PDA

View Full Version : Hardline Industries 45-230-RN Mould Review

Love Life
04-05-2014, 11:19 PM
Hardline Industries 45-230-RN Mould Review

With alternative bullet coatings (HI-TEK, Powder coat, Paint) catching on in a large-ish way, the call for a groove less bullet began to rise up from the masses. At first I was highly skeptical of a groove less bullet as it seemed to answer a question that I had never really asked. Well, recently my attention was snatched up by a groove less iron mould that Gunoil posted about. It was an iron mould, RN configuration, no grooves, and oozed quality in the pictures posted. It was made by a new company known as Hardline Industries. Hmmmm….

Well, I have been testing one of these moulds for the last couple weeks, and I can say that I am very impressed. Let me slow down though so I don’t get ahead of myself. I’ll put forth the reservations I had initially and address them throughout this rather long winded post.

Reservations about any smooth side mould made by any manufacturer:
Poor fill out
Not necessary (bullet design)
Poor performance
Won’t coat well

On to the mould and stuff.

The mould: The mould I received from Hardline Industries is the 45-230-RN slick side bullet mould. This is a 230 gr round nose mould with no lube grooves, and designed for the 45 acp.

Initial impression: QUALITY!!! Oh, and whole mess of oil on the beast. This mould is iron, has 3 alignment pins, closes like a bank vault, and has a sprue plate that could be used as a vault door. I completely disassembled the mould, scrubbed it in scalding water and dawn, dried it off, and put it through 3 heat/cool cycles in the oven. I reassembled the mould and lubed it with Bullplate sprue plate lube (what else?) in the places that require lube. I wish I would have snapped some pictures of the new mould, but I didn’t. Oh well, here are the pictures of the thoroughly tested mould:

Inititial casting impressions: I used too much Bullplate… The 1st casting session was really a break in. It burned out any residual lube, plus the Bullplate I got in the cavities, etc. I ended up scrapping that whole batch. There was a slight learning curve with the trough in the sprue plate, but I got the hang of it pretty quick. I used a medium pour rate and let the stream of alloy hit the sprue hole edge and swirl into the mould. Alloy was at 750F (I dug out the thermometer just for this and broke my multiple year no thermometer streak. I feel kind of dirty.)

2nd and subsequent casting sessions: The 2nd casting and subsequent casting sessions went like a charm. The bullets filled out perfectly. This was a pleasant surprise for me as I did not expect it to. Of course the BPCR guys cast huge slick side bullets, but the dendrites and synapses just weren’t popping on that one. A benefit is due to the mass of the blocks, I could cast many more bullets between cool downs. The sprue plate cut the sprues cleanly and did what it was supposed to do. Other than that it was pretty uneventful. No pictures of the cast bullets. Picture a RN cast bullet with no grooves. I weighed 10 random bullets on a RCBS chargemaster and got the following weights:

Coating qualities: Here is where I was really skeptical. I really didn’t expect the smooth bullet to coat well. I was wrong. I applied two coats of bullet coating. It coated very well as seen in the picture (Bullet is on the left).

Loading: This bullet was loaded over 4.8 gr of Red Dot powder (Random load so I could get shooting) to an OAL of 1.270-ish. As you can see in the pictures, the 1.275 OAL loaded rd did a solid kerplunk in the Glock barrel. All loaded rds fit in the magazines and cycled 100%. The nose design is correct so that you can seat to book OAL unlike with the LEE 220 gr RN that needs to be seated super deep. Lyman dies were used to load including a M-Die.

Shooting: Here is where the meat hits the griddle. The 1st thing I did was load 2 magazines and shoot them as fast as I could to test for function. Passed it with flying colors. I did this drill 3 times.

No amount of mould quality, bullet quality, coating quality, etc is worth your time unless the bullet is accurate. Well…look at the targets. They say 25 yds, but they were actually shot at 20 yds (verified with a Leupold LRF). These were shot out of a Glock 36 (you did not read that wrong) from a sitting position with my forearms rested on my knees like Mr. keith. Each target has 14 rds in it because that’s how the math worked out. I was very impressed with this bullet from this platform. No leading occurred throughout the testing.

Recovered bullets: As you can see, the rifling was able to grip the bullet just fine. The coating also stayed intact.

Summary: At the end of the day I truly put this mould through its paces. I cast it super hot and made it rain 45 caliber slugs. I was pleasantly surprised by this mould across the spectrum. It casts like a dream. It casts consistent bullets. The bullets coated well and were quite accurate considering the shooting platform. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy other caliber moulds from this company. The moulds are quality through and through.

Love Life
04-05-2014, 11:28 PM
I forgot to post that the bullets were .4530X.4532 measured with a Mitutoyo micrometer.

btroj
04-05-2014, 11:57 PM
Looks good. That is a well made mould.

How were the bullets to size after coating?

Love Life
04-05-2014, 11:59 PM
Super easy and smooth. No need for 1shot on these fellas. They were sized down to .452.

Moonman
04-06-2014, 12:08 AM
Love Life,

Thanks for the report, looks good for Hardline Industries and their new moulds.

I just got a message from Derrick about a New 9 MM 147 Grain Pill Mould.

Is that coating on the 45 POWDER COAT or HI-TEK?

Ausglock
04-06-2014, 12:40 AM
Good review.
I'm tempted to get a 4 cav 45 mould.
Accurate do a 5 cav which I Love.
Wonder if Hardline will do a 5 or 6 cavity in Ali?

