PDA

View Full Version : To the guy joining the navy

silverado
04-02-2014, 11:42 PM
I found the original post and cannot refind it... Please do not count o n the navy to pay you a fair wage.. Pm me and I will talk as much as I can... did you look at the previous years retention? Or promotion?

Love Life
04-02-2014, 11:44 PM
Fair wage? The military pay charts are readily available to make an informed decision. After 10 years I make more than the majority of my buddies who went to college (if they even have jobs anymore) and my benefits are awesome.

silverado
04-02-2014, 11:50 PM
Fair wage? The military pay charts are readily available to make an informed decision. After 10 years I make more than the majority of my buddies who went to college (if they even have jobs anymore) and my benefits are awesome.

I was mostly considering officer vs enlisted, vs sub, vs surface. FYI I am a 1st class submarine electrician nuclear trained lpo currently on shore duty. My last sea duty I was LPO because 2 sea returnees could not handle the stress and either Attempted suicide or gave signs that they would do it...

Love Life
04-02-2014, 11:53 PM
A lot of suicide going around lately.

silverado
04-02-2014, 11:56 PM
A lot of suicide going around lately.

Yes and it is very unfortunate.... The first of my 2 lpo went "sad" and cut his wrists on watch.... my 2nd tapped out... went to the religious dude and said he couldn't do anymore.... th I s is while my green *** (rhymes with grass) was on my first sea duty. If at all possible I want to help the guy...

silverado
04-03-2014, 12:02 AM
Also besides that does he have a family? Are they rooted where they live? There a too many questions to ask in one post but you get the picture.... you can't base it on base pay.... etc...

Love Life
04-03-2014, 12:03 AM
Here is the link to the thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?236941-Enlisting-in-the-Navy-and-continuing-education

wnmGng
04-03-2014, 04:57 PM
Also besides that does he have a family? Are they rooted where they live? There a too many questions to ask in one post but you get the picture.... you can't base it on base pay.... etc...

I have family, my fiancee plans to move with me where ever she can and we have no children. my closest immediate family is 4 hours away from me.

looking at the charts it seems I'd be making more than I do now (barely enough to pay the bills) not taking into account that housing and everything else would be payed for.

I'd prefer a MOS where I could spend minimal time from home and avoid combat if at all possible, but it seems almost impossible without going in as an officer. and I've looked into promotions, and I could start at E-3 with my college credit, but I'm still searching for "the Truth" since it seems every recruiter I speak with is feeding me a line of BS trying to boost their own numbers.

As of right now I am filling out every scholarship application I can get my hands on, and trying to figure out a way to finish a bachelors on my own. but I live in the middle of nowhere and have almost zero job opportunities, and can't afford to move yet.

Thanks for your concern, and I truly appreciate any advice you have.
I'm not rushing into anything and have never been the type to do so, plus my hands are tied until my current work comp case is done (if it ever will be).

Love Life
04-03-2014, 05:03 PM
You may not fare well in the Navy.

The God's honest truth is that the military is enlisting YOU!! Not your fiance, not your dog, etc. The military gives orders, and you either whip out your straw and suck it up or you get bounced. The military has absolutely no concern for your fiance. Since she is not a dependant she will not be taken into consideration when it comes to issuing orders. Also, as a single junior enlisted squid you'll probably find yourself in the barracks. They will not give you a house, com-rats, or BAH if you are single and in the barracks.

Ickisrulz
04-03-2014, 07:27 PM
I have family, my fiancee plans to move with me where ever she can and we have no children. my closest immediate family is 4 hours away from me.

looking at the charts it seems I'd be making more than I do now (barely enough to pay the bills) not taking into account that housing and everything else would be payed for.

I'd prefer a MOS where I could spend minimal time from home and avoid combat if at all possible, but it seems almost impossible without going in as an officer. and I've looked into promotions, and I could start at E-3 with my college credit, but I'm still searching for "the Truth" since it seems every recruiter I speak with is feeding me a line of BS trying to boost their own numbers.

