PDA

View Full Version : Over Powder Wad Usage?

PbHurler
04-03-2014, 10:40 AM
I'm new to muzzleloaders. I have a T/C 50 Hawken.

Do I, or should I, use over powder wads if I use the following bullets from these molds:

Lyman #508656, 370gr Plains Bullet or the Lyman #504617 370gr Maxi.

If I should use wads, what type of material? Vegetable fiber, felt, cork?

Is this another "try it & see how it works for me" thing?

Thanks, from a "greenie"

AlaskanGuy
04-03-2014, 10:43 AM
My understanding is you only need wads with round balls... I have not shot round balls yet, but have shot several different types of boolits with no wads.... The seal is made with the base of the boolit....

AG

dondiego
04-03-2014, 11:04 AM
I would think that a wad would be needed if it improved accuracy when using a boolit. The round ball uses a patch. Really, it is a try it and see. Let your rifle tell you.

johnson1942
04-03-2014, 11:51 AM
all three materials you listed are good, i use 60 thousands fiber wads and others use felt and my neighbors son uses cork rubber gasket material wads. we all swear by all three. the wad should be slightly larger that bore size. the felt should be slightly lubed but not saturated wet.

tomme boy
04-03-2014, 01:57 PM
I use hard felt under conicals and round balls. It works

oldracer
04-03-2014, 03:10 PM
Well, your last sentence nails it, you should try most everything and see what the gun shoots best with. For my round balls I only use a patch, either 0.010 or 0.015 depending on the gun. With my two "slug" guns that shoot those 540gr 45 caliber bullets I have settled on a non lubed fiber wad. I found thickness made no difference but lube on the wad sure did! With a lubed wad, they would stick to the base of the bullet and even at 100 yards the bullet would tumble and make a huge hole in the target! I would suggest trying with a solid rest of some sort to take you out of the equation. I tried milk carton wads, milk carton w/news wad, lubed felt, non lubed felt, cardboard and none worked as well as fiber gasket material. I buy mine at Pep Boys, .030 thick sheets. For round balls I did try a wad but not luck so I use pillow ticking, prelubed.

johnson1942
04-03-2014, 04:21 PM
next time i go to civilization im going to the auto store and get some of that gasket material. thanks old racer.

PbHurler
04-04-2014, 07:07 AM
Thank you for your responses.

I'll hunt up some different wad materials & give 'em a go.

So now I guess I'll have to go shoot the rifle over & over to see what works, what a shame:bigsmyl2:

Theditchman
04-05-2014, 03:42 PM
I use these on mine ...I put them over powder on everything except patched balls..I buy 1000 at a time

http://emshootingsupplies.com/gray-smoke-wool-wads.html

Hanshi
04-05-2014, 05:45 PM
I usually use an op wad in my rifles with a prb.

koger
04-07-2014, 09:11 PM
I have used several kinds, Mikes Muzzloading wads, sets up at a booth in Ind. at the NMLRA Nationals, has veg/fiber wads, 1000ct was $30 or so, unlubed. I put mine in fish fryer basket, bring veg oil to a boil, dip in 1 minute, take out and drain, works great for pb or conicals. A lot of guys I used to shoot with, laughed at me, but I beat them on average 15 points a match. I medaled 31 times at NMLRA national an territorial events, and that aint easy, a few gold medals in there too. I have never shot a ML, pb or conical, that it hurt the accuracy of, just my 2 cents worth.

Theditchman
04-07-2014, 09:40 PM
An excellent idea.....Do you Batter them....lol

idahoron
04-07-2014, 09:46 PM
I like wool felt wads. For the 50's I cut them with a sharpened 1/2" black Iron pipe. I measure them and only buy the ones that are .62" inside. I like the wads to pucker a bit as I put them in the barrel. I want all that hot lead cutting gas separated from the bottom of my bullets. I add a pinch of bore butter or Hornady great plains lube to keep things lubed up. Ron

Rattus58
04-08-2014, 07:46 PM
I'm new to muzzleloaders. I have a T/C 50 Hawken.

Do I, or should I, use over powder wads if I use the following bullets from these molds:

Lyman #508656, 370gr Plains Bullet or the Lyman #504617 370gr Maxi.

If I should use wads, what type of material? Vegetable fiber, felt, cork?

Is this another "try it & see how it works for me" thing?

Thanks, from a "greenie"

In my opinion, you should use a wad with any bullet or ball. It aids in accuracy in that it promotes consistency... powder, wad, tamp, and load. It protects the base of the bullet and though it's the bullet that determines accuracy overall... besides you that is... I encourage their use!

Aloha... :cool:

Boogieman
04-08-2014, 10:22 PM
I use a felt or cork wad under a cloth patched RB for my hunting loads they are loaded dry to keep the patch grease from damaging the powder . I've never found them needed with target loads.

Rattus58
04-08-2014, 10:46 PM
I use a felt or cork wad under a cloth patched RB for my hunting loads they are loaded dry to keep the patch grease from damaging the powder . I've never found them needed with target loads.with the proper patch you're right... I use them on all shooting just the same... I started using them when I was cutting patches and sometimes getting them blown from being too tight, I assume... and before I got a chance to meet with Dutch Shoultze on the subject where he schooled me on a lot of things that improved my results... and from him the idea of consistency was ingrained into me... and the wad helps there as well.. powder... wad... tamp tamp tamp.... and then patched ball.... pushed to the wad.

OverMax
04-09-2014, 08:46 AM
Its a decision you have to make. Some do some don't. MO: For hunting and distance shooting Yes. For 25-50 yard targeting No.