PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on self propelled mowers

Thumbcocker
04-05-2014, 09:15 PM
I am due for a new push mower for trimming and mowing the bank. I looked a 2 Husqvarna self propelled models. One with a Kholer engine and the other with a Honda engine. Are self propelled mowers worth the extra money or should I just go with a standard push mower. My main concern is durability of the running gear. Opinions and experiences would be welcome.

Sweetpea
04-05-2014, 09:34 PM
It all depends on how much you have to mow, and your physical condition.

Fwiw, I'd go with the Honda engine, all else being equal.

Beagle333
04-05-2014, 09:43 PM
Seconds on the honda engine. You can't go wrong with honda. I don't like self propelled, but that's just my opinion. I just don't think they are that much help.

dragon813gt
04-05-2014, 09:44 PM
That Honda one is a beast. A friend bought one last year. Pretty sure you can ride it if you wanted to. But it's really heavy for a push mower. I'm still partial to the Toro self pace system. Any one where you just select a gear is not intuitive when using it.

Bullshop Junior
04-05-2014, 09:47 PM
Both honda, and kholer engines are good. I don't like self propelled unless its a riding mower.

wnmGng
04-05-2014, 09:50 PM
I'd go with the Honda.

I love my self propelled mower, I bought it after I broke my back and I could use it with minimal physical effort.
they are pretty heavy unless you have the wheels going though.

Castaholic
04-05-2014, 09:58 PM
I did a little research on this last year when I bought one. The Honda brand (not just motor) ranks the highest in self propelled. The motors worked great with other brands using Honda motors but a lot of people had issues with things like wheels braking off, etc. I bought a Honda brand and I have been impressed with it. It was worth the extra money in my opinion.

Mk42gunner
04-05-2014, 10:37 PM
I have never found a self propelled walk behind mower that was geared right for me. They either want to go too fast or too slow; whether it is grass thickness or my walking speed.

Another thing is since I have been having problems with my back and knees is the handle is generally too low, causing me to stoop while using them.

What I did is re-engineer my yard to where I can get everything with my Kubota tractor with a Woods belly mower. I still have one strip that I need to plant flowers on; I can mow it, but once the idiot that runs the township's maintainer cleans (yeah right) the ditches one more time it will be a bit too dicey to want to ride it.

A very big plus is that I used only four gallons of diesel last summer, instead of one gallon of gasoline every time I mowed the yard.

As to engines, I have never read anything bad about either Kohler or Honda.

Robert

dragonrider
04-05-2014, 10:51 PM
I have had a Huskvarna for about 4 years, I like it. You can operate with one or two hands and the speed is variable, that I really like. Some areas you want fast others like around the bushes you want slow. I am not sure about the motor, might be a Kohler.

Mallard57
04-05-2014, 11:42 PM
I like both motors with the edge going to the Honda. I'm a fan of self propelled lawn mowers. The ones I have dealt with are pretty simple mechanically. Have you looked at any other brands, I haven't been real excited about Husqvarna since they got bought by White I believe.
Jeff

osteodoc08
04-06-2014, 01:13 AM
Get a rear drive, not a front drive. I have a honda branded self propelled mower for the past 3 seasons. Went out last week, set it to choke, 3 pulls and she was purring away. It had a variable drive so you decide how fast to go and it has seperate lever to engage the blade. I can keep it running while blade is shut off. It's a nice mower and haven't had a moments issue.

Whatever you get, be sure to add the ethanol stabilizer to it. New ethanol blends are really bad for motors in general, especially seasonal mowers.

elkhuntfever
04-06-2014, 05:55 AM
I have a riding mower but I need a walk behind for my ditch. I bought the Husqvarna self propelled and I am happy ( and I use the term loosely as I don't like mowing) with it.

Cmm_3940
04-06-2014, 06:05 AM
Anything that can't be cut with a riding mower or planted in flower beds gets sprayed with roundup. Arthritis.