As of right now I am filling out every scholarship application I can get my hands on, and trying to figure out a way to finish a bachelors on my own. but I live in the middle of nowhere and have almost zero job opportunities, and can't afford to move yet.

Thanks for your concern, and I truly appreciate any advice you have.
I'm not rushing into anything and have never been the type to do so, plus my hands are tied until my current work comp case is done (if it ever will be).

Minimal time away from home and avoid combat? Might I suggest the USAF? Many jobs are 9-5 (0700 to 1600), Monday through Friday. If your woman wants to travel with you and live with you, and you want to get BAH and BAS....marry her.

Ickisrulz
04-03-2014, 07:33 PM
I found the original post and cannot refind it... Please do not count o n the navy to pay you a fair wage.. Pm me and I will talk as much as I can... did you look at the previous years retention? Or promotion?

The military pays very well. Those who first enlist do not make enough to raise a family of six, but it is entry level pay and more than fair. They take people in who have very little to offer, train them, clothe them, feed them and house them. After a few years they do pretty well. It only gets better. When my wife retired last year she was making over $70K as an E-8. That brings up retirement pay. You can retire in your 40's and get a check every month until you die. That's fair enough for me.

richhodg66
04-03-2014, 08:08 PM
"I'd prefer a MOS where I could spend minimal time from home and avoid combat if at all possible, but it seems almost impossible without going in as an officer."

Who told you officers don't deploy and don't have risks? I missed five Christmas Holidays and many more anniversaries, kids birthdays, etc over my career. Spent six months away for Desert Storm in Saudi and Iraq then also spent 2004 and 2009 in Iraq, plus a whole lot of other shorter jaunts here and there. Dodged a lot of mortar rounds and such that would have killed me just as dead as a private. Dunno about the Navy, but in the Army, officers lead. Leading means you're where your troops are and do what they do and live under the conditions they live in.

MUSTANG
04-03-2014, 08:55 PM
If your on a small or a large ship you and everyone aboard from E-1 to the Captain is a potential Target; just ask Commander Kirk Lippold of the US Cole whom I know fairly well.

On the other hand, look at the statistical odds. No matter what service, very few are wounded or killed given a US military force of 1.4 Million active and 851,000 reserves.

leeggen
04-03-2014, 09:06 PM
Navy tour is usually 6 months out if aboard ship, meaning officers and enlisted will be on board. You will do what you are told and not what you think for yourself. If the Captain of the ship says no liberty, guess what! If you are on GQ you will be on station till it is callled off, oh and no wife or fi. say can help cause they are not there. Live close to familly, get a factory job in your town, Government caresless if you are close to familly.
Yes I did 4 yrs and I am proud of it, no other organazation or group like it, not even a gang familly. If you can live with being told when to eat when to sleep , how long to go to the head/latreen and what you will wear daily then the military is for you, if not go back to your local factory. Military life is no an easy road, you have gov. regulations , you have civilian reg. and then you have your own life and then you have youand your fi. life. In all you have alot to think about before signing those papers.
No I do not regret my time in service, just want you to understand you become a number, abody to fill a space that is told what to do. Later after you get some yrs in service things get easier, because you adjust to the military life.
JMO
CD

silverado
04-03-2014, 09:49 PM
The military pays very well. Those who first enlist do not make enough to raise a family of six, but it is entry level pay and more than fair. They take people in who have very little to offer, train them, clothe them, feed them and house them. After a few years they do pretty well. It only gets better. When my wife retired last year she was making over $70K as an E-8. That brings up retirement pay. You can retire in your 40's and get a check every month until you die. That's fair enough for me.

I will admit that when I wrote that up last night I had a few tasty beverages, so I was a bit more forward than I should have been. You will make enough to live on as long as you are responsible. If you have a job that has a higher workload, you will be working 80 hours a week, sleeping at work every 3 days (called a duty section), and working from 730 till 4 or 5 every day. It may not seem like a lot at first. Monday, thursday, and Sunday are all duty days for my imaginary week. It still doesn't stop you from working 9 or more hours teusday, wednesday, and friday. Oh, yeah, that is the in port time. On a heavy scheduled unit you may spend about 50% of your time out to sea. So for some people it is just not worth it. If you have the mindset that you will have to be a big boy and work your butt off it will be doable.

