PDA

View Full Version : Calling Larry Gibson please.

Catshooter
04-08-2014, 01:19 PM
Larry,

I've read a post or two of yours in the past talking about making an "under size" Lyman cast the correct size. I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention though because I don't remember much more.

I have a 2009 production Lyman 429421 that drops 'em at .428. I'm using wheel weights + 2% tin at 680 degrees. I plug my pot & my hot plate with the mould on it at the same time so they're well pre-heated.

What do you do to fix these little devils?

Thanks.

Cat

geargnasher
04-08-2014, 01:27 PM
Raising the alloy temp about 50 degrees is about all you can do without major surgery unless you want to try a more rich alloy.

Gear

Larry Gibson
04-08-2014, 04:10 PM
I prefer to cast COWW + 2% tin alloy at 725 degrees. Sometimes we get, especially these days, batches of COWWs that just aren't good. They have other elements in them. Have you tried another batch of alloy? Have you tried Lyman #2 alloy which the mould is designed for?

I still stand by my offer on Lyman moulds casting undersized. If you want to send it to me to test PM me for my address.

Larry Gibson

tomme boy
04-08-2014, 05:23 PM
Send it to Eric at Hollow point Molds and have him open it up. It is going to be the easiest way to do it. He does a great job and will make it exactly the way you want it or he will buy you a new mold if it is messed up. His words not mine on the guarantee.

Larry Gibson
04-08-2014, 10:03 PM
Send it to Eric at Hollow point Molds and have him open it up. It is going to be the easiest way to do it. He does a great job and will make it exactly the way you want it or he will buy you a new mold if it is messed up. His words not mine on the guarantee.

Might be a good idea to find out if it needs it first.

Larry Gibson

Catshooter
04-09-2014, 04:28 AM
Yes, I though about the fact that WW ain't all they used to be.

I'll try raising the temp to 725. The new PID makes it easy. I think I also have fifty pounds of some old WW and may give those a try.

Thanks.

Cat

44man
04-09-2014, 08:24 AM
Undersize Lyman molds have been a problem from day one with me. Also hard to get an RCBS that is right too. I lucked out with the 30-30 mold casting at .311" but the 45-70 was .457".
WW's are a problem since they don't sort and melt all the stick on things to make new weights.

243winxb
04-09-2014, 10:43 AM
Have you tried Lyman #2 alloy which the mould is designed for?
+1 A high percentage of antimony makes bullets fatter.

Larry Gibson
04-09-2014, 10:53 AM
My offer to test any new Lyman mould still stands and I will buy it from you for what you paid if it doesn't cast to nominal diameter. PM for address if anyone is interested.

Larry Gibson