Rick Hodges
04-06-2014, 08:28 AM
I have a Husqvarna self propelled (front wheel drive assist) mower with a Briggs and Stratton motor. It is about 10 yrs. old. I have done nothing to it except change oil and the spark plug once. (I touch up the blade once a year). It is the large rear wheel model. (a waste of money) The front wheel drive is more of an assist and it does tend to make the mower track crooked if you don't watch it. It takes some getting used to going from a non self propelled unit. I have not even replaced the drive belt yet.

dkf
04-06-2014, 08:36 AM
I still use Hahn mowers from the 70's and 80's. Light, simple, cast aluminum deck, they last and are really easy to make repairs when needed. The expensive behemoths they have now make mowing more of a chore than it has to be.

schutzen
04-06-2014, 09:52 AM
I don't use one, but my father used to. I had to rework his with larger driven gears because he could not keep up with it's speed. I would recommend a variable speed model. On as to the Honda engine : make sure whatever engine you get you have a good dealer to support it. The Honda dealer in my area is not worth killing. I'll never have another Honda engine because I can not get even mediocre service or parts support.

oldred
04-06-2014, 09:57 AM
The suggestion for the rear drive is spot on because while front wheel drive may work for cars it's just about useless on a lawn mower unless your lawn is table-top flat and short grass, come to think of it even then it's just a bad idea. Think about it, if the mower just needs a nudge to help it along (a VERY common occurrence with most lawns) just the slightest push on the handle will tend to lift the front wheels just when they need traction the most! Rear wheel drive however is just the opposite and the wheels tend to get better traction with a bit of a nudge on the handle while front driven wheels just spin uselessly. Even without a nudge rear drive gets much better traction because front drive is trying to drag the thing along while with rear drive the torque is trying to lift the front of the mower which transfers weight to the rear resulting in better traction, front wheel drive cars tend to get somewhat better traction due to most of the weight of the vehicle being located over the wheels but a mower does not have this advantage. Also try to find one with the biggest rear wheel drive available, Husky seems better than most here, but unfortunately most mowers have big rear wheels on non-propelled and front drive models but it's hard to find big rear wheels on rear drive models.

williamwaco
04-06-2014, 10:04 AM
Had breakfast with a friend yesterday.

He is 82 and still mows his own lawn with a Honda Self Propelled.

He said he needed to mow but his machine was in the mower hospital to get a new gear box.

It had stripped out.

He said he was a little disappointed in that it had only lasted 27 years.

He went on to say that he didn't think it was the actual age that caused it to break. He thought it might have been that curb he ran over.

Finster101
04-06-2014, 10:05 AM
If you don't think self-propelled mowers are a help you haven't tried to cut grass in South Florida. This stuff would be a weed anywhere else. It's thick with lot's of runners and feels like carpet when you walk on it. I use 2 different Honda's. One at my house and one at Mom's both rear wheel drive. I have had very little trouble with them. You will have to replace the drive wheels as they wear but how often will depend on your yard. Oh yeah, I got them both at yard sales.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-06-2014, 10:27 AM
I haven't kept up with the newest innovations them.
BUT I am a big fan of the older models of the Snapper Hi-Vac walk behind/selfpropelled . I bag my grass, and it's design (with added bolt-on "wings" on the blade) has a incredible amount of suction, as much as any Lawn vac that I've used.

The Rear drive has a differential so the wheels don't dig in on corners as well as a simple spring loaded lever to disengage the drive. The drive has several "adjustable" speeds utilizing a rubber covered Disk like many snowthrowers have, so you can go slower in tall grass and faster when you want, with just the change of a shift lever which is just like the throttle on an old farm tractor. The Mower deck is fairly thick steel, so it will outlast a motor...The draw back is, it's a heavy tank, but since it's self propelled, it's not as big a deal as you'd think. I notice the weight, when I have to lift the thing up onto my truck, when I haul it to some's house to mow their lawn.

Here is an example of an older one that's been refurbished.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snapper-Hi-Vac-Lawnmower-/141247734904

I have bought several of these and rebuilt them. It's a long on-going design, so replacement parts are readily available. I have put a $99 harbor freight 5.5hp engine on the most recent one I rebuilt. It has worked great for the first season. I call it a China honda, as it has most of the features of a Honda GX as well as looking similar.

cbrick
04-06-2014, 11:25 AM
I hate the idea of going to Japan for something as simple as small engines but I have to admit Honda has small engines down pat, just tough to beat. I've been hearing all sorts of not so good things about Briggs & Stratton motors over the last few years. I've been watching the local want ads last year and this year for a used riding mower and almost across the board the only ones being sold are Craftsman and with Briggs motors. Makes ya wonder why people are only selling Craftsman mowers and none of the other brands are being sold used.

