PDA

View Full Version : figuring powder load for cast boolits?

trucker76
04-04-2014, 01:12 AM
So tomorrow I'm planning on doing my first casting. Hopefully this weekend I can get some ammo loaded and go shooting. Before this always loaded jacketed bullets and had the load data right in the book for exactly what I was shooting. I will be casting up some 230 grain tc for the .45 acp and 140 grain swc for the .38. I have a pound of bullseye and a pound of true blue and I'm having trouble finding load data for either of those that match my cast boolits.

I did find this on the ramshot site for true blue in .38

(the L is for lead and the LC is the company, Laser Cast)

140 (L) LC FP 4.9 949 5.4 1,028 16,424 1.435

and .45

230 (L) LC SWC 6.7 822 7.4 913 19,450 1.267

So even if the bullet style is different if the weight is the same can the data be used?

The closest thing I can find for the .45 with bullseye is in the hornady manual listing 4.4 to 5.5 for a 230 grain lead round nose.

And for the .38 in bullseye again it's hornady with 3.0 to 4.6 for a 140gr "cowboy"

I'd like to use the bullseye for the .45 and the true blue for the .38. Do the above loads sound right to work up with?

sasquatch76
04-04-2014, 02:41 AM
Do yourself a favor and pick up the Lyman Reloading Handbook, lots of cast boolit data in there. The listing you found for the 45's is a little more than what Lyman lists, they have the max load as 5.3grs of Bullseye for the TC boolit. I've used 4.7grs of Bullseye for 230gr TC before with good results. That 38 load is definitely for a "cowboy" load. The cast load data I have for that 140gr boolit is 5.3grs min to 5.9grs max of True Blue. As for cast load data, it does vary between boolit types, even if they're the same weight.

Shiloh
04-04-2014, 07:03 AM
In the LEE reloading book, there is a formula for reduced load, which cast oftern are. IIRC this is more for rifle. I am at work so I can't type it in for you.

SHiloh

trucker76
04-04-2014, 07:14 AM
Do yourself a favor and pick up the Lyman Reloading Handbook, lots of cast boolit data in there. The listing you found for the 45's is a little more than what Lyman lists, they have the max load as 5.3grs of Bullseye for the TC boolit. I've used 4.7grs of Bullseye for 230gr TC before with good results. That 38 load is definitely for a "cowboy" load. The cast load data I have for that 140gr boolit is 5.3grs min to 5.9grs max of True Blue. As for cast load data, it does vary between boolit types, even if they're the same weight.

I have a lyman book, 49th edition. It has no listing for a 230gr lead tc. In fact it has no load data for a 230gr lead anything.

milrifle
04-04-2014, 07:36 AM
I think what he meant was the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. Current edition is #4.

6bg6ga
04-04-2014, 07:59 AM
I have a lyman book, 49th edition. It has no listing for a 230gr lead tc. In fact it has no load data for a 230gr lead anything.

Lymans 49th lists a 452374 which is a 225gr rn bullet. The data listed there is close enough. I use it without a problem. The 46th edition lists a lot of the same loads.

tazman
04-04-2014, 08:28 AM
I don't have a 45 so can't be any help there. I do have a 38/357. You can safely use any data you have for a 150 or 158 grain boolit with the 140. That will give you a good place to start.
As with any listed load, you need to start with a reduced load and work your way up to the max in small steps. Your pistol may not tolerate the listed max.
All guns are NOT created equal.

44MAG#1
04-04-2014, 08:55 AM
A good place to start is to find someone in your area to help you.
While a forum like this is a "help" it can be confusing to a beginner due to the varying ideas and beliefs.
There undoubtably is someone in your gun club, job, sporting goods/gun shop that can take you under their wing and get you started in the right direction.
Maybe someone even using the very same bullets or extremely close to them.
Nothing wrong with asking for help on a forum but it can be confusing like I said due to the many ideas given. Some good some bad.
Do you know enough to determine which is which? If not better learn.

reloader28
04-04-2014, 09:42 AM
Just use the jacketed bullet data if thats all you can find.
You can use that for cast boolits.
Cast boolits will make a little less pressure, but a little more speed.

