PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone work anymore?

btroj
04-04-2014, 02:25 PM
Seems a bunch of guys are posting today. Does anyone work any more? Maybe I'm just the oddball with no internet access at work.

Oh, I'm off today. That is my excuse.

Pb2au
04-04-2014, 02:30 PM
Yes, I am working today.
Stuck at my desk doing a ton of phone/customer/email support. Its not all wrenches, vernier calipers and protractors for me all of the time.
Ironically, the reason I am chained to the desk is because my one useless, oxygen bandit co-worker decided that coming in and doing his job was too much today.
And yesterday as well. He is a real go-getter.

So work load ebbs and surges throughout the day.

double irony, my phone is ringing.

HollandNut
04-04-2014, 02:33 PM
I typically werk at night , I left home at 1900 last evening and was home this morning around 0630 .. After all these years I still use the 24 hr clock

Bullshop Junior
04-04-2014, 02:34 PM
I'm at work. Sitting here. Waiting for the end of the drill rod, so I can grease the threads, and then retreat back to my perch to read the internet on my iphone.

archmaker
04-04-2014, 02:37 PM
Work from home, so my hours are not the 8-5 but do not have a defined start or stop, so I post some and work some! :)

Finster101
04-04-2014, 02:37 PM
I'm working but I flat rate so if I am posting a lot during the day the dealership is slow.

bangerjim
04-04-2014, 02:40 PM
Run my own company so I can do just about anything I want when I want!

Where ever I am and I have my iPhone and/or iPad, that is where my office is! And internet connections.

banger

SeabeeMan
04-04-2014, 02:42 PM
15" of snow last night...can't get out and work is shut down today.

plmitch
04-04-2014, 02:46 PM
Setting around reading and waiting for chemo is my job now.

OeldeWolf
04-04-2014, 03:29 PM
I am now permanently out of the workforce. One of the few, unfortunate men with both fibro myalgia, and rheumatoid arthritis. Just me luck.

waksupi
04-04-2014, 03:46 PM
With my back, I can only be on my feet for limited periods. So, I'm in and out of the shop all the time. So far today, I finished inletting a barrel into a plank stock blank. Reshaped the tang, and removed a bunch of wood from the plank. I have to make a run to town in a bit, or would be back in the shop. I generally work 7 days a week.

9w1911
04-04-2014, 03:48 PM
I work from home

Calamity Jake
04-04-2014, 03:48 PM
"WORK" what's that??????

I got SWMBO working so I can play, corse I am retired.

2wheelDuke
04-04-2014, 03:50 PM
I work in LE, so I typically work nights and weekends, and my days off fall during the week.

Col4570
04-04-2014, 03:51 PM
I am a 77 year old and retired so I can keep tabs on those who should be working instead of playing with these infernal machines.Having said that you guys have put me right on many shooting questions so I am glad of your extra curricular activities.:coffeecom

MUSTANG
04-04-2014, 03:53 PM
Twice retired, so I work when the wife wants something done. Tried participating with a couple of "Start Up" endeavors over the last two years; but found they had been polluted with today's thinking that hard work, risk control, cost control, quality control, business development, satisfying customer needs, etc.. are outmoded. Well, one day I'll find a new work endeavor.

In the mean time, refurbishing the Kalispell house and spring set up for the Moapa House keep me busy; so I can not shoot daily yet.

bayjoe
04-04-2014, 03:54 PM
I already got my 40 in for the week, but I have an ex daughter in law that could teach classes on how not to work and cheat the welfare system.

nicholst55
04-04-2014, 04:04 PM
I work four 10-hour days, so I'm done for the week. Not that that fact keeps me off the Internet at work...

starmac
04-04-2014, 04:21 PM
Nope, not working now, give it about a month and my season will be here in earnest, and post count will drop a bunch. lol

quilbilly
04-04-2014, 04:26 PM
Nope, not working now, give it about a month and my season will be here in earnest, and post count will drop a bunch. lol
Me too. In a couple weeks I go long hours all week. I am still in my slow business season.