Rick

osteodoc08
04-06-2014, 11:50 AM
I hate the idea of going to Japan for something as simple as small engines but I have to admit Honda has small engines down pat, just tough to beat. I've been hearing all sorts of not so good things about Briggs & Stratton motors over the last few years. I've been watching the local want ads last year and this year for a used riding mower and almost across the board the only ones being sold are Craftsman and with Briggs motors. Makes ya wonder why people are only selling Craftsman mowers and none of the other brands are being sold used.

Rick

I've got a Cub Cadet LT1045 I bought new in 2007 or 2008. It has a Kohler 20hp on it. It starts easily even after left all winter. Even last weekend, I fired it up for the first time. Started up and ran beautifully. I've been using synthetic in it after the initial 25 hr break in. The mower deck is vibrating badly and probably need new spindles. I've abused this thing and it keeps on working. I'm very happy with it. Now that I think of it, I've never had a B&S motor. It's always been Tecumseh, Kohler, Kawasaki or Honda.

oldred
04-06-2014, 12:27 PM
The mower deck is vibrating badly and probably need new spindles.

Could be or it could also have an out-of-balance blade due to damage or improper sharpening. Since retirement I run a small machine shop part time for the purpose of maintaining farm equipment for the locals and during the Spring/Summer I do a heck of a lot of mower repair and I honestly believe that improper blade maintenance is by far the NUMBER ONE cause of mower failure! I see destroyed spindle (quill) bearings, cracked decks and serious engine problems all due to out-of balance blades. Folks don't seem to think a thing about sharpening a blade and never giving the balance a second thought but balancing that blade is critical to a mower's life and I wouldn't even think of sharpening one without balancing it afterward. Another problem that's closely related is trying to use blades past their service life, 90% of the cutting is done with the tip thus the tip wears MUCH faster and tends to wear off rounded at the corner. Sharpening the edge and leaving this tip rounded is death to spindle bearings and decks but it's hard to convince people that it's cheaper in the long run to replace badly worn blades, the entire edge needs to be cut back enough so that it's straight all the way to the tip but with badly worn blades this means sometimes too much of the blade needs to be removed.

Not a season goes by that someone brings his/her mower to have bearings replaced or the deck welded and it's often the same story, complaining about everything being cheaply made and not meant to last but when I point at that wobbling blade and ask if they have balanced it all I get is a blank stare! A blade balancer only costs about five dollars and just takes a few extra minutes but it can save a person hundreds and prevent a lot of aggravation and downtime.

osteodoc08
04-06-2014, 01:20 PM
Could be or it could also have an out-of-balance blade due to damage or improper sharpening. Since retirement I run a small machine shop part time for the purpose of maintaining farm equipment for the locals and during the Spring/Summer I do a heck of a lot of mower repair and I honestly believe that improper blade maintenance is by far the NUMBER ONE cause of mower failure! I see destroyed spindle (quill) bearings, cracked decks and serious engine problems all due to out-of balance blades. Folks don't seem to think a thing about sharpening a blade and never giving the balance a second thought but balancing that blade is critical to a mower's life and I wouldn't even think of sharpening one without balancing it afterward. Another problem that's closely related is trying to use blades past their service life, 90% of the cutting is done with the tip thus the tip wears MUCH faster and tends to wear off rounded at the corner. Sharpening the edge and leaving this tip rounded is death to spindle bearings and decks but it's hard to convince people that it's cheaper in the long run to replace badly worn blades, the entire edge needs to be cut back enough so that it's straight all the way to the tip but with badly worn blades this means sometimes too much of the blade needs to be removed.

Not a season goes by that someone brings his/her mower to have bearings replaced or the deck welded and it's often the same story, complaining about everything being cheaply made and not meant to last but when I point at that wobbling blade and ask if they have balanced it all I get is a blank stare! A blade balancer only costs about five dollars and just takes a few extra minutes but it can save a person hundreds and prevent a lot of aggravation and downtime.

Thanks for the advice. I put on a new belt and took off the blades to isolate the deck. Made sure all the spindles and pullies were tight and still no dice. I just replaced them last year. Doesn't take long, but just irritating. The PTO is fine too and that and the engine him along nicely if PTO engaged and no belt.