Love Life
04-03-2014, 10:01 PM
Military life isn't for the faint of heart. Well...maybe the Air Force. :kidding:

silverado
04-03-2014, 10:06 PM
I also reenlisted to go to shore duty and will go back to see because I have 3 kids to feed and it is a job I know and know that I can do pretty well on. Only 11 years till retirement right? :rolleyes:

Mallard57
04-03-2014, 10:32 PM
Military life isn't for the faint of heart. Well...maybe the Air Force. :kidding:
Wow,
That almost hurts. I miss cruising you guys enlisted club when you go to sea.

Love Life
04-03-2014, 11:24 PM
Hehehe.

Lloyd Smale
04-04-2014, 03:57 AM
Many before you supported our familys on enlisted mans pay. I think i did pretty well at 20 years old in the service. I had as much extra money then as i ever did. Go to a base and see how many young people there are driving new cars.

trapper9260
04-04-2014, 08:25 AM
When you join .Remember you belong to the gov and that is it and there will be places that you will be station that you can not bring anyone with you no matter if they are you wife.it all depend on what your job is and also there is no over time pay no matter if you work 20 hours days in port.and more out at sea.I have a friend that end up going through 2 marriages because of how things was for him in the navy.Also one of my sisters son was in the army end up divorce after being gone for some time.just remember that if you mess up off base you pay that price for what ever it is but the mil will have there turn also.You pay twice for messing up.For how things are now they want you do more then you think and alot of times you will not work in your MOS.I did not.They put you will you are needed that is it.

silverado
04-04-2014, 10:45 AM
I heard if you join the air force advancement is based off of video game scores. ;)

Mallard57
04-04-2014, 11:18 AM
I heard if you join the air force advancement is based off of video game scores. ;)That and staying out of jail. Does the Navy still have DUI scoreboard by the front gate?

Ickisrulz
04-04-2014, 12:15 PM
I heard if you join the air force advancement is based off of video game scores. ;)

No, it is off the Weighted Airman Promotion System (WAPS) that takes into account job performance, decorations, time in service, time in grade and the scores on two tests (Air Force knowledge in general and job specific knowledge). It is as fair as I can imagine it can be (although I could think of a couple changes). Airmen compete against others in their own careerfield throughout the entire Air Force. Competition is one time each year. Also, no one is stagnated because of the careerfield (the way these posts claim Sailors are).

Love Life
04-04-2014, 12:40 PM
We get judged by a round table of E-9's and Senior officers. No tests. Just performance.

silverado
04-04-2014, 12:48 PM
That and staying out of jail. Does the Navy still have DUI scoreboard by the front gate?

Not in norfolk but guam did when I left in 2011, I think the guy holding up the sign would be a great idea but someone would call it hazing...

beezapilot
04-04-2014, 01:31 PM
I'm retired Navy- did my fist 6 years at sea and the next 15 on shore duty. In that 15 years of shore duty I was transferred once, had no duty days, stood no watches, wore a uniform about half the time- I was on call to travel, but was never gone more then 3 weeks at a time. My spouse enjoyed a career that transferred when I did, she was successful in her field and when we transferred it came with a promotion for her as well as myself. I rarely worked in the field I was initially trained in. During my tenure in the USN, my wife and I both earned our degrees, enjoyed many of the benefits of MWR, travel, and the hospitality of Army and Air Force base personnel.
I've been retired now for 16 years, am still in contact with many friends from different services. Yes, there are many stories of how things can go wrong in the military (and NO, I'm not a combat vet, those guys are heroic, and deserve every bit of respect we can all muster), but there are as many success stories too.

