PDA

View Full Version : My way of seating gas checks with Lee

armednfree
04-08-2014, 09:28 AM
I probably have a different way, I don't know. I have this Texas H press, old one. I have a lube pad that I put alox in, which I thin with mineral spirits. I put three drops of mineral spirits in it before I start. I roll the boolit on the pad then put on the gas check. Then I put it between the halves of the press and bump it on. I check it to see if it's evenly seated, if its not that is a slight burr on the bullet shank. Pop it back off and take a pen knife and scrap away that burr. Put it back on, check it them run it through the sizer. I wear latex gloves and build up lube on my fingers, enough that I can lube a few bullets just by rolling them between my fingers.

Yeah, I'm a bit picky on this. Maybe I take QC a little far, but I make good boolits. I'm even more picky when I make hunting loads.

Garyshome
04-08-2014, 09:34 AM
Picky is a good thing!

mdi
04-08-2014, 11:16 AM
Not so picky. Seems you're just lubing the bullet before sizing and making sure the gas check seats square. Good job...

armednfree
04-09-2014, 01:38 AM
Well, I use a piece of white paper in the light and roll the bullet on it. I look for flaws. If it is a gas check bullet it is meant for hunting ultimately, so I use real good QC. Other boolits I use for combat training and just blasting, not so careful. That finest accuracy doesn't count for much when you are double tapping at 7-12 yards from a SB pistol..