Reaper
04-06-2014, 01:46 PM
+1 on osteodoc's post. I've had my Honda mower for 5 years with no complaints. Mine usually starts on the first pull though. Knock on wood.

dbosman
04-06-2014, 04:00 PM
My FIL bought a Honda mower some where North of 30 years ago. He used it for a couple of years. Then it sat unused for over a decade. First pull of the starter and it worked just fine and has continued to work just fine. I use Stabil in the gas and change the oil.

dbosman
04-06-2014, 04:05 PM
It's not a ditch. It's part of a rain garden. Plant a wide variety of native flowers and leave it to grow and bloom.
Seriously, it takes about three years for the flowers to thrive, but after that you'll have a patch of prairie to be admired. No more ditch mowing and you'll be providing native cover for wildlife.

I have a riding mower but I need a walk behind for my ditch. I bought the Husqvarna self propelled and I am happy ( and I use the term loosely as I don't like mowing) with it.

wgr
04-06-2014, 11:34 PM
Anything that can't be cut with a riding mower or planted in flower beds gets sprayed with roundup. Arthritis.
+1 on that

winelover
04-07-2014, 08:38 AM
Self propelled is the only way to go, IMO. I owned only two mowers since 1986. First was a Toro with their 2 cycle GTS Engine. I got over twenty years of rough service out of that mower. I even used it to keep open trails on my deer hunting lease and mow a 300 yard shooting lane. I purchased that mower just about when the 4 cycles were becoming popular. I asked the dealer why they still offered the 2 cycles. His response was that the commercial cutters preferred them, especially when cutting on slopes or hillsides. Seems that the "oil splash" system, used on the 4 cycles, wasn't conducive to long engine life.

I bought a Honda with a Hydrostatic Transmission, Cast Aluminum Deck and rubber tires, when I got tired of taking the Toro over to my Dad's house to mow his lawn. I purchased this from the same dealer, I bought the Toro from. The Home Improvement stores were selling Honda, but they were the ones with Cast Resin decks, synthetic tires and transmissions with set speeds. Even though this dealer sold both brands, I went with his recommendation on the Honda.

Eventually, the Toro got to the point where parts weren't available and I just left it with the dealer to cannibalize. The Honda, I took with me to Arkansas, where I swore I was through with lawn maintenance. That almost worked until we got Bella, our Boxer. Now, I cut the shoulder of our gravel drive so she doesn't have to walk in the tall grass, reducing the source of tick infestations.

The Honda is over 10 years old but still starts on the first pull. All I ever do is run the fuel out at the end of the cutting season, change the oil yearly and clean the air filter. Plugs, every other.

Winelover

Epd230
04-07-2014, 09:50 AM
I have had a Toro self propelled with the personal pace system. I love it.

I am on a 1/4 acre lot on the side of a hill. The gear box has shown wear for about the last three years, but It is still working.

I would not hesitate to buy it again.

bobthenailer
04-07-2014, 10:51 AM
I have a SP Lawnboy gold series been using it to cut my 3 lots thats on a down grade starting from the front street , been using it for 22 years with no problems just regular upkeep, except ign modules im currently on my 3ed replacement, i bought the last one through NAPA , there about 1/2 the cost of the ones i bought at the Lawnboy dealer, i did get the first one under warrenty

FISH4BUGS
04-07-2014, 11:09 AM
That Honda one is a beast. A friend bought one last year. Pretty sure you can ride it if you wanted to. But it's really heavy for a push mower. I'm still partial to the Toro self pace system. Any one where you just select a gear is not intuitive when using it.
My Toro Self Pace is new....and frankly I don't feel a lot of help from it. I like the mulching part, and keep all the trimmings for compost....but I sure as heck don't feel the love from the 'self propelled" part......sometimes I wonder if it even is working.......

garym1a2
04-07-2014, 12:37 PM
Being I am in Florida where the grass grows most of the year I use a push mower. I find most self propel mowers too slow and the mulchers won't cut enough during the summer. I just find a push mower (Briggs type) with big wheels and lots of HP. Last one lasted 8 years, this one is on year 4. I mow about 90 minutes a week with it.

DHurtig
04-08-2014, 09:18 AM
A word of advice about Honda mowers. When you check the oil, don't just pull the dipstick and look before you start. Pull the dipstick, wipe it off, put it back in, pull it in again and look. Many Honda mowers have a raised grid on the plastic dipstick that holds oil even though the oil level is below the dipstick. It will look like there is oil in there when there isn't. Don't ask me how I know.