dragon813gt
I get paid to do a lot less at the company I started w/ back in December. But when I do work I really work. Going from residential/light commercial to industrial work means a lot heavier, literally, work.

gwpercle
I'm at work. I didn't say I was working! But I'm the owner so I get to do what I want to do, when I want to do it. I have been known to come in at 4:30 A.M. to get things done on time so I get a break now and again. You may not get rich working for yourself but you and the boss tend to get along! Why am I even posting this....yeah its a slow afternoon.
Gary

DougGuy
04-04-2014, 04:28 PM
I'm in recovery from rads/chemo and will be for quite some time yet, looks like it will be a while before I am ready to fit pipe or run a crane.

bob208
04-04-2014, 04:32 PM
retired at 62 going on 3 years out now. if the weather breaks I want to start on the garden.

Crash_Corrigan
04-04-2014, 04:33 PM
I have been on the dole since '08. I retired from the NYCPD in '84 and only took jobs that interested me thereafter. My last gig was a roadside tech. If you locked your keys inside your car I opened it up for you. If you ran out of gas, I brought some for you. If your car needed a jump, I gave it one. And if your tire was flat I either changed it out for your spare or I fixed it on the spot. It got to be tiresome after a couple of years so I just packed it in one day.

I took my SS pension early at age 64 and along with my NYCPD pension I have been collecting ever since. My needs are simple and I am not a big spender. Life is good.

monadnock#5
04-04-2014, 04:36 PM
I punched off the clock at 7:01AM and don't have to go back until 11:00PM Sunday.

Moonman
04-04-2014, 04:44 PM
Work? Why?

I'm on a rotation schedule, first I load,
Then I shoot, Rotate,
Load again, rotate,
Shoot again,

Oh Yea, my checks come via electronic mail!

BEAUTIFUL!:Fire:

fecmech
04-04-2014, 04:48 PM
Work?? A distant memory. Retired in 05 and been on the dole ever since.

starnbar
04-04-2014, 05:01 PM
Retired here but I go to the shop and help out my brother a couple of days a week just something to do and my brother appreciates the help.

trys357
04-04-2014, 05:09 PM
Retired at 66 two years ago ... worked 3rd shift.
Lunch was around 4AM ... that's when I get up now.

w5pv
04-04-2014, 05:10 PM
Setting around reading and waiting for chemo is my job now.
Don't like the word chemo.hope and pray that you get into remission soon.

472x1B/A
04-04-2014, 05:12 PM
As a matter of fact I got called back Monday. Oh man what a mess, soybeans ankle deep and corn in some places over knee deep. This is going to take a few days to clean up with only a wheel barrow and a flat bottom shovel.

Can't wait for the first full paycheck.

Charley
04-04-2014, 06:28 PM
Retired in August, now I work on what I want, when I want.

Doc Highwall
04-04-2014, 06:43 PM
Retired. My job today was to pick up my new Leupold Mk4 8.5x25x with the TMR reticle with the M5 .1 mil clicks for my Anschutz prone rifle that I am designing a aluminum stock for.

merlin101
04-04-2014, 06:50 PM
Work?? Ahh yeah, I do 5 twelve hour shifts a week 3p-to 3Am or sometimes four or five.

Dale in Louisiana
04-04-2014, 06:52 PM
Yeah, I work. I work all winter making sure natural gas gets up north to keep those folks warm. I work all summer making sure natural gas gets to Florida to keep those folks cool.

I get to take a break every now and then, and so I read and post.

dale in Louisiana

osteodoc08
04-04-2014, 06:53 PM
I work 4 days a week typically. I will post in between patients or during lunch. If I'm busy, I won't have a chance until I get home. I love this place and find I've neglected all the other forums I am/was a regular.

bikerbeans
04-04-2014, 06:56 PM
I retired five years ago. I try and schedule my shooting, hunting and shopping to times & days when most folks are at work. If you are old, slow and mostly deaf you don't want to get in a fight at 5PM with a soccer mom over the last BBQ chicken at the Kroger Deli.:wink:

BB

TJF1
04-04-2014, 06:56 PM
why work I am retired !!!!!

