PDA

View Full Version : Heard about but never seen before now

mwc
04-05-2014, 01:04 AM
I been told about boolits backing out of cases while shooting, hence the roll crimp on 44's and 38/357's but never experienced it before. I know my 9mm and 45 acp have taper crimps I guess that boolit backout isn't that big of thing in semi-autos. My issue happened when shooting 45 acp in my 625 revolver, I had a boolit work it self 3/16 out of the case, a first for me. I have since started working up some lighter loads for the revolver and plan on increasing the taper crimp on them. Going to try a 10-12 BHN 230 RN TL with 4 grains of Bullseye tomorrow, I have some different molds on order so that I will have some different weights and profiles to play with when they get here. So out goes My plan of loading and shooting one 45 acp in both my semi-autos and my revolvers. Has anyone else had similar problems with Boolit backout and how did you fix the problem? What is going to really suck is when the new S&W 9mm revolver I have on order shows up and I will more than likely have to do this all over again with that one, that is just going to suck having to go shot that much all over LOL.

Whitespider
04-05-2014, 05:18 AM
The only time I've had that problem is when using Lee dies. It seems (to me), because of the short expander, the sizing die doesn't "squeeze" the case down as much as others. With some brass, depending on head stamp, I can actually seat the boolit with my fingers using Lee dies. A tight(er) boolit fit in the case will be far superior to a heavier crimp, both in boolit retention and accuracy. Still, too damn tight and the case can actually "size" the boolit during seating. Ideally the inside of your case would be .001-.002" smaller than the boolit, no more and no less. Sometimes standard dies (such as the RCBS style) tend to leave the case smaller than that... like closer to .003-.004 smaller than "nominal", which is fine for jacketed bullets. I make/modify my expanders or use the Lyman M-die whenever possible.. I've even made just a flare tool (no expander) for certain cases. Possibly you could just use a boolit .001" larger in diameter to remedy the issue.

dubber123
04-05-2014, 06:46 AM
Different brass can have different neck tensions. If you pay attention during the seating cycle, it is easy to feel. I can catch a very loose one about every time. For whatever reason, 99% of the time it is a Remington case. I can easily shove the boolits on those back into the case with hand pressure. If you simply just had a loose case, you might not really have a problem.

I shoot the same load, a 230 RN at 850 fps.+ out of both my 1911 and 625 S&W. Probably 30,000 rounds through the 1911, and close to that through the revolver with no issues. Good luck, I'm sure you will find one that works in both.

Tatume
04-05-2014, 07:45 AM
I routinely shoot ammo in both 1911 autos and M25 revolvers. The ammo is loaded on a Dillon 650. Velocity is around 850 fps with 230 grain cast bullets. I use this load for shooting falling plates.

When I load specifically for the revolver I use a 255 grain Keith bullet with a crimp groove, and apply a roll crimp. These are loaded to higher velocity, and would probably back out if not for the roll crimp.

Lee dies are used for both loads, and as usual, are never the source of any problems.

labradigger1
04-05-2014, 08:24 AM
I have had it happen in a 357 using j words and max loads, they moved forward enough that the cylinder would not rotate because OAL was exceeded. I now use more roll crimp on these loads.
Lab

canyon-ghost
04-05-2014, 08:40 AM
Had to change my crimp once, I just tightened the taper crimp more. The bullets came sliding out the front of the cylinder from recoil. The entire time that I'm pushing them back in, I'm terrified the 41 Magnum Blackhawk might blow my thumb off! It's a medium heavy crimp to do that, never seen it in 9mm.

CJR
04-05-2014, 08:53 AM
I had a 250gr. Keith move forward in a 44Special Charter Bulldog and lock up the cylinder. Also had some multiple loaded CB pushed deeper into auto-loader cases.
Here's what I did to solve the problem. First, typical reloading belling dies vary all over in dimensions. If the case is over expanded in belling, a roll or taper crimp may not be sufficient to hold the CB in heavy recoil or auto-loading. I did the following to my dies and progressive reloader belling station:
1. Size a case without the depriming/belling rod installed.
2. Mike the case mouth I.D. and compare it to the belling O.D., most likely the belling diameter is greater than the case mouth I.D.
3. File/stone/polish the belling diameter on the die or the powder belling insert on a progressive press until the bell diameter slips into the resized case with no resistance. The case will now not be overly expanded but the case mouth will still be belled.
4. When the CB is inserted into a powder filled case, the CB will expand the case and be tightly held.
5. I then taper or roll crimp the case as a final operation.

Since doing this I've eliminated CB being pushed into a case for auto-loaders or CB moving forward to lock up a revolver cylinder.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

CJR

beagle
04-05-2014, 10:46 AM
Had that happen on a .41 Mag S & W. I turned down the expander plug a bit and was more careful in crimping and the problem went away. Also had the problem with a M1917 S & W .45 ACP back in the old days with some commercial cast bullets I bought before my mould arrived. When I started loading .452" sized cast bullets I had made, the problem vanished. Look at your expander diameter./beagle

blackthorn
04-05-2014, 10:52 AM
Insufficient tension, and/or crimp, on ammunition for revolvers will allow the bullet to move forward, while the same condition on ammunition for automatics allows the bullet to move deeper into the case. As noted above, when bullets move forward they can move far enough to tie-up the cylinder. While aggravating, this does not (in most cases) lead to any danger. In automatics, however, deep seating will raise pressure on firing, sometimes to the point of a catastrophic incident.