PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 45 Lubesizer Help

Old Ed
04-04-2014, 03:49 PM
New man here.
Got a ebay 45 sizer I need a little help with.

I've got it all cleaned and ready to paint but some one has brazed a washer on the bottom of the pressure screw. Big mess.
The pressure nut is the old style with the brass skirt. Going to put in a new screw and an double O ring nut in it. Does it also need a new cap for it as well?
I broke one of the two snap-rings taking it apart. Can those be bought locally?
My biggest problem with this one is the lube reservoir has an 1/8 inch chip out of the top edge and has a bad scratch in the inside. I tried work it out with fine sandpaper, better but still there. Was wondering if the top could be ground down square to get rid of the chip.
It doesn't look like it would effect the operation of it any and would be easier than welding and grinding it back.

I also have a second 45 that looks pretty good. Thought about putting a new O ring pressure nut on it. Will it fit the old screw?

Many thanks guys. I appreciate it.

Calamity Jake
04-04-2014, 04:09 PM
New man here.
Got a ebay 45 sizer I need a little help with.

I've got it all cleaned and ready to paint but some one has brazed a washer on the bottom of the pressure screw. Big mess.
The pressure nut is the old style with the brass skirt. Going to put in a new screw and an double O ring nut in it. Does it also need a new cap for it as well? The old cap should work.
I broke one of the two snap-rings taking it apart. Can those be bought locally? Yes you can but it won't be like the old one, a good hardware or auto supply should have some. Take the other old one a your calipers to measure for size.
My biggest problem with this one is the lube reservoir has an 1/8 inch chip out of the top edge and has a bad scratch in the inside. I tried work it out with fine sandpaper, better but still there. Was wondering if the top could be ground down square to get rid of the chip. I would think it could just go slow and takeoff just enough, it could also be welded
It doesn't look like it would effect the operation of it any and would be easier than welding and grinding it back.

I also have a second 45 that looks pretty good. Thought about putting a new O ring pressure nut on it. Will it fit the old screw? No you will have to replace the screw also

Many thanks guys. I appreciate it.

Hope this helps

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-04-2014, 04:53 PM
snip...
I broke one of the two snap-rings taking it apart. Can those be bought locally?
those tiny things are hard to find. In fact I haven't found any yet myself.

snip...
I also have a second 45 that looks pretty good. Thought about putting a new O ring pressure nut on it. Will it fit the old screw?
Of the many "old" pressure screws from 45's, that I've played with, only one had different threads than the newer style...so you might get lucky.

Elkins45
04-04-2014, 05:37 PM
My new O ring pressure nut fit the original screw.

fryboy
04-04-2014, 06:27 PM
the top of the tube doesnt matter except in aiding to help start the pressure nut , if you change to the new style with o rings i would recommend taking the chip out ,yes grinding will work , you'll just have a lil shorter tube ( no problem ) but dont forget to chamfer the inside when you're done ( muck like a case neck after trimming )

i'm guessing you have a generation II or so #45 , aluminum cap ? ( ye older style had a spoked cast iron cap and a shoulder bolt for a handle pivot point vs. a rod with clips and cotter keys ) none of that matters if you keep the old pressure screw , if you change to a new one ( it will fit ) the cap will have to be drilled ( IIRC to 5/16 ) to clear the newer fatter at the top pressure screw , again no biggie and easy enough to do ( especially if it's aluminum )

as for the snap ring ... if you cant find one at a good hardware store search instead for a e-clip of the same size ( it'll work just as well ) truth be told i have used a piece of copper wire in such applications on other tools at the job when i've had to git-r-dun ,one such fix worked well for years until i had to have something else fixed on the tool and they couldnt believe i'd done that and it worked so well [shrugz] in this case however a thin washer behind it would help immensely

as for the pressure screw it's self , if it's a gen II it should fit fine , just remember to lightly lubricate it everytime you start it back in and help guide it to get it started correctly and the o-rings should last a long time that ways !
not sure what kind of lube you're going to use , the main thing is to use no more pressure than needed , that way if the scratch is too deep it wont leak as bad nor will it tend to get under the boolits as bad or seep out of the die hole ( top or bottom )

pworley1
04-04-2014, 08:09 PM
I have several of the 45's, My 450 is still almost new, To me the 45 is better. On all of mine if I just changed to the O ring nut nothing more had to be done. If I also changes to a new screw, I had to ream the cap just a little to get the new screw to fit through it.

Old Ed
04-05-2014, 09:21 AM
Thanks guys. That was a quick answer back.
From Fryboys description it's a generation ll. I'll grind and file back the chip this morning and get the O ring pressure nut ordered from Lyman.

I've reloaded off and on for forty plus years but the only casting has been single cavity molds and no sizing. Got four or five molds to start with and a lee 4-20 pot. Should be interesting. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again.
Ed