JeffinNZ
04-04-2014, 07:12 PM
I'm in a different time zone of course but I do drop in to the site from work. Coffee/mental health break or between bursts of activity. Quite often have down time waiting for Asia to come on line to converse over shipments etc.

cbrick
04-04-2014, 07:40 PM
Work???

Work is for those that don't know better, I used to didn't know better but now I know better.

Life is good when you know better. :mrgreen:

Rick

randyrat
04-04-2014, 07:42 PM
15" of snow last night...can't get out and work is shut down today.

He he he he We had less. I said I was not going to snow blow or shovel, but I couldn't get out of the drive way...so I had to. It's way too late in the spring for snow. Every time it melts a little we get another dang snow storm..

I'm off until Monday.........Hand surgery......Just got the OK to go back to work Monday!:grin:.. I should have milked it a little more with the wife- I'm tired of these little projects my wife has me doing, I'm sick of it. She figured out my hand is doing good so the list kept getting bigger and bigger. I need a break so i have to go back to work.

pipehand
04-04-2014, 07:52 PM
I've been working 6 tens out of town for the last few months. That's why I haven't been posting much. Back when I was semi-employed I got to cast, load, shoot, and post about it. On the other hand, someone has to pay in to FICA for all you retired fellows.

btroj
04-04-2014, 07:58 PM
Work???

Work is for those that don't know better, I used to didn't know better but now I know better.

Life is good when you know better. :mrgreen:

Rick

Sure sounds a heap like your view on wives

cbrick
04-04-2014, 08:06 PM
Wives???

Wives is for those that don't know better, I used to didn't know better but now I know better.

Life is good when you know better.

Rick

375supermag
04-04-2014, 08:31 PM
Hi...
I generally work six days a week, but I took a vacation day today to attend an Armor Modelling and Preservation Society convention in Fredericksburg, Va.

Armored fighting vehicles and military history is another hobby I enjoy. Not quite as expensive as guns, reloading and shooting, but hardly cheap.

I work to fund my hobbies and areas of interest. I need to retire so I can start working on my hobbies, I never have time because of work.

btroj
04-04-2014, 08:32 PM
Rick, bad news. I have a job AND a wife.

I'm screwed, right?

cbrick
04-04-2014, 09:08 PM
Rick, bad news. I have a job AND a wife. I'm screwed, right?

contender1
04-04-2014, 09:30 PM
I guess I'm one of those folks who owns his own business,,, yet, I have to be in the field every day. I'm in my office from 7:30 am (or so,) until 9:30-10:00 am. Then I hit the road. I don't usually get home before 6-7 pm. That's why my posts are early & late.

plmitch
04-04-2014, 09:41 PM
Don't like the word chemo.hope and pray that you get into remission soon.

Thank you Sir.

DIRT Farmer
04-04-2014, 09:54 PM
I had three scheduled 24 hour shifts, ended up stuck on overtime a lot. Now I work 7 days a week, and not nearly the hours. Most days I don't get more than 0.6 miles from the houseor my coffee pot. Next year I get the SS check, I think I will keep working and use it to travel and compete.

762 shooter
04-04-2014, 09:57 PM
Not me.
08:30-11:30 went shooting with my son.
11:30-12:30 researched at the courthouse.
12:30-13:00 bought chick food and 12 pullet chicks.
13:00-14:30 drove home and got chicks settled in.
14:30-16:00 tilled the garden.
16:00-16:30 entertained grand kids.
16:30-17:00 cleaned my new Bator mould.
17:00-17:30 put on pasta for meatball supper.
17:30-18:00 Ate supper and relaxed.
18:00-20:00 Cast 500 Bators.
20:00-21:30 wound down.
21:30-22:30 walked dog.
22:30 hit the sack.

Another great day.

