PDA

View Full Version : Is my digital scale "thinking" before displaying its Final answer?

Land Owner
04-06-2014, 10:31 PM
I watched, with interest, as the PACT digital scale weighed 22 Bator boolits, sometimes bouncing 0.1 grains up and back or down and back multiple times until a "final answer" was displayed.

The digital scale was calibrated by check weighs 10 grams (154.3 grains true) and 20 grams (reads 308.4 instead of 308.6 grains true) against an RCBS 5-0-5 scale equally "rated" (both 10 and 20 grams weigh true).

I "ponder" whether the PACT's load cell computer program is "weighing options" or "thinking" when it bounces momentarily between one weight and another +/- 0.1 grain above or below, for weights that are within 0.05 grains of the display weight.

Whatever it displays as a "final" answer is measured against its inherent +/- 0.1 grain accuracy and what is being weighed does not require any better "judgment" than that.

wv109323
04-06-2014, 10:58 PM
Yes my RCBS does the same thing before it locks in on final weight.. If the scales is near a furnace vent it will drive itself crazy.

dilly
04-06-2014, 11:09 PM
It's done by a spring. When you first add weight it's bouncing up and down very slightly.

freebullet
04-06-2014, 11:12 PM
Microchips fart too.

lwknight
04-07-2014, 08:56 AM
micro farts are better than mega farts.
Actually it may be borderline between two measurements and finally settling on one or the other.

RickinTN
04-07-2014, 09:35 AM
I have to be careful not to breathe in the direction of my Pact scale or it will act like you are mentioning.
Rick

tomme boy
04-07-2014, 09:47 AM
There are no springs in that unit. It is a strain gauge.

dilly
04-07-2014, 09:57 AM
By spring I mean the broadest scientific definition; an elastic device that stores energy. It can be done a million ways, including a strain gauge. Many people think springs are only the metal coils.

I'm fairly certain the initial scale drift is still the resonance ("bouncing").

dragon813gt
04-07-2014, 10:00 AM
That scale is very sensitive. Lightly blow on the pan and watch it change. This is a good thing. My PACT takes significantly more time to settle down compared to a Chargemaster.

Larry Gibson
04-07-2014, 10:41 AM
And it has to make decision if it is slightly "bouncing" back and forth between its +/- values. I've tried several electronic scales over the years (currently have a Hornady) and still most often use my Redding beam scale. The electronic scale is handy when weighing larger bullets but I find the +/- tolerances to large for smaller bullets and pellets. The beam scale is as fast and a lot more accurate with those.

Larry Gibson

Jim Flinchbaugh
04-07-2014, 10:45 AM
I've had issues with my RCBS under fluorescent lights,
and you cannot exhale anywhere near it while in use.
I use my 10-10 for loading anymore, the elecktronick one is only used for boolit sorting now

davidheart
04-07-2014, 10:48 AM
My Hornady digital scale does it to... it drives me crazy but at the moment I can't afford the traditional scale.

Shuz
04-07-2014, 10:52 AM
I swear that there have been times when my RCBS digital scale changes readings due to the shadow of my hand! But I love mine, and would only go back to a balance beam scale if my digital broke down. I've been using my RCBS for over 20 years, and it has always maintained the same zero, +-.1, and that's good enuf for me.

captaint
04-07-2014, 11:15 AM
It's not much different than your 5-0-5. Up, down, up, down. Settles on the weight. I like my little PACT scale. I don't use it for powder, however. Just boolits. Mike

MtGun44
04-07-2014, 02:33 PM
I'm sure that the scale makes multiple readings and if they are too far
apart it waits until they are very close. Like you watching a mechanical scale
arm swing and waiting until it settles down.

Compare a reading to one taken 1/2 second later, or even compare to the
average of the last three 1/2 second readings. Somehow it needs to "decide"
that things have settled down.

Bill