PDA

View Full Version : Photos of my Uberti Hi-Wall

Buckshot
12-31-2007, 12:25 AM
http://www.fototime.com/4A79DE95D6DA51F/standard.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/59D0EBB6C5E9E93/standard.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/CC40EDB1606957B/standard.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/A75FAC00C7D6686/standard.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/F7C714BB41C8C71/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/67FF2AF2BF3DBD4/standard.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/0E7319B56DC9E99/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/B4A158D3DB520F0/standard.jpg

This sure is a fine rifle. I have a LR tang sight for it, but the Marbles is MUCH handier and will handle probably 95% of the shooting I'll be doing with it. The Marbles also has the longer range elevation barrel, but I think if I needed to swap to that I'd just put on the LR tang.

..................Buckshot

jhrosier
12-31-2007, 12:35 AM
Dang! That's purty!
I have been thinking about one in 30-40.
What caliber is yours?

Jack

454PB
12-31-2007, 01:24 AM
Beautiful!

Razor
12-31-2007, 03:15 AM
WOW !!!
ERR.. Buckshot, you ever thought maybe of casting your own boolits for it ??:idea:
Just a thought..
If so, What caliber might they be ??

Razor

Kraschenbirn
12-31-2007, 01:25 PM
Buckshot...

If you're not going to use the mid-range staff for your Marble's Tang Sight, would you be interested in selling it? I've got the same sight on my Uberti Hi-Wall (38-55/30" octagon with the straight stock and single trigger) but it only came with the "standard" height staff which, at full elevation, puts my BP loads dead-on at 200M but leaves no adjustment for anything beyond.

Bill

PatMarlin
12-31-2007, 01:41 PM
Those baby's sure are nice. I wanted to get one whilst in Washington at Sportmans Warehouse, but they shoo'd me out cause I was from California.

littlejack
12-31-2007, 07:39 PM
Buckshot:
That is one fine looking rifle. Very nice.
I'm in the investigating stage as far as single shot rifles go. I'm not sure what type of action that I want to get.
Can you or somebody else tell me which one of the new manufactured single shots actions would be the strongest. Is one manufacurer better than another Uberti, Pedesoli, Armi Sport, etc? I have read that some actions are softer material that is case hardened and some actions are a higher grade of material. I do not intend on loading it to the max, but would like to know for my own information. I have heard of the Sharps action sometimes having an oversize firing pin hole. Is this true or did I get the information wrong?
It would seem that the falling blocks of the Sharps and the High Walls would be stronger than the Rolling Block action. A good example of this would be the Ruger #1's and 3's being the falling blocks. I have been told though that the Rolling Blocks will take all of the pressures that the falling blocks will take. I realize that all were designed originally for bp and all was equal back then. Would the rolling block take the pressure of the intermediate loading or the 1886 pressures? I do plan on using smokeless when I do get one. Please no critisism. A question came to mind yesterday. If smokeless powder had been invented say around 1850 "What would the buffalo hunters have used, BP or SMOKELESS? Lots of questions.
Jack

Catshooter
12-31-2007, 10:18 PM
Pat,

That was my fault, I told them you might be stopping by. Sorry, but you are from Cali, what can I say?

Cat

Buckshot
01-01-2008, 03:01 AM
..............It's in 38-55. This has been discussed here before at least about the 38-55's, and something I found out about mine.

1) They will accept the 2.125" cases
2) The barrel on mine slugs .373"x.3794" at the breech. However, using the 2.125" Starline brass it WILL accept a cartridge with a .382" slug.
3) It has shot the Lee 375-250 FNBB 'as cast' at .380+ very well. These have only been loaded over 10.0 Unique and 16.0 2400 to date.
4) The barrel on mine slugs .371"x.3794" at the muzzle, so the bore appears to be tapered. Another poster mentioned his was the same. I don't know if it's an anomaly or actually a planned part of the rifle's design.

............littlejack, I think any of the current repro's will handle and dish out all you can stand to receive. BTW, original Winchester 1885 actions were used by DuPont on their pressure barrels.