Dave C.
04-08-2014, 11:50 AM
Be sure to get a rear wheel drive mower.

Dave C.

oldred
04-08-2014, 01:19 PM
A word of advice about Honda mowers. When you check the oil, don't just pull the dipstick and look before you start. Pull the dipstick, wipe it off, put it back in, pull it in again and look. Many Honda mowers have a raised grid on the plastic dipstick that holds oil even though the oil level is below the dipstick. It will look like there is oil in there when there isn't. Don't ask me how I know.

You got that right!!!! I completely forgot that one but I have seen it too and would have mentioned it myself if I had remembered it, your post just might very well have saved someone an engine!

osteodoc08
04-08-2014, 01:36 PM
You got that right!!!! I completely forgot that one but I have seen it too and would have mentioned it myself if I had remembered it, your post just might very well have saved someone an engine!
Good point.

Dont screw it back in when checking it. Unscrew, Pull it, wipe it, insert to where the threads on the dip stick kiss the oil fill hole threads and read it. DONT TIGHTEN DOWN AND THEN CHECK OR IT WILL READ FALSLY HIGH.

Elkins45
04-08-2014, 09:01 PM
I have a SP Lawnboy gold series been using it to cut my 3 lots thats on a down grade starting from the front street , been using it for 22 years with no problems just regular upkeep, except ign modules im currently on my 3ed replacement, i bought the last one through NAPA , there about 1/2 the cost of the ones i bought at the Lawnboy dealer, i did get the first one under warrenty

The Lawn Boy 6.5 HP Gold Series self-propelled is the best walk behind mower in the history of civilization. The fact that the EPA forced the end of the 2 cycle mower is enough to make me hate them forever.

If you can find a two stroke Lawn Boy on Craigslist then grab it and never look back. I bought a used one just so I can have a spare if mine ever goes. If you need to mow on a slope it will outlive 3-4 splash lubricated 4 stroke engines because they seize from oil starvation.

cbrick
04-10-2014, 09:02 AM
I put an end to my lawn mower drama. I was going to get the Husqvarna 53 inch cut riding mower with the Kohler engine. A bit more mower than I needed but it had the features including the engine I wanted. Then I also needed a push mower for areas the riding mower wasn't practical. I've been paying a yard service $40 to mow twice a month and when I figured I could pay him for over 6 years to make up for the cost of the riding mower plus I don't have maintenance, fuel or have to mow an acre I decided to keep the yard service.

I went looking yesterday for push mowers and based on recommendations in this thread I looked for some specific features, rear wheel drive for example. I bought a Snapper with large rear wheels, one lever height adjustment rather than height adjustment on each wheel. It has adjustable speed from barely moving to faster than I want to walk behind it. It has a Briggs engine I wasn't real happy about but with a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty I bit the boolit and bought it. Tried it out yesterday afternoon and the rear wheel drive did an impressive job on uphill slopes. Time will tell.

Now I need to keep paying the yard service, mow smaller areas myself, weed whack all the rest, maybe winter ain't so bad after all.

Rick

Wadestep
04-10-2014, 10:31 PM
I live in sw Florida and have a sarlo self propelled mower powered by a Briggs engine. It is now 19 years old and going strong. The only thing is it won't idle anymore, but it has never broke in 19 years of continuous use. I brought it in once about 2 years ago just for the fun of it. Figured a 17 year old spark plug should be changed out. Just don't feed them ethanol gas.

popper
04-11-2014, 10:39 AM
don't feed them ethanol gas? Went through 2 Lawnboys (FWD), 2 Toros (RWD), now have a Honda (RWD) that starts every time. I have heard that when the tranny goes - get another one. Now that is for 40 yrs of mowing. Lawnboys had carb problems and I got them for $20 used from a buddy that was a OMC salesman and got a new one free. Wore out 1 Toro and gave the other to my son when he got a house. Had the Honda for 10yrs now, no problems. I did have a push reel mover once - for about a month!

meterman
04-20-2014, 05:02 PM
I am the original anti-jap, but I am now on my 2nd Honda self-propelled. The first one ran for 28 years, doing a corner lot. I have absolutely no regrets. Besides, they start every time you pull the rope, unlike a green one and a red one that I once owned.

higgins
04-21-2014, 11:02 AM
I've used both types for trimming and I prefer a small, light push mower. Seems the self-propelled mowers tend to be much heavier, and the constant engage/disengage of the drive mechanism when you pull it back is annoying and has to be hard on the mechanism. If it is front wheel drive you don't have to fool with the engagement hassle; as you can just tilt it up to pull back on it.

