PDA

View Full Version : OAL for semi wad cutters

lockinload
04-07-2014, 09:56 AM
So, I've loaded my first SWC and I am having some issues with the round
failing to go into battery. Looks like the edge of the wadcutter is hanging
once in awhile. Question, should that edge be set flush with the brass?
40 SW 145 grain. All in all, my first rounds shot really well, love the holes
that SWC leaves. Need to get this issue resolved however.

On a side note I'm also thinking my lead may be soft and that could contribute
to failure to load. These rounds have been powder coated and resized.

ACrowe25
04-07-2014, 11:19 AM
Pull your barrel and give it the plunk test.

Also I've had similar problems with not ENOUGH crimp on my swc 45s.

gray wolf
04-07-2014, 12:25 PM
try the search function, a wealth of info there.

MtGun44
04-07-2014, 02:29 PM
Two settings for semiauto ammo, seating depth and degree of taper crimp.

Both are set by using the dismounted barrel as a gauge. Set the LOA so that
the rifling does not mark the boolit, and set the degree of TC so that the loaded
round will drop freely (max 1 lb push with fingertip) all the way into the chamber.

"Too much" taper crimp seems to be widely feared, and an 'badness' caused by it
is mythical or nearly so, too little taper crimp has a serious effect on feeding,
commonly causing failures to close. "Over crimp" is a far safer place to be than
"under crimp".

Bill

lockinload
04-07-2014, 04:36 PM
Two settings for semiauto ammo, seating depth and degree of taper crimp.

Both are set by using the dismounted barrel as a gauge. Set the LOA so that
the rifling does not mark the boolit, and set the degree of TC so that the loaded
round will drop freely (max 1 lb push with fingertip) all the way into the chamber.

"Too much" taper crimp seems to be widely feared, and an 'badness' caused by it
is mythical or nearly so, too little taper crimp has a serious effect on feeding,
commonly causing failures to close. "Over crimp" is a far safer place to be than
"under crimp".

Bill

I have been loading for many years and never had an issue like I experienced yesterday.
I just don't have experience casting and powdering coating and on top of that loading
SWC. I have never used them before. The edge of the boolit (at the cutting part) is showing signs
of distress. It certainly is a sharp corner to get slammed into a chamber. I'm guessing that the
boolit should be set flush with the top of the brass. Just wondering if that is standard practice for
semi wad cutters. Never had a crimp problem before and not opposed to increasing the crimp if
necessary but I think I will try and solve problem one step at a time.

Btw, I use case gauges on all of my loads and the rounds dropped in and out freely.

wv109323
04-07-2014, 08:05 PM
The lead should extend out of the brass case 1/32 of an inch. This is the optimal configuration for feeding reliability. With the bullet corner flush, there is a square corner to start into the chamber. Load up a dummy round and make sure the round will chamber at this OAL. It should.

MtGun44
04-08-2014, 12:34 AM
Not normal to set corner of SWC to top of brass. Seat out to just clear
the rifling, minding the magazine length limitation. Are you crimping
as a separate operation? If not, you should be.

Bill

lockinload
04-08-2014, 08:10 AM
The lead should extend out of the brass case 1/32 of an inch. This is the optimal configuration for feeding reliability. With the bullet corner flush, there is a square corner to start into the chamber. Load up a dummy round and make sure the round will chamber at this OAL. It should.

Yeah this is what I am looking for, thanks. Bill yes I am crimping in separate station. Dillon 550 #4.

petroid
04-08-2014, 01:53 PM
I shoot the lee TL401-175-SWC which has been noted to have feeding problems in some guns. I powder coat too. You do have to do the plunk test with the PC boolits as well as uncoated because the PC adds a few thou to all dimensions. Just start at the beginning, check all your measurements.