PDA

View Full Version : MARLIN purchased by ....................FYI.

HiVelocity
01-01-2008, 01:09 PM
26 Dec 07

More developments in the Industry:

Cerebus, the company that owns DPMS, Bushmaster, and Remington is absorbing Marlin as well!

/John
:-?

jtaylor1960
01-01-2008, 02:53 PM
I have a hard time thinking this will be a good thing.Marlin has been doing very well lately all by itself.The product lines and quality have been great.Just like S&W buying T/C and now all you see is expensive Contender style guns and the traditional arms they are famous for are all but gone from the catalogs.I hate to sound so negative but if it isn't broke don't fix it.

Rafe Covington
01-03-2008, 01:19 PM
I have shot contenders and encores for about 30 years, S&W buying Thompson-Center is not going to be good got TC shooters. The same applies to Marlin, if anybody thinks that there are not going to big changes at Marlin than they have more faith than I do.
It seems to me that in a few years 3 or 4 holding companies are going to control the entire gun and reloading market, that means that they can do anything they want. My dad always said you don't have to outlaw guns just make them so expensive people can't afford to buy or shoot them. In my opinion that is what is coming in the near future.
Sorry for being long winded.:drinks:

anachronism
01-03-2008, 11:41 PM
Too many eggs for one basket, in my opinion. I can't help but remember S&W and Colt turning their backs on the public markets in favor of Government contracts. The "old" S&W got the message with the boycott, but Colt Never did seem to care about the retail market too much anyway.

Arlo
01-05-2008, 11:56 PM
Cerberus has also snapped up Cobb Manufacturing. Why do I think if they (Ceberus) want government contracts they will have to bend to political will? What that means for citizen owners may not be good. :mad:

MakeMineA10mm
01-06-2008, 01:43 AM
Worse than focusing on govt. contracts is that when companies like this start looking at ways of "economizing," they start looking at moving production overseas, and discontinuing models that there are "duplicates" or "competing models" of in one of their sub-companies... I think this will hurt DPMS, Bushmaster, and to a lessor extent Cobb, more than Marlin.

We may see some economizing like Remington barrels on Marlin rifles though... Remington doesn't have a lever-action line, so that's pretty safe... Marlin could lose some of it's bolt-action 22s though, since the Remington would be perceived as a better product from a manufacturing standpoint.

Swamprat1052
01-06-2008, 02:44 AM
I just hope them folks havent got a higher agenda. My Mom always said its a bad thing to put all your eggs in one basket. If that outfit folded it would sure put a dent in the American Gun manufacturers. I know they have lots of money invested but theres an awful lot of big money out there thats not on our side.

I guess I'm paranoid in my old age.

Swamprat

MakeMineA10mm
01-07-2008, 12:51 AM
Forgot all about the new Remington Mauser rifle... It is from, overseas!!! First sign of bad things to come, BUT, unless they start talking about closing down production lines here and opening them up in Mexico or Serbia, I'm not too worried. That's been hinted at before, and quashed by red-blooded AMERICAN gun-culture people! :drinks: Remember the furor over S&W being owned by a, (gasp!) British company! :mrgreen:

01-07-2008, 09:31 AM
All the more reason to vote conservative!! History and tradition, heck-even the Constitution, mean little to those in pursuit of power. Economic or political.

cuzinbruce
01-07-2008, 10:47 AM
I hope Remington does better with the Marlin acquisition than they did with the PARKER acquisition. The last thing we need is Model 336's made in Serbia or somewhere like that.

Arlo
01-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Remington has been hanging on by a fingernail since the late 80's. They have been unable or unwilling to invest in new tooling and their barrels have been crap. I have been hanging on to an extra 1989 PSS that I don't shoot, because if I built it up into a full on tactical rifle, I wouldn't have to replace the barrel. Actually, offshore production improved their quality on some items. A sad statement about what has happened to a lot of our industry. From what I have heard, Cerberus is purchassing U.S. firearm production facilities. They have enough bucks in their pocket to bring them up to high quality again. Whether they will or not only time will tell. Maybe pre-Cerberus Marlins will become the pre-64 Winchester of the next decade.

Cerberus has been shopping up a storm for a year now, seemingly coming out of nowhere to build a corporate empire. With more than $16 billion of investors' assets on its books -- almost double what it had in 2003 -- it has bought 28 companies and snapped up stakes of at least 15% in an additional 15 over the past decade. According to BusinessWeek estimates, Cerberus controls companies that ring up at least a combined $30 billion in annual sales, more than McDonald's, 3M (AXP ), Coca-Cola (KO ), or Cisco Systems (CSCO ). With more than 106,000 employees, Cerberus companies have a bigger payroll than Exxon Mobil Corp. (XOM ). Its trophies include 226 Burger King restaurants, the National and Alamo car-rental chains, building-products maker Formica Corp., and the old Warner Hollywood Studios, where blockbusters such as Basic Instinct were made. Its companies connect BlackBerrys, provide medical therapy, and set up military-base camps in Iraq.

Steve Feinberg (Cerberus) is described as a game hunter. Hopefully, he is aware enough not to screw the private sector. We'll see....

KYCaster
01-07-2008, 08:59 PM
"Steve Feinberg (Cerberus) is described as a game hunter."

...and Bill Clinton is a duck hunter...and Dick Cheney is a quail hunter...(no, not Dan Quail!):roll:

Jerry

Four Fingers of Death
01-07-2008, 09:20 PM
Whats DPMS make? The rest would seem to be able to fit together nicely. Might allow Remington to add a 'black stick' with the green logo on it to their line. The remington brand is like Motorola, a long term Law Enforcement trusted product line. Most armourers would go green to keep their trusty 870s company.

6pt-sika
01-08-2008, 02:38 AM
Whats DPMS make?

AR15's just like Bushmaster !!!!!!

And if you look on Remingtons web page they are going to be selling a nice camoed AR15 that they call the "R15" . Looks just like a Bushmaster or DPMS gun , imagine that !

Never owned an AR before , but I just might get an R15 in 204 Ruger this year !!!!

6pt-sika
01-08-2008, 02:40 AM
Dick Cheney is a quail hunter...(no, not Dan Quail!):roll:

Jerry

Now that would be the perfect "Quail" hunt for Cheney and hopefully this time he would center the pattern a bit better !!!! And with heavier shot [smilie=1:

6pt-sika
01-08-2008, 02:44 AM
I hope Remington does better with the Marlin acquisition than they did with the PARKER acquisition. The last thing we need is Model 336's made in Serbia or somewhere like that.

You may not be aware of this but Remington manufactured very nice Parkers in the mid 30's until the depression killed that endeaver !!!

And now all the Parkers they make come from their custom shop not Serbia !! Also priced about $40,000 !!!!

Marlin on the other hand has seen fit to bring the LC Smith back out with imported shotguns . Heck they even have a o/u LC Smith !

jh45gun
01-13-2008, 02:40 AM
Forgot all about the new Remington Mauser rifle... It is from, overseas!!! First sign of bad things to come, BUT, unless they start talking about closing down production lines here and opening them up in Mexico or Serbia, I'm not too worried. That's been hinted at before, and quashed by red-blooded AMERICAN gun-culture people! :drinks: Remember the furor over S&W being owned by a, (gasp!) British company! :mrgreen:

I know what your saying but it struck me funny as most all Mausers came from overseas LOL I suppose you could make the Mexican Model 1910 an exception as that is when Mexico started to make their own Mausers.