If you enjoy tinkering and you're minimally handy with small engines can probably get a trim mower at the local dump/convenience center. I've gotten a few over the years that didn't run, but they needed nothing more than a carburetor cleaning. They weren't pretty, but if they work who cares?

gray wolf
04-21-2014, 05:21 PM
We broke down and bought a mower last year after me suffering thru using push mowers that the landlady brought us. I have really bad shoulders and knees and Sam has trouble walking any distance with his lower back problems, so I generally do the small lawn we have.

That said. Our lawn is up/down, full of holes, has places in the spring and if we get heavy rain that pretty much stay mushy for weeks. (high water table) I just could not push a mower anymore. So, after using our neighbor's Honda self propelled a couple times, we just bought a Husqvarna with the Honda engine. It starts with a minimal pull. Has a bag so I can keep the clippings for the composter and it has the adjustable handle speed on the push bar.

I LOVE IT....it does 95% of the work instead of me. I can make it go slow and just a bit faster to get up hills. Easy to clean up with a hose and the attachment that you plug the hose into on the mower deck. Just start it back up and let the water run and it cleans itself underneath. That mower is right up there on my list of favorite yard tools. The Husky snowblower is next...also self propelled.

I love Husky stuff. As long as you don't get the cheaper made models you won't regret them.

Julie

jonp
04-22-2014, 10:01 AM

Rick
I used a Craftsman Mower on about 1 Acre for 4 yrs with no problems. I got tired of spending 3hrs mowing the lawn and got a Cub Cadet Rider for $100 off a guy that just had to have a zero turn.

GONRA
08-19-2018, 05:43 PM
GONRA needs info on anything I can add to 89 octane gasoline to increase volatility
for easy Summer starting my Little Wonder Leaf Blower.
Thanx in advance!

(Am NOT interested in "carburetor spray starting fluids".) THANX!

Huskerguy
08-19-2018, 07:03 PM
I just saw this thread and didn't read all of the replies.

My 2 cents. I am about to replace my current self propelled mower. It is a Honda and at the time it was a commercial model. It has the heavier deck and overall is a heavier mower. The local hardware got a deal on a big lot of them and I have never regretting spending the money. Some of the tires/wheels and bearings are going bad on the old Honda but it starts every year with no more than 2-3 pulls and runs like a top. I asked my wife how long we have had this as she keeps every receipt. Turns out we are almost at 30 years on this Honda! Needless to say, we are looking at getting a replacement and it too will be a Honda.

I did purchase a mower for our daughter when she got her new home and it is a Husquvarna and I insisted she at least have a Honda engine.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-19-2018, 10:20 PM
GONRA needs info on anything I can add to 89 octane gasoline to increase volatility
for easy Summer starting my Little Wonder Leaf Blower.
Thanx in advance!

(Am NOT interested in "carburetor spray starting fluids".) THANX!
I don't think GONRA needs to add anything to 89 oct. fuel
I think GONRA just needs to Prime the fuel system.

On gas engines with no primer bubble, JonB will choke the carb and pull the recoil rope "slow and easy" once or twice, maybe thrice if the engine is notorious for hard starting. That primes the carb and cylinder. Then JonB will Unchoke the Carb and pull the recoil with gusto...Starts every time.

I use to sell used/rebuilt push mowers...some were tough starters...I'd show that little trick to the buyers, the mower would start on the first pull every time, that is the first pull with gusto...Sold a lot of mowers that way.

Lloyd Smale
08-20-2018, 07:36 AM
ive got a husky with a honda motor. Its been a good mower. That said theres two lines of honda motors. They make a great motor for there own top end equiptment and a cheaper motor for entry level equiptment and to sell to others. There still a good motor but not AS good. I remember one home we put power into when I was a lineman. they had a honda 5000 watt generator that had ran non stop for 2 years. Only stopped to change oil and it still didn't use oil. Don't think your getting a motor like that in a 150 dollar Lowes huskavarna lawn mower

GONRA
08-20-2018, 08:50 AM
GONRA appreciates JonB in Glencoe's detailed reply - put a copy with my Little Wonder.
Thanx again!

osteodoc08
08-20-2018, 09:19 AM
I’ve got a highly ranked (at the time) Honda brand (mower AND engine) self propelled mower I’ve had for 6 years. Besides normal yearly maintenance and adjustments of cables and such, it’s been an awesome self propelled mower.