MtGun44
04-04-2014, 10:41 PM
Retired. :bigsmyl2:

Bill

smokeywolf
04-04-2014, 10:48 PM
Retired. Sort of. Not by choice. Wife? Found. Work? Looking.

Put in a late night last night. Made 12 lbs. of potato salad. Today, stood in front of the lathe making little (littler) ones out of big ones. 45-60s out of 45-70s. Processed some other brass. Put a new electrical cord on my customized Wilson shell trimmer. Took my teenage son to his track meet. Did the grocery shopping.

smokeywolf

Mumblypeg
04-04-2014, 11:29 PM
Retired from LE after 34years.... I don't know when I had time to work as I stay very busy now... so many things to do. But at least I don't have to fool with crazy people now... at least not much... hope to draw SS next year then maybe I can afford to buy something like a new car but all I have is paid for, for now anyway.

375RUGER
04-04-2014, 11:39 PM
I'm only going to the office 2 days a week. No business and no income for a while now. So I stay at home and am working on a few different ideas to get some income.

Sweetpea
04-04-2014, 11:40 PM
With my back, I can only be on my feet for limited periods. So, I'm in and out of the shop all the time. So far today, I finished inletting a barrel into a plank stock blank. Reshaped the tang, and removed a bunch of wood from the plank. I have to make a run to town in a bit, or would be back in the shop. I generally work 7 days a week.

Ric, is that the plank I sent you? I want to see how that turned out...

As for me, I can still find a few minutes at a time to check in throughout the day, even working 60-70 per week...

Wish I got overtime[smilie=b:

waksupi
04-05-2014, 12:21 AM
Ric, is that the plank I sent you? I want to see how that turned out...

[smilie=b:

Yep, that is what I started in on. Nice wood to work with so far, I'll be interested to see what kind of rifle is inside of it! Just started in yesterday. I swamped and draw filed a barrel, fit the breech plug, filed it to shape. Finished inletting the barrel today, and started removing some wood. Ten hours into the project so far. So, if I was building this for someone else, I would already be into it for over $400 just on the most basic labor going from a plank!

retread
04-05-2014, 01:04 AM
Retired.
Work schedule:
1. Cast
2. Size & Lube
3. Load
4. Shoot
5. Repeat Steps 1 - 4

MaryB
04-05-2014, 01:20 AM
Retired 1996 with bad shoulders and a bad back, today I did medical paperwork relating to last years car accident, cut some parts on the laser, worked on engraving files for tomorrows laser run, and now on here killing time until bed.

zidave
04-05-2014, 01:25 AM
I work 40 hours a week with no set schedule. Retail is a finicky profession

DCM
04-05-2014, 09:18 AM
I have an unusual work schedule 6-13hrs/day depending on demands.
I try to keep "normal" hours but sometimes it just doesn't work that way.
I sure look forward to retirement! OK semiretirement at least, I just gotta be doing something.

knobster
04-05-2014, 09:22 AM
Work? Heck no! With Obama phones, welfare, SNAP cards, utility subsidies, section 8 housing, etc ad naseum one would be a sucker to work!

MrWolf
04-05-2014, 09:58 AM
Work? Heck no! With Obama phones, welfare, SNAP cards, utility subsidies, section 8 housing, etc ad naseum one would be a sucker to work!

I am the one that has to run those programs in my county. Besides, it is a government system and I can't access this site - it is blocked and unless I am leaning against a window to get a bar or two on my phone, I can't even use that :groner:

schutzen
04-05-2014, 10:11 AM
I'm on my 3rd "career". Spent the 1st 5 years as a soldier. The next 35 years was with the power company. My current "job" is the best I have had. It offers 365 days vacation per year. However there is a caveat, if you do not use a day you loose it. I work hard to not loose any days.

