experience on any other brand. Having said that, I love my SDB. It has given me no trouble save for a stray primer or two. The instructions kind of sucked but I blamed that on my inexperience. It is simple and super easy to adjust when needed. It is my belief you and I have made good and longlasting investments. They ain't cheap.

Nueces
04-09-2014, 05:37 PM
[QUOTE=(anyone want a couple 450 frames?)[/QUOTE]

Sure, I'm interested in a 450 frame. I want to set one up for cowboy 45 Colt rounds. Please PM me if you're serious.

MrWolf
04-09-2014, 05:43 PM
You will love the 550b. I find myself getting conversions for everything I own whether I currently shoot them or not. But I am saving money as I tell the wife :rolleyes:

Cadillo
04-09-2014, 06:11 PM
I've been running one since 1986.

The best for handgun ammo!