PDA

View Full Version : 7.62 x 54 brass ?

Johnch
09-06-2005, 10:33 PM
I just got a M44 in a trade .
I checked the bore out , not pits , slugs out at .3086 with no areas tighter or looser.
Rifling is sharp
Trigger needs a little work
Wood is in fair shap but lots of dryed grease

Anyone shoot one of these ?
If so what brass are you using ?
I see Sellier & Bellot has several loads with boxer primers .
I use their brass in the 303
Anyone use there 7.62 x 54 brass with cast ?

Johnch

Frank46
09-06-2005, 11:03 PM
Johnch, I have a finnish reworked model 27 and had lucked out years ago and managed to get 300 rds of hansen 7.62x54R ammo. Since no one at the time had ammo this was a good deal. Still using the first 100 cases. But later did score some federal american eagle 7.62x54R ammo made by norma. Haven't used any of that yet.
Sellier and bellot is good brass by the way. Privi-partisan (serbia and montenegro) just came back into the market (they used to make hansen cartridges) and they offer 7.62x54R ammo. Winchester also sells ammo but have not tried any. So the selection of what brand is entirely up to you. Have no experience with the graf's ammo or brass.
Frank

KYCaster
09-06-2005, 11:11 PM
Don't want to hijack your thread so I started a new one, see "S&B 303 Brass"

Jerry

crazy mark
09-06-2005, 11:38 PM
I have used S&B brass, Laupua, Winchester and the Grafs. All seem to work fine. The laupua is labeled 7.62x53R which is the finnish designation. Mark

Rick N Bama
09-07-2005, 05:18 AM
I have used S&B brass, Laupua, Winchester and the Grafs. All seem to work fine. The laupua is labeled 7.62x53R which is the finnish designation. Mark

I'm loading cast into my S&B 7.62X54 brass and it works just fine for me, no issues at all except for shallow primer pockets. I dug them out with a uniforming tool and they're fine now. Some of the brass is on it's 4th loading and, so far, I've not experienced any split necks or other problems.

Rick

Maineboy
09-07-2005, 06:06 AM
Rick, I find that Winchester LR primers are a better fit in S&B brass than are the other brands. They seem to be a bit smaller.

Buckshot
09-08-2005, 05:20 AM
..............You got a M44 with a .3086" groove!!!!!

"Trigger needs a little work"

..........Heh, heh. Kinda like squeezing an apricot. You just keep squeezing till it goes off. I have 2 M91/30's and the M44. All the same.

One M91/30 has this quirk. The rifle is cocked and if you squeeze and release the trigger repetatively, the bolt handle will work it's way up until it almost opens! Not dangerous unless you do that and then pull it all the way (if you can). I never tried that.

All the brass I have works fine. No issues. I have a couple hundred Norma cases a guy gave me when he sold his SVT, some NNY and some Graf.

..........Buckshot

Shepherd2
09-08-2005, 07:44 AM
The only brass I have used is Graf's and I'm happy with it.

In case you don't know it the M44 is meant to be fired with the bayonet extended. Mine fires to point of aim with the bayonet fixed. When it is fold back it groups several inches to one side. Try it.

Johnch
09-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Shepherd2 Thanks for the info on the bayonet .
I planed on removing it , so I may have to regulate the sights .

I have ordered 300 rnds of S&B ammo for brass .
I am a long way till if fire my first cast bullet
I still need to clean the grease off the stock or replace it .
I need to order dies

Johnch

bruce drake
09-08-2005, 09:31 PM
Grab a set of Lee dies for your rifle. Works fine for the money. I use S&B and NNY brass in my M44. Both brands work fine with cast loads and last for a long while. The NNY are better brass (thicker) buthas to have the crimped removed first but the S&B is just as good just a little thinner.

Bruce

Willbird
09-08-2005, 09:40 PM
My M44 must be sighted in wrong, it shoots to poi with bayo folded.

those guns will womp you good if you get all deliberate shooting them off a rest, it is more fun to snap shoot with them I think.

work with it a bit and most people will not belive how fast you can shoot one, I can fire round #2 while the empty case from #1 is sailing past my arm yet.