God has truly blessed my wife and myself. The power company allowed me to "purchase" my military time to add on to my time with them. My wife and I retired two years apart. We now spend our time enjoying our 4 children, 6 grandchildren, farming, gardening, and volunteering for various organizations. On the side I hunt, fish, reload, cast (bullets, sinkers, duck weights), and woodwork. My wife cooks, shops, and does crafts. I know some would feel sorry for her, but her idea of shopping is the Honolulu Flea Market, the Mall of America, or as in this weekend Ikea at Kansas City with our daughter-in-law in Kansas.

My first job every day is to get up and thank God for such a blessed and fulfilling life.

PS For those of you that consider Social Security or a Pension Plan "being on the dole"; consider this, you worked for every penny of the money you receive. Social Security is money you and your employer paid into the government. The government promised to invest that money in the Social Security Trust Fund and pay you a pension after you retired. It also included a small portion for "disability insurance" incase you were disabled before reaching full retirement age. What it did not include was checks for out-of-wedlock babies, disability for drug addiction, and disability for mental incapacity (stupid checks). This was the idea of the Johnson Administration in 1965, "The Great Society". This was nothing more than moving welfare from the General Fund to the Social Security Trust Fund. If you worked, Social Security is not an entitlement, it is a government forced investment plan that the government now wants to renege on.

As a side note, normal employee/employer funded pension plans are deferred compensation paid for hours worked in the past. When companies complain of workers drawing "overly generous pensions" what they are rally saying is; " Our previous executives agreed to pensions in lieu of wages, but they did not fund the pension plan. Those executives, and we to, used those funds to pay ourselves huge salaries rather than invest the money to fund the pension plan."

Now that my rant is over, I chose not to waste my vacation day today. I'm going to rig up a mist system in the greenhouse, finish installing the base boards in the computer room (after a remodel), and then go have supper with my grandsons.

snuffy
04-05-2014, 11:34 AM
Work is a four letter word, IOW a cuss word! Now work is something I dream about most every night, makes waking up fun because it was "just a dream". Or maybe it could be called a nightmare?

Best fun is waking up, before the mind becomes focused, trying to figure out which day it is. Then, before you do figure it out saying; who cares, I don't have to go to work anyway! I plan any doctor appointments for afternoon, so I can get fully awake, a couple cups o' joe under the belt and my pain meds have taken hold.

NOW a reality check! Those of you young enough to get some money set aside for retirement. DO IT! Do NOT do what I did, figure social security will be enough. Without 2 pensions from my main 2 companies I worked for, I would be nearly homeless.

I was injured pretty bad in a car accident while on duty in the USAF. Left me with a crooked spine. If not for my chiropractor, I would have a flock of scars on my back/neck. I went after and got a 30% disability from the VA. That makes me financially solvent IF I'm real careful.

DanWalker
04-05-2014, 11:54 AM
YUP! I work 30 days on 15 off (at least that's what the plan is supposed to be) I'm on from 6AM to 6PM every day. Babysitting computers and shooting subsurface surveys every 30-90 feet we drill. I have to email the surveys to the engineers and geologists as soon as I get them so they can make steering decisions on the well. I have to sit in front of these computers all day watching them to make sure we don't miss any footage. Got the lead furnace behind me on the counter, and take periodic breaks from starting fights on the internet to cast some boolits. Gotta love getting paid to cast at work. The really neat part is all the people that come in and see my furnace and want to try it. I get LOTS of boolits made that way.

Freightman
04-05-2014, 12:00 PM
Retired for the forth time, and if the wife don't quit finding things for me to do I am going back to work. :x

montana_charlie
04-05-2014, 12:31 PM
I've been retired from 'work' since 2002. But, I still have 'chores'.

CM

jaydub in wi
04-05-2014, 01:16 PM
My work schedule varies. This week I worked from 3pm to 11pm

Dave C.
04-05-2014, 01:30 PM
4 days on and 4 days off, 12 hours a day. Life is good!

DRNurse1
04-05-2014, 07:14 PM
Y'all are scaring me. I retired twice only to head back into the workforce so SWMABO can shop. Received my first official retirement pay out check last week!