Agree with Honda engine and rear propelled over front.

DerekP Houston
08-20-2018, 10:31 AM
Toro self propelled with Kohler engine here. I cheaped out the first mower I had and regretted it so when I had to get another one I spent a bit more. Only problem I've had is that cruddy ethanol in the gas gumming up the carb.

John Guedry
08-26-2018, 01:01 PM
I use a Husky with Honda engine and AWD. When you squeeze the handle, you better be walking. Starts on the first pull every time.

Huskerguy
08-26-2018, 03:45 PM
I see the gas issue raised on here. I have had four houses on corner lots over my lifetime, just how it worked out. This last one I said I want to get a blower and see how that works. The first one lasted almost exactly one year, it was a craftsman so who knows who made it. The second one and with my Stihl trimmer and Honda mower I only use premium fuel and have had zero problems since. The alcohol eats rubber and it only takes a little bit with a very small part and you are done.

sandman228
08-26-2018, 04:25 PM
my brother has a Husqvarna awd self propelled with the kohler engine I sharpen the blade and change the oil every year other than replacing the spark plug and air filter once that's all its ever needed . im gonna go against the grain here on honda small engines I know there reputation but I bought a new troybilt front wheel drive self propelled with honda engine a few summers ago brand new out of the box it was hard to start one day while cutting grass it just bogged and shut down I pulled my guts out for 20 min trying to start that mower (it was only 2 weeks old) I got it to fire it chugged at a real low rpm for a few seconds then died over and over . I know it wasn't bad gas I run ethynal free aviation fuel in all my small engines . I took it back to lowes and bought an awd self propelled Husqvarna with a briggs & Stratton and haven't had any trouble since, im on my 4th summer with it now . I realize anyone can put out a lemon from time to time but that was the 1st honda small engine ive ever owned and i wont even consider trying another . when my troybilt power washer died this summer (12 yrs old with briggs engine) i went to home depot to look at Ryobi power washers till i saw they had honda engines i wouldn't even consider it, i went to lowes and got another troybilt with a briggs.

Hossfly
08-26-2018, 04:29 PM
Yep I will never again put any whisky gas in my lawn equipment or chain saws, that’s been a boon for small engine repair for about as long as its been available. It’s non alcohol gas around lake here
At $2.70 even put it in my personal vehicles gives better gas mileage.

fixit
08-26-2018, 10:41 PM
I haven’t met a self propelled mower that was fast enough yet! I tend to run as fast as the engine can handle.

FISH4BUGS
08-27-2018, 05:47 AM
I had a Toro with the "personal pace" self propelled mower. Biggest piece of junk I ever owned. In and out of the shop constantly. Even the dealer was embarrassed. Finally, on the last time in the shop, I demanded that the dealer sell me a better self-propelled mulching mower at his cost - a Honda self propelled.
Not a thing has gone wrong with it. I send it into the shop every other season for a going over.
Highly recommended.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-27-2018, 11:14 AM
All this positive talk about Honda push mowers makes me want to go out and find one.
I looked at Craigslist, found a clean looking one (Honda Harmony 215) that appeared to not be abused, from the style it appears to be about 20 years old, they said it runs good and starts easy.
what surprised me, was it has a plastic deck...
...so the question to you Honda push mower owners, Is that plastic deck the way to go?
anything to look for? cracks or erosion?

deerstalkerks
08-27-2018, 11:44 AM
12 years on my Honda and premium gas, NOT one bit of trouble in those 12 years. Starts 1st pull every time..

winelover
08-28-2018, 06:55 AM
Hondas with the resin deck were sold by the bix box stores, when I purchased my commercial model at a Honda dealer. Mine has a cast aluminum deck, variable speed hydrostatic transmission, and real rubber tires. Hence, it cost significantly more. Held up real well for 20+ years and still starts with the first pull. Since I moved to rural Arkansas, six years ago, it has really taken a beating. I do not have a lawn, per se. I mow weeds on the shoulder of my 100 yard gravel drive, keep my ATV trails open and mow my septic field and small food plot.