silverado
04-04-2014, 02:13 PM
I'm retired Navy- did my fist 6 years at sea and the next 15 on shore duty. In that 15 years of shore duty I was transferred once, had no duty days, stood no watches, wore a uniform about half the time- I was on call to travel, but was never gone more then 3 weeks at a time. My spouse enjoyed a career that transferred when I did, she was successful in her field and when we transferred it came with a promotion for her as well as myself. I rarely worked in the field I was initially trained in. During my tenure in the USN, my wife and I both earned our degrees, enjoyed many of the benefits of MWR, travel, and the hospitality of Army and Air Force base personnel.
I've been retired now for 16 years, am still in contact with many friends from different services. Yes, there are many stories of how things can go wrong in the military (and NO, I'm not a combat vet, those guys are heroic, and deserve every bit of respect we can all muster), but there are as many success stories too.

I hate to say this but the navy is trying to crank down on people who do shore careers. I don't know the details about your situation but there are a lot of people who are basically scamming the navy and skipping out on sea duties.
http://www.navytimes.com/article/20140217/NEWS/302170012/Shore-duty-slackers

Alvarez Kelly
04-04-2014, 02:22 PM
I hate to say this but the navy is trying to crank down on people who do shore careers. I don't know the details about your situation but there are a lot of people who are basically scamming the navy and skipping out on sea duties.

I can't read the article unless I subscribe to the Navy Times. Can you post the article?

HollandNut
04-04-2014, 02:27 PM
It happens , always has , didn't read the link , but someone like myself as a GMG , in a definite sea going rate , would be hard to pull off shore duty beyond normal rotation ..

I know one guy who retired as a Captain , he was on my ship as an Ensign , and recently retired from a teaching billet at an AF base here ..

He told me that about fifteen years into his career , he was told the Navy had nothing for him , so he got out , hooked with this US senator , whom he had taken on a cruise on a reserve can , and the senator got him a job somewhere , the next fifteen years he never saw a Navy base or ship , all teaching billets at various bases of the other branches ..

Now he is sitting on a fat retirement check because he sucked up to somebody

that aint right

snaketail
04-04-2014, 02:27 PM
Is it harder to advance in rank today - than it was during the Vietnam conflict? I made E-5 in 3 years, but I'm seeing guys take 12-50 years to get beyond PO3. I understand you have to advance to have a Navy career, but it is more difficult now?

I got out at the end of my 4 years, but I do with I'd stayed in the Navy.

M

Love Life
04-04-2014, 02:32 PM
We have what we call "Fleet Dodgers" in my service. We have been at war for over a decade, and have service members who have been in as long and haven't chipped in on the war effort. I remember being a Cpl with a larger stack than the SgtMaj of 8th Marines.

HollandNut
04-04-2014, 02:35 PM
may be they claimed they got sea sick and couldn't ride a gator across the pond ?/

that isn't right

you also notice that a lot of those senior NCO's who end up with staff jobs like SgtMaj of 8th marines or Fleet Master Chief , have had very political careers , sucking up to the right peeps at the right time

crazy mark
04-04-2014, 03:05 PM
I'm at work on the last day I work this week. Monday I come in for the retirement party and then I can be on the net whenever I want. I asked my boss what he wanted me to do and was told do whatever you want.

beezapilot
04-04-2014, 05:39 PM

I was an EW (Electronic Warfare), did 4.5 years out of my first 6 at sea. Then I was told the rating was going to be phased out, I applied for IS as a rate conversion and was stationed with an Intell group (nothing like Tom Clancy- moderately boring analysis), the IS rate dead ended me at year 16, my detailer asked if I would consider rectruiting duty (I think I would have rather gone to sea) and retired from there.

silverado
04-04-2014, 05:40 PM
I was an EW (Electronic Warfare), did 4.5 years out of my first 6 at sea. Then I was told the rating was going to be phased out, I applied for IS as a rate conversion and was stationed with an Intell group (nothing like Tom Clancy- moderately boring analysis), the IS rate dead ended me at year 16, my detailer asked if I would consider rectruiting duty (I think I would have rather gone to sea) and retired from there.