So you 'retired' folks work or on call 24/7/366 and you have to hope I put some jangle in the pot so you can keep on doin' that? It sounds more like work than what I am up to, but what I am up to does interfere with the cycle --cast-reload-shoot-repeat-- more often than not.

I-owe, I-owe, it's off to work I go....

MBTcustom
04-05-2014, 07:31 PM
Well lets see, I work a day job as a toolroom machinist for a high tech aerospace company. There is a lot of waiting followed by excited engineers that expect you to do the impossible and don't doubt you for a second. Had a 1/2" aluminum plate 12" in diameter that they wanted flat within .002 TIR yesterday. No problemo.
I post while I'm waiting for those juicy nuggets of fun to come my way. Pretty easy gig, pays well, and provides insurance for my wife.
However, as soon as I get home, that's when the real fun starts. Today, I rebarreled a Garrand, slugged the barrel on a Sako in 6.5X284 and found out that it was a blunderbuss and recorded the slug diameters for the client, returned a .22 I repaired to a client, slugged the barrel on another Mauser, took the barrel off run5run's rifle and called him to discuss the project, did the books, met with a client in the shop.........
And now my feet are killing me (varicose veins) so I'm sitting down here to laugh at this crazy question.
Ha
Ha
Ha

btroj
04-05-2014, 07:41 PM
Laughing or giggling?

I do my 45 hours a week or so and pray I don't get bugged with questions from work when I am at home.

Work is what I am, it is not who I am. I prefer to keep it that way.

WILCO
04-05-2014, 08:02 PM
I'm at work. Sitting here. Waiting for the end of the drill rod, so I can grease the threads, and then retreat back to my perch to read the internet on my iphone.

That's a good way to earn a "Rep" in the shop you may not want.
You can believe nobody cares, but it's just the opposite. If and when somebody starts gunning for you, that'll be the first thing they bring up. When on the clock, the "phone" should be out of sight and your nose on the grindstone.

cbrick
04-05-2014, 08:06 PM
Brad, you have a part time job. I get a chuckle when Tim talks about working so much. :coffeecom I can tell ya about working too much.

Before I retired I worked full time, literally full time. 80-90 hour 5 day weeks were common. 6 day weeks, just add 16-18 hours to that. With luck I would get off work in time Saturday morning to head straight to the range to set up and run a two day match, get a few hours sleep Sunday night and start all over about 3 AM Monday. I counted how many hours of sleep I got last week the way most people count how many hours they got last night. I did that for 34 years, lived on sleep deprivation and coffee. Did that until I was too sick to do it anymore & retired early at 62.

Yep, 45 hours a week is a part time job, I normally had that in by Wednesday lunch time.

Rick

waksupi
04-05-2014, 08:33 PM
If I had an employee on a phone on MY time, they would no longer be my employee. Their butt would be skipping down the pavement raising sparks. There is always something to do. Wipe down a machine, do maintenance, push a broom.

btroj
04-05-2014, 08:33 PM
Hey, it pays the bills......

My work is physically pretty easy, mentally fatiguing. Dealing with the public is always "fun". Managing 15 women is the real hard part. My neck has no feathers, they have all been pecked off by the hens......

MrWolf
04-05-2014, 08:51 PM
Out of my 250+ employees, about 60-70% are women. I ain't saying notin :violin:

cbrick
04-05-2014, 08:59 PM
If I had an employee on a phone on MY time, they would no longer be my employee. Their butt would be skipping down the pavement raising sparks. There is always something to do. Wipe down a machine, do maintenance, push a broom.

Yep, same with me. Anyone on my crew who's top priority was a cell phone didn't last long. None of them ever realized why they were the first to be laid off and if ya told them they didn't believe it.

Rick

chambers
04-05-2014, 09:09 PM
Most people with a strong work ethic seem to always stay busy, it is amazing how few people actually do the majority of work and have to cover the less ambitious.

Bullshop
04-05-2014, 10:16 PM
I don't work no more

but

I don't work no less.