If you use cast boolit data for jacketed bullets, you need to reduce the load a ways.

Larry Gibson
04-04-2014, 10:42 AM

Use the data for the 225 gr 452374 cast bullet as shown in the #49 Lyman manual. Seldom will you find data that exactly matches the components you have. That's why you should always "work up the load" just as mentioned in the #49 manual (Chapter 4, Selecting Powders, Caution). You will find both Bullseye and True Blue data for 45 ACP.

You will also find data for the 38 SPL using Bullseye which I highly recommend. True Blue is a bit too slow for best results using a WC in the 38 SPL which is probably why it is not listed.

At any rate start with the starting loads for each cartridge with each powder and work up as mentioned/instructed in Chapter 4. You paid good money for that manual as it is called a "manual" for a reason. The instruction is invaluable.

Please understand, this is not a lecture. I am trying to help you advance. Even as you advance you will constantly refer back to the manual as a reference. I still do after 50 years of reloading cast and jacketed bullets. I could give you loads that I use for each cartridge (2.7 - 3 gr Bullseye in the 38 SPL and 5 gr Bullseye in the 45 ACP under the bullets mentioned) with those bullets and they would, no doubt, work just fine. However, a slightly different powder charge may shoot better in your guns. You won't know unless you work up a proper load. If you want "generic" performance you can go with a "generic" suggestion. If you want the best and most accurate load for your handguns (one of the real benefits to reloading) you will work up the loads and test for accuracy as also mentioned in the Lyman #49 Manual.

Hold hard and shoot straight.

Larry Gibson

Love Life
04-04-2014, 11:05 AM
Use 230 gr RN or jacketed data fo the 45 acp. Start at the bottom and work up. The ramshot website has load data for 140 gr lead and jacketed bullets using true blue.

runfiverun
04-04-2014, 12:43 PM
when you cast your own boolits you will NEVER,EVER,EVER find exact data for what you have on hand.
you have to use the printed data and work up a load for YOUR gun and YOUR boolits in YOUR cases with YOUR components.
not a big deal.
just try to match up how much boolit is in the case with a known tested load [bullet] and work up from there.

trixter
04-04-2014, 02:59 PM
Here is how I do it. I bought the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, looked up 45ACP and found the boolit weight and nose shape for what I cast, and started in the middle , went to max, and then went to the minimum that would still cycle the gun. Then after reviewing all my records found the 'sweet spot' and that is what I have been shooting ever since. Lee Tumble Lube 200 gr Semi Wadcutter. They are very easy to cast, very easy to tumble lube with LLA and very easy to push them through Lee .451 sizer. 4.2 grains of Bullseye works great. I use a case gague to be sure they are going to fit, and have a blast makin' and shootin'. I love this hobby/sport or what ever it is. As far as exact formulas, and % of this, and all that, Just experiment a little and find what you like. Just use some already proven parameters, and most of all be safe.

MtGun44
04-04-2014, 11:24 PM
Read run5run's last post over again.

Almost never find exactly the data you need with cast - find similar, lower the charge and work up.

Be especially cognizant of accidentally decreasing the combustion chamber volume substantially
with any load - on a percentage basis. This means that seating .020" deeper with a .45 Colt is
much less of a deal than seating .020" deeper with a 9mm Parabellum. Figure out where the
base of the boolit/bullet is located in the published load and if you have your base farther from
the bottom of the case (bigger combustion chamber) you are lowering the pressure. If you
have the base of your boolit closer to the bottom of the case, you are raising the pressure.

Smaller combustion chamber = higher pressure
Larger combustion chamber = lower pressure

Lighter boolit = lower pressure
Heavier boolit = higher pressure

Work it out, use your head and be careful.

Biggest mistake is DOUBLE CHARGING a case. Be careful.

Reloading is not particularly dangerous, except for the lazy and sloppy loaders.

Bill