Bill

Mel-4857
09-08-2005, 11:59 PM
My Hungarian carbine shoots cast well. When firing fullbore loads it's a thumper. Up here it's very hard to get boxer primed surplus ammo but I got some Lapua brass(not cheap) which is really great.All three of my Nagants ;2 rifles and the carbine shoot cast well. The Lee 155 2R and the Lee 185 303 bullet shoot well in my guns. Mel

357tex
09-09-2005, 12:16 AM
jonch
I have a md.38 I load win. brass can get it in my small town.Its about $11 a box 180 gr it does as Willbird says womp you good.I thought about hiring some one to shoot those factory loads and just give me the brass.I have one box that I have loaded 12 times with cast not lost one yet.I like mine,I had my brother who works in a machine shop make a scout mount to replace the rear sight put a 2x handgun scope on it.Old eyes. :lol: It rides in the truck with me ever where I go.Coyots hogs and dumped out pets that chase my cows get to hear it speak.When the good old boys around here see it they LoL untill I tell them its a $100 gun scope and all.They realy think these cast bollits are crazy. [smilie=b:

9.3X62AL
09-09-2005, 12:49 AM
I had heard that bit about the M-44, how extending the bayonet would cause the rifle to shoot better. It might indeed, but I'm not sure how such tactics might be viewed by the Rules Committee at the Burrito Match--or the rangemaster Ray. I removed the bayonet right after I got the critter, and it resides in the gun safe with the unused handgun grips and other leftover parts. I suppose it could be viewed as a pre-cursor to the BOSS system, but--again--I don't think The Powers That Be would buy it.

Willbird
09-09-2005, 04:42 AM
The bayo IS handy Al, as long as your ground has some dirt mixed in with the rocks you can simply drive it in the ground when you want to put the rifle down, that way it doesnt fall over or get knocked over :-)

The end of it is also as I remember the proper sized screwdriver to tighten the gaurd screws, and it could function as a back scratcher too, and a spit to roast your possums on for lunch. What kind of rule making body could dis-allow a multi purpose tool like that ? I know some of the mil rifle matches I used to shoot the sling had to be on the rifle at all times, the bayo should fit in that catagory, and the troops were trained to use the rifle with the bayo extended from what you read.

Bill

mike in co
09-09-2005, 12:33 PM
Like Most Things It Depends On Your Description Of Accurate.

S&b Is Crap By My Definition. Wieght(internal Volume) Varies Way Too Much.

Winchester Is S&b 'nuff Said.

Pay For Nammo(lapua) And Only Cry Once.

Ed Barrett
09-10-2005, 03:26 AM
I've been shooting the brass I got from Grafs it's been reloaded about 12 times and I have not had a split or a problem yet. It's all been cast stuff through it and I just neck size it. The 91-30 I have shoots rings around the 44's with cast even though it's bore isn't as good as the 44's. I would like to put a peep or a scope on the 91-30 and see what it would do. Anybody tried a peep?

Buckshot
09-10-2005, 09:05 AM
..........Ed, gonna have to try some of that patching paper you sent one of these days.

Someone, I'm sure Lyman but maybe someone else at one time made a cocking piece peep sight. I think it was Jumptrap who was talking about it and he or someone had posted a picture of one. Most any other would have to be an existing rear sight replacement deal.

An old guy who's passed away now, showed up at the range quite often with some of the neatest nicest old rifles. Onetime he had a Mannlicher in 8x57 with a Lyman peep which had a swingaway arm. Since the bolt handle was midpoint of the bolt and with a split bridge, when you pulled the bolt back it hit the sights arm and pushed it aside. On the return stroke it's pop back.

..............Buckshot

Willbird
09-10-2005, 09:18 AM
I have thought for several years to make a cocking piece peep for my M44, it would be plenty accurate for what I do with it, and should be very quick sight aquisistion.

I know it isnt perfect because the cocking piece is usually wobbly, I generally shoot it as fast as I can at soda can sized objects at 50 yards.

sounds like it needs to get added to the winter projects list.

Bill