TXGunNut
04-05-2014, 11:28 PM
I was at work yesterday, just not doing much actual work. :-( I'll take a break now and then but avoid talking about guns and almost never log in here on a work computer. I have a job I still enjoy after 36 yrs but I've got a few more years to go. I prefer to stay focused; hanging out here, casting, loading or shooting is how I enjoy my time off. Working is how I keep a roof over my head and food on the table....and it pays for the fun stuff too!

DanWalker
04-06-2014, 10:08 AM
My job requires me to sit right here in front of these computers for 12 hours a day. I am also required to be available at any time of the day or night to troubleshoot problems with the equipment. I live and work right on the rig location and only get away from the rig when they are casing a completed hole. With operating costs at $67 a MINUTE, they aren't real keen on the idea of waiting while someone tries find me to fix my stuff when there's a problem. As the senior field engineer in the rocky mountain region for my company, I'm also the guy who gets called in the middle of the night by panicked junior engineers on other rigs who need help figuring out how to make their stuff work. I sleep with my cellphone in my hand. (not a euphemism, I REALLY do) I've been doing it for 8 years now, and still love what I do. I've got 2 more years of this, then I am going to work on contract and only work during the winters.

Col4570
04-06-2014, 11:18 AM
During the great depression my late father was trying for work and obtained assisted passage to Canada.When he got there the situation was as bad as here in the UK as it was in the USA.He actualy rode the rails by jumping into railway box wagons from town to town only to find the legend on each factory No Work Available especially to foreigners.Hard times for those who later went to War.
Say don,t you remember they called me hal,it was Hal all the time,say don,t you remember I,m your pal,buddy can you spare a dime.

Teddy (punchie)
04-06-2014, 12:06 PM
Work and farm , you will not see me too much after Mayish until August or so. Then I'll be working 7 days a week way too many hours. Average slow week about 50-60 hours a busy week 80-90.

Boyscout
04-06-2014, 05:26 PM
My day starts at 03:30 and ends at 15:00. I post after work or at zero-dark hundred before heading to work. I won't get on this site at work as we are monitored.

bearcove
04-07-2014, 10:53 AM
I work construction. It's overtime or my time.

Lately it's more my time.

crazy mark
04-07-2014, 11:15 AM
My last day of work after 36.5 years. I do have plenty to keep me busy though.

zardoz
04-07-2014, 10:47 PM
Yep, I. R. an Engineering Manager. Trouble is, all my engineers got laid off during the big down turn in 2008-2009 in automotive parts manufacturing. Aluminum die casting in volume. Now that business is on the upswing again, they decided to not hire back any engineers to help me out, so I am still doing it all myself. In addition, they laid off a few accounting folks, so I am doing that as well in addition to engineering work. Guess I have pretty good job security even during rough times in the economy, as the brass have always decided I was worth keeping, as they work me into an early grave.

MaryB
04-08-2014, 02:11 AM
Used to pull some 90+ hour weeks at the casino. Worst was 5 days no sleep during a massive construction project that was way behind deadline. We had 600 slot machines to install in 2 weeks with a crew of 5. As the casino grew so did the crew so 70 hours was about the worst right before I hurt both shoulders and my spine. That was redoing the slot machine communications room to make it easier for changes to be implemented. I could not have anything offline longer than a week without the state gaming board getting cranky and wanting an answer why the accounting system was only partially up. For the computer tech nerds the slot machine spoke RS232 to a converter board that output RS422. 10-16 slot machines were daisy chained and spoke to a data collection unit that translated comms BACK to RS232 then that went to the server that had a fiber connection to the accounting computer. Yes it was a nightmare...

Bloodman14
04-08-2014, 02:18 AM
School part-time, work part-time, at home taking care of wife and grandparents and the house the rest of the time. No rest for the weary, you know.

Groovy
04-08-2014, 04:00 AM
Full time retired since 29 March 2014. I'm just hear to learn since no one I know locally reloads cast bullets. I never knew how much I didn't know about reloading until I started reading here.

snuffy
04-08-2014, 10:11 AM
Full time retired since 29 March 2014. I'm just hear to learn since no one I know locally reloads cast bullets. I never knew how much I didn't know about reloading until I started reading here.