Love Life
04-06-2014, 12:42 AM
Love Life,

Thanks for the report, looks good for Hardline Industries and their new moulds.

I just got a message from Derrick about a New 9 MM 147 Grain Pill Mould.

Is that coating on the 45 POWDER COAT or HI-TEK?

Mum's the word on the coating for now. Looks good though, huh? No special handling needed. Just dump on hardware mesh and bake...

Moonman
04-06-2014, 12:50 AM
Ausglock,

I think Mike and Derrick (formerly of Ballisti-Cast) work with Iron moulds

in the old H&G style IRON mold and looks like with an added 3rd locating pin.

Hardline Industries a newly formed company is working towards producing

a smaller number of IN DEMAND MOULDS.

They are presently operating in this new "NITCH" market of NO LUBE GROOVE

moulds for PROJECTILE COATINGS.

Love Life
04-06-2014, 12:52 AM
I am glad they chose to go with iron. I prefer iron moulds over all other materials.

Moonman
04-06-2014, 12:55 AM
Love Life,

YES, That coating does look GOOD, whatever it is!

gunoil
04-06-2014, 07:06 AM
Lovelife, why dont u re-sweat/re-wash mold again and start over with hi-tek bullet mold lube.

Did you mention the bevel base?,, my 2 molds from them are bevel base.

Call donnie an give it a try, no more goo'ee, sticky, burnt on stuff on your mold: SPRAY CAN (you'll love it lovelife).
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/null_zps8d15ce7a.jpg

115 gr
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/null_zps276b8d02.jpg

I have the 45 (230)mold too, been shooting em in my G-21. LOVE THE BEVEL BASE CAUSE I HAVE A MRBULLET DROP DIE ON 650 & 1050 AND THEY SURE DROP PERFECT.

New g-42/shooting 115gr and 120gr..
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/null_zpsf7680838.jpg

6bg6ga
04-06-2014, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the review. I had started a different thread in which I listed the black powder molds they were making for a different company. I guess the cat is out of the bag for good now. As you stated they are on thier own now and are producing high quality molds for now. They are delivering on time and the quality is there.

I'm thinking really hard on their grooveless bullet design but know nothing about the powder coating. Maybe they will offer something along this line. Makes sense to me. Buy your molds and your powdercoating from one source.

Love Life
04-06-2014, 12:40 PM
I plan to try the slick sides with good ol' LLA (mule snot).

Love Life
04-06-2014, 02:15 PM
Gunoil is correct. This bullet has a bevel base which made loading a breeze!! I may try that mould lube, but probably not. Bullplate just works. With this mould I cast a couple ways. I tried to cast the most perfect bullets possible as if I was a match shooter, then I cast it as hot and fast as I could as if I was noob. The results of my noob method is what put the lead all over the mould blocks. Time to get the #2 pencil out and clean it up.

Moonman
04-08-2014, 05:59 AM
Love Life & gunoil,

I just ordered a 9 MM 4 cavity 115 grain RN mold and
a 4 cavity 45 230 grain RN mold.
Both molds are NO LUBE GROOVE, IRON, and have 3 ALIGNING PINS.

Hardline Industries has them for 1 day on E-Bay at $125 each (BUY NOW) plus shipping.

I also have an E-Mail to RED RIVER RICK at KAL Tool & Die in Canada
concerning his mold handles and how to pay by Paypal for a pair of ("R") handles
(RCBS Handles) to fit the 4 cavity HARDLINE INDUSTRIES molds.

I also want to order from Rick a couple LEE Cam deals along with
a pair of his handles for 6 cavity Lee Molds.

Waiting for the HI-TEK DRY POWDER mixes to hit the USA, Donnie
at Bayou Bullets says he's not sure when but that "KRYPTONITE GREEN"
a color I'm interested in WILL BE ONE OF THE COLORS.

I need to also contact Donnie about the HI-TEK spray Mold Release.

Ausglock says the Kryptonite Green dry powder mix is just about infallible.

MOONMAN

hardcase54
04-08-2014, 06:23 AM
Got a link or sellers name?

hardcase54
04-08-2014, 06:27 AM
Nevermind found them.

Moonman
04-08-2014, 06:40 AM
Hardcase54,

Glad you found them.

HARDLINE INDUSTRIES is the E-BAY SELLER for everyone's information.

leadman
04-13-2014, 05:46 PM
Glad to see that the slick sided molds are working out. I am curious if a rifle boolit would work that is slick sided. Don't want to spent the money right now to find out.

Several months ago I cast some lyman 215gr RFN for my 41 mag. and coated, sized, recoated and water dropped 6 boolits after the last coat. This mold is old and bought used and it casts a small fin at the mold part line. I "found' them today and measured the hardness with my SAECO tester of several air cooled and several water quenched boolits. I had not tested WQ boolits that were this old before.
Amazingly the WQd boolits were from a low of 17bhn to a high of 22 bhn. The ACd boolits were all 11 bhn.

So there is a gain in hardness but it seems it is just slower to obtain it. I had wanted to test at one month but had forgotten about them.

I am going to cast some more boolits for testing this way and hope I do not lose track of them like I did this batch.

Fishing season will be over soon for me and then back to casting and coating.

BMac
05-04-2014, 09:22 AM
I ordered a Hardline Thursday night, shipped Friday, where the heck is the FedEx guy?

BMac
05-14-2014, 10:21 PM
Got it last week, 147 .357
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/15/ja5a9yga.jpg

Love Life
05-14-2014, 10:25 PM
Nice!! I need to get more of their moulds!