PDA

View Full Version : Off to the range question

Someflyers
04-04-2014, 01:03 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/05/equvepy7.jpg

Ok I hope you guys can see what I'm going to ask.... First some information. The 9mm on the left are RCBS 115gr RN seat and taper crimp in separate operations. The right is RCBS .45 201gr SWC taper crimp and seat in the same stroke.

The question is this. I see a bit of lead around the top of the case mouth on the .45s which looks like it was pushed up while crimping and seating, while the 9mm rounds look like clean crimps. Should I be seating and crimping in two operations??

Am I going to have FTF issues after a few of the 45s if I don't correct my behavior?? Best guesses would be appreciated...

Be gentle! This is my first three mags of cast reloads!

Love Life
04-04-2014, 01:05 PM
Meh. I've done both and as long as the it was crimped to saami specs all was right with the world. A lot of "Issues" brough up are really non issues. I personally prefer to seat and crimp in two steps.

Pb2au
04-04-2014, 01:27 PM
My two centavos say you are probably going to be ok. It is kind of hard to make out the detail perfectly in the pic. So long you are crimped enough you should be good to go.
When you are setting up your OAL and crimp, if possible, remove the barrel from your shooter and try and plunk the loaded cartridge into the chamber. It should seat in with a plunk. If your OAL or crimp is too less, you will see it quickly as the case will simply not drop in all the way.
If there is lead around the mouth of the case, double check to make sure you have just enough bell on the end of the case to allow the boolit to start into the case. If not, it can and will shave lead from your bullet. Just a quick FYI.
Good luck

Scharfschuetze
04-04-2014, 01:43 PM
+1 on belling the case mouth a little more. I generally taper crimp auto pistol rounds separately, but not always.

By the way, I use both those boolit molds that you're using with great results.

Someflyers
04-04-2014, 01:46 PM
Pb....yeah they plunk really well but didn't know if the deformation of the boolit would make a big difference....

This whole Pb projectile thing still holds a lot of mystery to me!! Just don't want to do anything stupid!

The bell is good as the boolit slips down into the neck nicely, so I was thinking the crimp is starting just slightly before the boolit is fully seated....

Walter Laich
04-04-2014, 03:01 PM
That's actually what happens. As the shell and bullet come up there will be a point where the bullet is still being seated and the crimp is being applied. The two-step process removes this 'problem.'
Having said that I have done it both ways and don't have a problem either way. Can't really tell which round was loaded which way.
Some folks over crimp but from the picture it looks that isn't happening.
I would say take them and the handguns to the range and have fun.
p.s. let us know how it goes. We tend to live vicariously though others

runfiverun
04-04-2014, 04:10 PM
I like the two step system too..
I seat a little deeper for my 45's, and have done the one step seat/crimp before with no problems.

bedbugbilly
04-04-2014, 06:26 PM
The next time you're loading - try seating and crimping in two different operations - I bet you'll see a difference. I have a feeling those will feed and fire just fine though . . .

To me, seating and crimping in the same operations is like standing on your pant legs and trying to pull them up at the same time. A lot of folks do it without problems but I use Lee dies and for the expense of the extra die (3 die set vs 4 die set - I use a 4 hole turret) I think it's worth the time and money IMHO.

Nice looking cartridges! Let us know how they go bang!

gray wolf
04-04-2014, 06:52 PM
so I was thinking the crimp is starting just slightly before the boolit is fully seated....
That's what happens
If you get a separate crimp die - IMHO just get a plain crimp die, not the factory crimp die.

runfiverun
04-04-2014, 08:22 PM
I got just a plain ol taper crimp die from rcbs. [it gets used with the light 45 colt stuff too.
I got one for my 38's while I was ordering it, it sees double duty in the 9m set-up.

MtGun44
04-04-2014, 11:56 PM
Good observation. TC for semi-autos should always be a separate operation
for most reliable and accurate ammo. The lead ring is unavoidable with no
crimp groove, so you will always have lead slivers floating around and the
possibility of a FTC. Just not worth it for me.

Listen to gray wolf, too.

Can it work? Yes. Is it the proper way to do it? No.

Bill

Cmm_3940
04-05-2014, 01:32 AM
I've run into problems when doing it in one step. That little ring of lead jams things up pretty solid after 4-5 rds. in my 1911s.

tomme boy
04-05-2014, 01:53 AM
Back off your crimp a little and it should go away. You only want to remove the bell that is it. Case tension is what holds the bullet, not the crimp. 0.471"-0.472" is what you want.

Someflyers
04-05-2014, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the information guys...

The crimp measures a consistent 0.471-.04715 so I think all is well. I'll just switch to two operation seating/crimping for the future.

Range reports to follow early next week.