PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Burrito Shoot

carpetman
09-06-2005, 10:45 PM
Just a few more hours and the clock will strike midnight in Calif. The world awaits Buckshot getting in here and announcing the weekly winner. This is bigger than the lottery. The suspense is growing. BTW,anybody wanting to make bets against Buckshot,I'm giving tremendous odds on him.

Buckshot
09-07-2005, 03:32 AM
............Sorry I'm a little late. Right now it's 18 past midnight and the thought of a big bowl of ice cream will suck me away from the computer momentarily, I'm sure.

[smilie=w:[smilie=w: I won, I won, I won [smilie=w:[smilie=w:

Late breaking news from the front says it was a massacre! There were feathers everywhere, and the smell of burning hair:mrgreen:

Actually I wasn't going to post anything because we shot 22 rifles and pistols. Both iron sights, standing with rifles at 50 yards and peestols at 25 yards on small peestol bulls.

Did I mention I won the rifle part AND the pistol part, which should also mean I won the aggregate too. But since Carpetman brought it up, I WILL mention it.

For the rifle I used my CZ Trainer and shot a 90-1X and that was with two blasted 7's, which sucked 6 points right there. I think Deputy Al used a Marlin M39A, Glen had a Winchester M75 with fancy shmansy apurture sights, and Shooter451 had a Winchester M52.

For the pistol I used a Ruger MkII 678 and shot a 85-1X. With it I also managed to shoot two 7's. Deputy Al shot a Ruger military (polymer frame job) and the other 2 shot my pistol, as the pistol part was a kind of pickup deal. Oh yeah, I used Winchester Dynapoints for both.

I asked if anyone wanted to take my targets home so they could put them up over their reloading bench, and I was ignored excpet for Glen who held up one finger.................. but he never did take the one he wanted :D

So I won a whole $3 which paid for 3/4 of my Burrito or 3/5's of my range fees. Now LAST week I got my butt handed to me, but I don't recall much about that.

............Buckshot

9.3X62AL
09-07-2005, 05:30 AM
Today (well, yesterday now) was my day to get whupped on decisively. I'm glad to see how much Buckshot enjoys his winnings--although the purse won't quite pay for a six-pack of Budweiser without assistance.

But money isn't the point of the exercise, now, is it? Absolutely not--it's the thrill of the mano a mano competition, and not only against each other--also against the mirage effect--the air pocket in the castings--sun glinting off the sights--the figure 8's of the sights on the bull. Man vs. man--man vs. nature--man vs. casting anomalies--and in my case today, man vs. self. I couldn't hit the broad side of an agribusiness office site, let alone a barn.

On to other business. The Marlin 25-20 behaved itself for the third time in a row, on this occasion with loads getting kicked in the butt a little harder--10 shot groups with #257312 and stair-stepped loads of WC-820 (7.3, 7.6, and 8.0). 7.6 grains and the tried-and-true 7.0 grains seemed to be sweet spots, and will get re-shoots along with further velocity increment increases past 8.0 grains. Almost no pressure signs were observed on the soft Rem SP primers being used in these loads. I am tempted to scale boolits--but this is at most a mid-range rat zapper, let's remember.

I gave the Marlin CCL 32-20 its first test drive with both Lyman #311316 and #313631, and it did all right with both--a little better with the former than the latter. #311316/10.0 x 2400 ran about 1.5" @ 50 yards overall, and #313631/11.0 x 2400 went about 1.75"--both using 10-shot groups. The expansive buckhorn sights aren't a real good target sight, but they would play hell with jackrabbits I believe. These loads are not max, but are fairly robust--a definite recoil boost from the 25-20 for sure, but still pretty tame stuff. Both boolits fed through the magazine without a hitch.

I'm almost to the point of removing the scope from the 25-20 and attaching it to the 32-20 for load workups. One or two more range sessions, and the 25-20 will resume its Lyman aperture sights.

carpetman
09-07-2005, 10:37 AM
Way to go Buckshot. Was that ever a clean sweep for me. Folks were lining up to bet against you. I sweetened the pot a little with tid bits like,you know it might be a 45-70 match and he'll show up with .223 ammo and use duct tape to hold the round in posistion. Bout time for his sight to fall off again,that hasn't happened for atleast three weeks and the hose clamp is working loose. All kinds of stuff to enhance the betting and the out of this world odds I was giving. BTW Al I sure hope you enjoyed the Basque chicken--enjoyed the chat.

