PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Accurate # 2

Crash_Corrigan
12-31-2007, 01:25 AM
I am having a problem with using Accurate #2 for reloads in my Belgain Browning Hi Power.

It just slows down and will not go into battery after about 40 so rounds.

I ran 100 rounds of Winchesters White Box 115 gr FMJ (wally world) first with no prblems. Then I ran 4 13 round mags of my reloads of cast 115 grn Lead TC or RN rounds thru it. By the end of the 4th mag the slide would not go into battery without a slam by hand at the back end. :(

The exposed portion of the barrel viewed thru the ejection port was black and sticky. The chamber was sooty and encrusted with black crapola. :???:

This is dirty powder in my Browning. Anybody have a suggestion regarding a cleaner burning powder for my reloads? :confused:

I am going to have to burn up these babies in my Ruger BH with the 9MM cylinder. :Fire:

Lloyd Smale
12-31-2007, 06:21 AM
Ive allways considered aa2 to be a farily clean burning powder. could it be that your using a load that so mild that its not burning well?

Scrounger
12-31-2007, 10:35 AM
Like Lloyd said, it could be too light a load but I'm more inclined to think it is a problem with the lube, maybe too much of it.

MtGun44
12-31-2007, 06:43 PM
What boolit andmore likely, what lube?

Sounds like lube to me, too.

Bill

Crash_Corrigan
12-31-2007, 11:46 PM
Lars45's Carnuba Red over 4.4 Gr of Accurate #2 with a 115 Gr RNL Lyman Mold with two lube grooves. The weapon is absolutely filthy. I fired 100 rds of Wally Worldl's El Cheapo Winchester White Box 115 gr fmj's and the Browning was faultless. When done you could tell it had been fired but it was not dirty by any means.

Then I ran 4 mags of my reloads as above and the slide would not go into full battery because of all the gunk. The chamber was loaded with black crapola as well as the exposed portion of the barrel seen thru the ejection port.

Interior wise there was black crap everywhere and the slide can barely move into full battery empty. With a cartridge.....no way.

If I can get the camera to work I will post photos!

Lloyd Smale
01-01-2008, 07:58 AM
try it again with only filling the bottom lube grove.

Three44s
01-01-2008, 11:29 AM
You did not post the details of your load ......... but just guessing .......... and I stress guessing ...... I would say with soot even on the outside ....... recheck your powder charge.

Start at the "start" ...... not below ...... and work up ...... don't go above max and stop even short of max if pressure signs are evident.

Even shooting the existing rounds load thusly in your BH ....... you should be VERY watchful for squibs.

Three 44s

Lloyd Smale
01-01-2008, 11:34 AM
if that charge is correct its plenty hot enough to burn the powder.

R.M.
01-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Try the same loading (bullet, lube etc.), except change the powder to Bullseye, of an equivalent charge and see if you get the same thing. Could be the lube blowing back because of a light load not blowing the brass out enough to seal.

R.M.

Lloyd Smale
01-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Ill go back to blameing your bullet lube. 9mms dont need much for lube and a guy could probably get away with one of the hard lubes with the 9s. It might cure your problem. If it truely is your powder, which i doubt as ive been using it in 45s and 9s for years without problems another thing you could try is to switch to a mag primmer. Id even try a few with a mag to make sure that its powder fouling and not lube fouling that is your problem.

Crash_Corrigan
01-07-2008, 03:25 AM
I just cleaned the Browning. Very heavy carbon deposits in the chamber and adjacent areas. I had sized these rounds down to .355 in my Saeco Lubrisizer. Maybe I size 'em down to .357 instead and see if that is the problem.

Two one thousands of an inch extra space allowing gas and crap to blow back around the casing and past the cartridge base causing massing crap build up real fast. However there was not any carbon or streaking on the empties?

I will make some new rounds with lube only in one grooove and with a bigger boolit and cartridge case and different powder. Hopefully this will solve this problem.

Lloyd Smale
01-07-2008, 06:34 AM
id about bet it will at least help. Let us know. Like I said aa2 (pr200) is about all i use in my 1911s anymore and its been a great powder for me. Ive only got 5 kegs left and wish i would have gotten more when it was around.

Scrounger
01-07-2008, 10:18 AM
I wonder if it's not real AA2, that someone goofed and it's really a slower powder like AA5 or AA7. Sure sounds like pressure is too low. Have you chronographed the load?