PDA

View Full Version : Firecreek- Unusual gun

David2011
04-06-2014, 01:40 PM
I'm sitting here catching up on reading and watching Firecreek with Jimmy Stewart. About 1:21 into the movie Stewart gets a gun at the general store, dumps a handful of ammunition that looks a lot like .45 Colt into his jacket pocket and checks the gun to see if the cylinders are loaded. It's offset to the side and clearly not an underlug. He swings the cylinder to the side and closes it while an ejector rod housing is clearly visible on the right side of the barrel. A minute or two later he is reloading a double action swing out cylinder. There are plenty of shots that clearly show an early S&W style frame with an ejector rod housing on the barrel. So what is it? Pure Hollywood? The front sight looks like a Single Action Army blade and the bad guys all have SAAs.

David

David2011
04-06-2014, 01:47 PM
Later in the movie there's a closeup when he's reloading as Henry Fonda threatens to shoot him. It looks like an older Colt revolver from the shape of the grip and has a retention strap loop on the grip base.

David

9w1911
04-06-2014, 01:51 PM
http://smith-wessonforum.com/lounge/319342-firecreek.html

rockrat
04-06-2014, 03:21 PM
Maybe a S&W 1917?

MtGun44
04-06-2014, 04:32 PM
Hollyweird faking a gun? Say it ain't so!!!

LOL! If you learned about guns from TV and movies you didn't learn much or anything
real about guns.

Bill

doc1876
04-20-2014, 01:39 PM
this "gun swap' thing is a normal thing for Hollywierd, there were many actors who couldn't use a single action, or there were scenes where the action had to be a certain kind of fast, that double actions were swapped for single actions, and then back again. There is a scene with Charles Bronsen where he had to shoot a guy "up" and off of him.(can't remember the movie name) He used 2 double actions for that scene, however carried a single action in the rest of the movie.
This was very common in the 20's with the silent stars, they could just "pull the trigger" and it would look good on film. I am sure this is where it started.

Col4570
04-20-2014, 06:44 PM
I think I see a Rubber Rifle When John Wayne Knocks a Mexican off his horse in the Alamo.I might add that this is my favourite movie of all time.