Congrats on your retirement. 3-5-11 was my retirement date, just getting into a routine myself.

You landed in the most informative forum there is on the net. Now that you have the time, sit back and read and learn. Questions are happily answered.

Springfield
04-08-2014, 12:20 PM
My main job is as a Stay at home Dad. I get up at 6 to make breakfast for my wife and I. A bit later while the kids are eating their breakfast I will get on here in the morning for a few minutes and try and beat Brass Magnet out of some deals. Check my e-mails and answer customers questions about whether can I do a certain leather item or not. After taking them to school I sit here and do my leather work, holsters, belts, whatever. Around 3:00 after I pick up the kids from school I help them with their homework, do the dishes, maybe some other cleaning. Then off to either Karate lessons, or Piano, or singing lessons, depending on the day. After the wife gets home from her job at 6:00 I go out to the shop and either cast, size, or pack a few thousand bullets for customers. Maybe sneak in a personal job on one of my guns, or load for an upcoming Cowboy shoot that we all 4 do. Bout 9:30 or so I will come in and eat dinner, talk to my wife about the day. Check back in here to see what has happened during the day. I used to have a "real" job but now I am my own boss, so if something goes wrong I know exactly who to go to to complain! Right now I have a complaint with my bookkeeper(me) about why I have to pay so many taxes. Was easier when someone else did them for me. And we are almost out of boxes, have to get on the USPS site and order some more. And need to order some holster leather soon, getting low, and they have 3-4 week backlog so can't wait until I am out. Get to bed about 11 pm. Typical day. I am 58 this week, and my kids are 10 and 12, and I hope I can do this until I (hopefully) collect some Social Security, but doubt I will ever be able to not work at something. My 401k from my former jobs just isn't that big, and I still need to get my kids through college.

MrWolf
04-08-2014, 07:01 PM
:goodpost: Due to an injury I was forced to stay home for a bit until I could rehab back. It was the greatest time of my life as "I got to grow up with my kids". Wouldn't have traded it for anything including the pain I am still in and my kids are now 22 & 20. Enjoy them while you can.

MaryB
04-08-2014, 11:39 PM
Springfield, could I ask who you buy leather from? Just getting into learning leather work and I know I can buy from Tandy but their prices tend to be a tad high...

My main job is as a Stay at home Dad. I get up at 6 to make breakfast for my wife and I. A bit later while the kids are eating their breakfast I will get on here in the morning for a few minutes and try and beat Brass Magnet out of some deals. Check my e-mails and answer customers questions about whether can I do a certain leather item or not. After taking them to school I sit here and do my leather work, holsters, belts, whatever. Around 3:00 after I pick up the kids from school I help them with their homework, do the dishes, maybe some other cleaning. Then off to either Karate lessons, or Piano, or singing lessons, depending on the day. After the wife gets home from her job at 6:00 I go out to the shop and either cast, size, or pack a few thousand bullets for customers. Maybe sneak in a personal job on one of my guns, or load for an upcoming Cowboy shoot that we all 4 do. Bout 9:30 or so I will come in and eat dinner, talk to my wife about the day. Check back in here to see what has happened during the day. I used to have a "real" job but now I am my own boss, so if something goes wrong I know exactly who to go to to complain! Right now I have a complaint with my bookkeeper(me) about why I have to pay so many taxes. Was easier when someone else did them for me. And we are almost out of boxes, have to get on the USPS site and order some more. And need to order some holster leather soon, getting low, and they have 3-4 week backlog so can't wait until I am out. Get to bed about 11 pm. Typical day. I am 58 this week, and my kids are 10 and 12, and I hope I can do this until I (hopefully) collect some Social Security, but doubt I will ever be able to not work at something. My 401k from my former jobs just isn't that big, and I still need to get my kids through college.