PDA

View Full Version : 125 gr rnfp older boolits

mmt44
04-08-2014, 11:01 AM
A friend of mine recently gave me some older boolits that he had no use for. They are 125 gr. rnfp .357 dia. Magnus I think was the name on the box. Anyway, These have evidently been sitting around his house for years in unopened box. When I took them out they are pre-lubed, but with them being as old as they are, and they didn't feel lubed very well being pretty dry would it be prudent to tumble lube them before loading? Also, not looking to hot rod these. Just looking for a good load for plinking/varmints/small game/whatever. Any suggestions?

Mike

mdi
04-08-2014, 11:12 AM
Do they have grease/lube grooves? Or do they have a knurled looking surface? Some bullets were sold with a "dry" lube which coated the entire surface. I believe these were swaged and pretty soft. Yep, I'd agree, a coat of alox or 45-45-10 would be needed if I were gonna shoot them. Keep with starting loads and you should be ok...

jmort
04-08-2014, 11:19 AM
I had some Magnus Boolits and they were hard-ball alloy and lube was hard/brittle. If they were mine, I would tumble lube and shoot.

Shiloh
04-08-2014, 11:27 AM
Is the lube flaking out??
There is always jmortimers suggestion of tumble lubing them. I would cut your lube plenty this for treating these boolits.
Wonder if the .357 sizing will shoot as well as the .358??

shiloh

mmt44
04-08-2014, 01:27 PM
They have lube in the groove, but as I am no expert it appears to be a little on the hard side. I will tumble lube and shoot them. I don't know if the .357 will shoot as good as .358, but we will give it a whirl and see. Soon as I get some powder and primers that is.

Mike