When I purchased it new, it was a rear bagger. Had the dealer install a mulching kit and used as a mulcher.............up until a year or so ago. "Rock-in-saw's" terrain converted it into a side discharge. I swear, we grow rocks faster than weeds. Replacement mower will be a steel deck model, whenever this one dies. I doubt the resin decks would hold up to the abuse I have inflicted on it, lately.

Winelover

johnho
08-28-2018, 12:19 PM
Guys who cut my grass use power mowers. :mrgreen: I watch them every Thursday.

eck0313
08-29-2018, 05:53 PM
A friend that works on small engines told me recently that Honda has gone to plastic gears in some of their newer engines. He didn’t think the new breed of Honda engines won’t be as “bulletproof” as the ones that established their reputation. They will run quietly for sure, but perhaps not as long.

jonp
09-01-2018, 04:45 AM
Bought a Tractor Supply branded mower with a Honda motor a couple of years ago on end of season clearance. It's front wheel drive and guantee's one pull start. So far it sure does start with one pull.

Whether rear or front wheel drive, big wheels in back etc depends on the type of ground your mowing and how many things you have to get around. We are flat with some bushes and flowers so I got the front drive with big rear wheels. Works good for us.

GONRA
11-02-2018, 09:01 AM
GONRA took JonB_in_Glenco's 08-19-2018 advice - "2 slooow pulls, one FAST."
Little Wonder Leaf Blower starts up perfectly now! THANX!

sigep1764
11-02-2018, 10:50 AM
Dad has always been partial to Lawn Boy mowers. He's had two over the last 25 years, both self propelled walk behinds. They have a pretty good push bar system for the throttle. The its a sliding bar that moves up and down where you put your hands on the handle. If you wanna go, just take a step and push a little on the handle and it engages the self drive. If you wanna stop, stop walking and putting pressure on the handle and it disengages. Its adjustable as well for different walking speeds. The first one he bought threw a rod after 12 years of mowing almost an acre. Neighbor took it and put a Briggs and Stratton on it from his broken mower and mowed with it for a few more years and Dad bought a new one.

mold maker
11-02-2018, 02:15 PM
Goats are self-propelled, don't need replacement belts, and supply milk as a byproduct. They even make good companions if you don't let them see you from behind.

xs11jack
11-02-2018, 08:39 PM
A good friend of mine is a part time scrapper. He gets a lot of different brands that are the victim of leaving the gas in the carb over the winter months. Then won't start and he gets them. I have a Craftsman with a Honda motor and frontwheel drive that I bought in 2009. Still starts on first pull. But he shows up every now and then with something else which usually won't start and says hey fix this thing and if you want to play with it or keep it go ahead. Right now I have a Toro rear wheel drive B and S. with the sliding handle to match your pace, and it has electric start. I looked at the oil and it just wetting the tip of the stick and the engine seemed to be stuck. After several very hard pulls I got it started. I had pull new oil and fresh gas. I still can't get it loose enough to start with the electrics. Now he showed up with a John Deere that looks to have a pressurized oil system with a replaceable filter. I haven't worked on it yet, I think it will be the winter project. Oh no, he just pulled up with a Lawn Boy, what am I going to do with this guy!
Ole Jack

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-03-2018, 12:14 PM
All this positive talk about Honda push mowers makes me want to go out and find one.
I looked at Craigslist, found a clean looking one (Honda Harmony 215) that appeared to not be abused, from the style it appears to be about 20 years old, they said it runs good and starts easy.
what surprised me, was it has a plastic deck...
...so the question to you Honda push mower owners, Is that plastic deck the way to go?
anything to look for? cracks or erosion?

well, I let that one go (didn't buy it), thinking I'd see another one for 'cheaper' or for free after the summer mowing season is over.
Well, it could snow any day now, and haven't seen another Honda Harmony, for sale for cheap [smilie=b: ...now everything listed is snowthrowers.

Houndog
11-03-2018, 04:47 PM

Great minds think alike!

jmort
11-03-2018, 05:04 PM
Honda makes two lines of small engines
GX best and GC not as good
You want the GX, otherwise I would go with the Kohler