PDA

View Full Version : Henry Steel 30-30 Opinions?

Foto Joe
04-06-2014, 12:22 PM
A couple of months ago for my birthday my lovely wife gave me cash. Apparently she figured that I needed another gun and since I hate spending money she supplied me with enough to keep me guilt free for the most part on adding a new one to the family.

So I've been looking and thinking and waiting for the right one to talk me into taking it home. Yesterday I came upon a Henry 30-30 in steel at a Vegas Bass Pro and it talked purdy to me and really tempted me to take her home. The problem is I know NOTHING about the Henry. I do own a Marlin lever gun in 44 Mag/Spc and I like it but I've always wanted something in a 19th century caliber. I'd love to have a Winchester in 44-40 but my wallet can't agree with me on one.

Consequently, before I make the final decision on a Henry I'd like some opinions.

jmort
04-06-2014, 12:37 PM
I like the "plain" Henry .30-30. Looks real good. Every report I have seen has been stellar. On my wish list.

Tatume
04-06-2014, 12:39 PM
Henry is on my wish list too. They have a stellar reputation for customer service, quality, dependability, and accuracy. They are made in America.

Foto Joe
04-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Now...the question is steel or brass? The brass receiver is purdy but what's the likelyhood that you can stretch that brass like can happen on a brass frame Black Powder pistol??

Wayne Smith
04-06-2014, 07:29 PM
Since you titled this thread "Steel Henry" I assume you have unconsciously already made up your mind.

wch
04-06-2014, 07:32 PM
Henry Rifle Co is a good outfit selling excellent arms.

**oneshot**
04-06-2014, 07:38 PM
I have one and love it. Crisp trigger, shoots awesome, balances well for offhand shooting. Check boolit fit before you load up a bunch as mine has a short throat and wouldn't chamber the boolit I use for my .308.

DLCTEX
04-06-2014, 07:42 PM
I thought the brass was a cover over steel, not sure.

brtelec
04-06-2014, 07:54 PM
I bought a steel 30-30 because it had the ghost ring rear sight on the receiver as opposed to the standard rear sight on the barrel. I like the look of the brass but figured that for what I plan to use it for it may take a beating.

NVScouter
04-07-2014, 08:32 AM
I think its a cover too. On my 22 it is. When I first bought my Henry it had a scope and shot 2' left no matter what. They overnighted me a new cover and it shot fine. Ditched the scope soon after but hey they earned good will from me.

I like the plain Jane steel 30-30s myself.

Dan Cash
04-07-2014, 08:37 AM
Find an older, used Marlin. You will be money and gun ahead. If you worry about used guns, keep in mind that if it is not obviously broken, bulged, dented or rusted shut it is probably alright. A good older marlin in 30-30 can be had in the $300 range and an even sweeter "waffle top" for around $400. You will then have a real gun for the ages.

popper
04-07-2014, 10:07 AM
Go for a good Marlin. Nothing against Henry.

Foto Joe
04-07-2014, 11:21 AM
I've got no problems with Marlin, I own one and use it regularly to drive nails at 50 yards.:kidding:

My original search was for Winchester or Henry and the pre '64 Winchesters I've found just haven't talked to me I guess. The Henry has caught my eye and the more I think about it the more I'm getting the vibe that one will show up at my door someday and ask to stay. I think that I am going to go for the brass receiver simply because I like the look of it with an octagon barrel. Since this won't be used for much other than ringing bells at 50-100 yards and occasionally letting a deer outsmart me I figure that the brass will continue to look nice for a while. When it no longer is purdy then I'll probably strip the bluing, polish it out in the white and then brown it.

Tatume
04-07-2014, 02:06 PM
Find an older, used Marlin. ... and an even sweeter "waffle top" for around $400.

I have a pre-safety Marlin 336C, but I don't know what a "waffle top" is. Please comment.

Thanks, Tom

Lefty Red
04-07-2014, 02:08 PM
Does your wife have a single sister? :)

bisleyfan41
04-07-2014, 09:40 PM
The receiver is made of hardened brass on the .30-30 model; not a cover. Go for it-you won't be disappointed. Henrys are nice!

reddoggm
04-07-2014, 09:50 PM
I don,t know about the Henry 30-30 but I have a (Brass) Big Boy in 45 LC and Love it I swear I,m shooting a .22 When I drop the Hammer on that one Real Nice Gun You can always get yourself some Skinner sights for it if you don,t like the Buckhorn
DOGG!!!

Tn Jim
04-09-2014, 01:37 PM
The Henry Golden Boy rifles in rimfire calibers have the brass receiver covers. The Big Boys and other center fire calibers are a brass receiver. I have a 44 mag BB and I love it.

Foto Joe
04-09-2014, 01:45 PM
I got an email back from Henry this morning answering my question. The email stated that the Big Boy has a solid hardened brass receiver and that it is suitable for all 30-30 loads that are within spec according to published load data. Now if I can just find one for a price that doesn't make me feel like banging my head against the wall.

NVScouter
04-14-2014, 12:33 PM
Have you called Linda? She doesnt mark up much and usually beats Rocky Mtn's prices.

I got an email back from Henry this morning answering my question. The email stated that the Big Boy has a solid hardened brass receiver and that it is suitable for all 30-30 loads that are within spec according to published load data. Now if I can just find one for a price that doesn't make me feel like banging my head against the wall.

Smoke4320
04-14-2014, 01:03 PM
Henrys are a great gun.. and excellent customer service .. you will not be disappointed

Hawkeye45
04-14-2014, 07:42 PM
I too have the brass 44 and am saving up for a 30-30 best lever gun I have ever shot. You will be happy with a Henry.

Mr. Ed

Foto Joe
04-15-2014, 10:21 AM
Have you called Linda? She doesnt mark up much and usually beats Rocky Mtn's prices.

I'm still down in Arizona but we're leaving this morning with an arrival target of Friday or later, seems it's still a little chilly at home this week. Anyway, I haven't contacted any of the shops in Cody, I figure that Rocky Mtn is right up there at MSRP. So far I'm still hunting for the right one. GunBroker had a few on and the only one that caught my eye had really good wood on it but the owner thought so too and I wasn't willing to find out where his reserve price was, it didn't sell by the way.

There's been a few folks that said it looks like I've already made up my mind, nothing really could be farther from the truth. There's another gun that could win me away from the Henry, a Colt 38 Super.

mdi
04-15-2014, 12:08 PM
I thought the brass was a cover over steel, not sure.
Me too. I know the "brass frame" .22 are steel with brass side panels...

Bullshop
04-15-2014, 01:29 PM
Me too. I know the "brass frame" .22 are steel with brass side panels...

Not true. Check the facts with Henry on that. The 22 receivers the part that carries the serial number are die cast of a zink aluminum alloy.
I believe the covers are not brass but also die cast.
A call to Henry will verify.

dk17hmr
04-15-2014, 01:45 PM
I have one and love it. Crisp trigger, shoots awesome, balances well for offhand shooting. Check boolit fit before you load up a bunch as mine has a short throat and wouldn't chamber the boolit I use for my .308.

Very short throat.... my marlin has a short throat and the ammo I shoot in it wouldn't chamber in my coworkers Henry. Seat them deeper and it's a shooter though. If it was mine it would see a reamer very quickly. Great rifle I would buy one in a heartbeat.... if I was looking for another lever gun .

I had no trouble hitting soft ball sized rocks at 75 yards off hand with my coworkers rifle.