I own this Uberti, 2 Rolling Blocks by Pedersoli (45-70 and 40-65) and a Pedersoli Sharps in 45-70. The 45-70's, both the Rolling Block and the Sharps have been loaded to levels I've heard people have loaded the Marlin 1895's up to. I got over that foolishness pretty quick :-) You don't need it for hunting, and adding another 500 fps velocity isn't going to turn a 45-70 into a beanfield rifle.

................Buckshot

PatMarlin
01-01-2008, 03:02 AM
Pat,

That was my fault, I told them you might be stopping by. Sorry, but you are from Cali, what can I say?

Cat

I wondered what was up when I walked in the door. The fix was in.. :mrgreen:

I woulda stopped by to see you but it was to damn cold for visits there.. :roll::mrgreen::mrgreen:

littlejack
01-01-2008, 04:40 AM
Buckshot:
Thanks for the information. I agree with you. The recoil will be the deciding factor as it is now with my Buffalo Classic.
I will say it again, that is one fine lookin rifle you have there. You can be proud.
I appologize if I stole your thread. That was not my intention. My fingers got to flappin to hard and didn't know when to quit. Happy New Year to all.
Jack

Nrut
01-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Buckshot...

If you're not going to use the mid-range staff for your Marble's Tang Sight, would you be interested in selling it? I've got the same sight on my Uberti Hi-Wall (38-55/30" octagon with the straight stock and single trigger) but it only came with the "standard" height staff which, at full elevation, puts my BP loads dead-on at 200M but leaves no adjustment for anything beyond.

Bill
Bill.....I was looking at Brownells new #60 catalog today and I see that they carry Marble "posts" in different hts....(pg 355)...Very pricey however!

nitroproof
01-02-2008, 06:38 AM
Beautiful rifle! Those case colors are really neat!

Nueces
01-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Please pardon me for butting in, but (get it?) I see a possible misunderstanding creeping in. The first of the new Marbles sights, the ones that come on some Brownchesters, for example, are not adapted to accept the replacement staffs. Marbles makes another model sight for those. I just put one on a Pedersoli '74. The staffs are in two sections, bound together in use by a small set screw. Only the top parts are replaceable. The earlier staffs are one piece.

Mark

Gussy
01-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Darn, and I just told my wife I had all the guns I need!(yeah, right) May have to fudge that statement. Sure is a fine looking rifle. I have a very soft spot for highwalls!!!!

Topper
01-02-2008, 10:45 PM
That's a fine looking rifle.

Marlin Junky
01-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Buckshot,

Was the importer Cimarron?

MJ

ammohead
01-03-2008, 12:19 AM
estimado buckshot,

you dog! She's gorgeous. Of course, you will bring her to NCBS....you better! Looking forward to seeing you again ol pard.

ammohead

ammohead
01-03-2008, 12:52 AM
buckshot,

just saw your post about layoff. I can't tell you how much you will be missed at NCBS. Looks like it is up to me to beat Jeremy at long range this year. Couldn't do it last year, I choked on first round.

ammohead

Buckshot
01-03-2008, 02:03 AM
Buckshot,

Was the importer Cimarron?

MJ

..............Yes, Cimarron.

..........Buckshot

Buckshot
01-03-2008, 02:21 AM
buckshot,

just saw your post about layoff. I can't tell you how much you will be missed at NCBS. Looks like it is up to me to beat Jeremy at long range this year. Couldn't do it last year, I choked on first round.

ammohead

..............I am REALLY gonna miss being there this year too. Missed last year and was really looking forward to seeing everyone again this year. Yeah, Jeremy's done that twice now. Time for us owld guys to re-assert ourselves :-) My "Golden Wheel Weight" trophy for that from 2002 is getting a bit long in the tooth, ha! I was wanting to see if me and my K38 could do the bowling pin thing again this year. Buckshot and a steenking Peestol, who'da thunk it?

Heck, just the ride up and back with 9.3x62AL is almost worth it by itself. Two guys in their natural habitat, a pickup truck. Maybe I can remain unemployed until then? I'm getting a taste of retirement. I can't remember what day it is from one to the next. A guy could get used to this. I suppose I should maybe apply for un-employment?

..................Buckshot