9.3X62AL
09-07-2005, 10:44 AM
The chicken was right tasty--Marie used a recipe that calls for "perdiz", kind of a Spanish quail-like critter. Tomato-based sauce with cilantro, celery, carrots, and chopped Anaheim peppers. Most excellent!

7br
09-07-2005, 10:47 AM
The chicken was right tasty--Marie used a recipe that calls for "perdiz", kind of a Spanish quail-like critter. Tomato-based sauce with cilantro, celery, carrots, and chopped Anaheim peppers. Most excellent!
Sounds good, do you think you could post the recipe. I am going to raid the freezer and pull out some quail and pheasant. Will use forearmed's thoughts on smoking the pheasant (now where did the pheasant hunting thread go)

carpetman
09-07-2005, 11:11 AM
Dep Al-When I have a recipe that calls for a perdiz I usually just substitute a gerund.

Scrounger
09-07-2005, 12:15 PM
Dep Al-When I have a recipe that calls for a perdiz I usually just substitute a gerund.

You substitute a cat. There was a popular song back in the '30s by Artie Shaw, I believe, called 'Perdido'. popular story at the time was that 'perdido' meant 'the lost one' and referred to the Mexican version of the bobwhite (quail).

9.3X62AL
09-08-2005, 01:45 AM
Quail tend to get lost in a hurry when I hunt them.

Marie uses the sauce (actually a salsa base we make in the blender from the BEAUCOUP Roma and main crop tomatoes we now have) at a rate of 1/4 cup of carrots, celery, and chopped Anaheims (NO SEEDS) to 1 cup of sauce/base. Cilantro is about 2 small stalk heads per cup of sauce--not too much, it will overwhelm the other flavors. Onions or scallions can be added, but again go slow with these--onions and cilantro can get fierce with extended baking

2 cups of this mix served well with the 4 boned-out/skinless chicken breasts. The breasts were pre-sauteed about 5 minutes on each side first, then added to a skillet with the sauce and simmered for 15 minutes at low to medium heat.

Buckshot
09-08-2005, 02:25 AM
..........Well gee! I win the match and now we're talking about quail recipes in the 3rd post! I might as well talk to Donna about it :D

What I wanno know is, howcome if you eat a couple Rolaids, beer foams in your mouth?

............Buckshot

El Pistolero
09-08-2005, 04:21 AM
Well goes to show ya if ya ain't the winner even yer name don't git spelt right!
I am not Shooter 451, used ta be Pistolero 451 but when I got back on the board here I switched to just plain El Pistolero.
Made it to the range just in time to for the traditional meal and ta whip out my Windcheeser model 52. That's the only thing I managed to do right. Shot a 71 with that thing on 3x (Weaver scope) otherwise I wobble too much on higher resolution. Don't have and iron sighted 22 as if it would make much deeference. The Burritistas let me use the scope on the 52 since I doan got nuthin else. Nice fellas when they want yer dollar. I got whipped in the rifle part and then humbled using Buckshot's Ruger. I trailed about 5 points behind Buckshot. Nice peestol though, kinda makes me regret getting rid of mine.
We blew of some fancy and expensive 22 ammo but I don't think it performed as well as the Dynapoints.
Someday I'm gonna have enough pennies saved fer an iron sighted rifle.
Just don't have the $$ or the heart to mar that Wincheeser. It's a beauty.
Well I got a few days to choke down this slice of humble pie and get ready fer next week.

See Ya!
El Pistolero(not shooter 4510

9.3X62AL
09-08-2005, 01:33 PM
David's Winchester M-52 was a beaut, all right. NICE RIFLE!

The term "recipe" might be too strong a word for the above text. Marie learned to cook at the feet of her great-grandmother Jacinta, who never used a recipe book in her life. Rather, she taught Marie's mom and daughters that ingredients have flavors, reactions, and relationships to one another, and the key to cooking was to know those elements.

Marie had a little trouble recalling the ratios of ingredients, but is pretty sure that's what she used. That's how she cooks--I call it her Duesenberg Method, in that no two finished products are ever alike. It damn sure works, though--and keeping weight off in this environment is a real chore.

I keep being drawn to the idea of a bolt action 22 LR, even though the Marlin 39A is a real tackdriver with Dynapoints. Mostly this involves using a scoped 22 LR, and I'm not fond of scopes on leverguns. To do so seems like putting a camper shell on a Ferrari, and the open irons that complicate bullseye shooting for me really work well for moving critters--and most critters that I hunt with the 22 LR move very well. I did miss having a scoped 22 LR during the ground squirrel hunt in Modoc with Buckshot, though. I think a CZ rimfire will become part of the picture pretty soon.