Good to know... There are some that are pretty much scamming the navy and screwing the guys covering for them at sea duty.

silverado
04-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Is it harder to advance in rank today - than it was during the Vietnam conflict? I made E-5 in 3 years, but I'm seeing guys take 12-50 years to get beyond PO3. I understand you have to advance to have a Navy career, but it is more difficult now?

I got out at the end of my 4 years, but I do with I'd stayed in the Navy.

M

In some rates it is difficult.... people are getting kicked out at 15 years if they don't make e6. I made e6 in 7 years ish, depends on how well retention is in your rate. High retention generally equals low advancement and lower reenlistment bonuses.

silverado
04-04-2014, 05:47 PM
I can't read the article unless I subscribe to the Navy Times. Can you post the article?

I can't read the full article but could when I posted it... just the navy times trying to get our money.... they can be funny with public-ness of their articles

beagle
04-04-2014, 10:10 PM
I'm sure glad you guys have had the guts to stand up and tell how it is. The military's a good life if you like it. If you're looking for a 9-5, stay at home, well paying job, move on unless you're willing to stay in and stand the abuse it puts you through for the long haul. Too many recruiters "bend" the truth like they always have and suck guys in telling them they'll make so much and get such and such a job.........if they qualify and if the military needs that particular job skill. If you're looking for a gravy train, the military ain't it. If the military was such a great deal, recruiters would be behind bars so you'd have to beat 'em down to join. The military needs people for a rotten job and are willing to pay a semi-decent wage for it if you don't have any other prospects. Expect to earn that pay./beagle

wnmGng
04-04-2014, 10:13 PM
Sorry, I should have clarified. I didn't mean officers didn't go into battle, I meant a few of the medical officer jobs were less likely to be deployed to a war zone in comparison to a FMF Corpsman.
and I am in no way interested in "scamming" the navy, nor am I afraid of ship duty, or travel. the only thing I would prefer is to stay out of battle, but if it is necessary then so be it.

last time I got a job for the "excitement", it almost killed me.

silverado
04-04-2014, 10:36 PM
Sorry, I should have clarified. I didn't mean officers didn't go into battle, I meant a few of the medical officer jobs were less likely to be deployed to a war zone in comparison to a FMF Corpsman.
and I am in no way interested in "scamming" the navy, nor am I afraid of ship duty, or travel. the only thing I would prefer is to stay out of battle, but if it is necessary then so be it.

Don't worry I'm not claiming you are a scammer, I was on a tangent unrelated to you and I apologize for that. If you are reasonably smart I am sure you will do well as an hm. I do not know any hm types personally so I cannot comment on their job. I led things in a direction that did you no good. Btw if you go to guam or Italy and you are married your wife will follow on the navy dime. If you get married after joining then you will have to pay.

beezapilot
04-05-2014, 06:39 AM
Just a note- you don't enlist as a HM with a 8404 / FMF NEC- you generally get rotated into it, sort of like sea duty. If you are good at it, you're held in very high regard by the Marines you support. At the clinic at NAS Brunswick there used to be a wall with all the HM's that had been awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor- if you could read any of those citations with a dry eye I'd never want to play poker with you.

HollandNut
04-05-2014, 07:03 AM
yep and most a those MoH were posthumous as well ..

If ya make it a career odds are you will be in during a 'war' , whether you participate directly or not is the unknown ..

beezapilot
04-05-2014, 11:33 AM
Couldn't resist posting this- kind of sums it up.101469

I think in 1944 medics started getting Combat Pay

quilbilly
04-05-2014, 12:39 PM
You may not fare well in the Navy.

The God's honest truth is that the military is enlisting YOU!! Not your fiance, not your dog, etc. The military gives orders, and you either whip out your straw and suck it up or you get bounced. The military has absolutely no concern for your fiance. Since she is not a dependant she will not be taken into consideration when it comes to issuing orders. Also, as a single junior enlisted squid you'll probably find yourself in the barracks. They will not give you a house, com-rats, or BAH if you are single and in the barracks.
I heartily agree. I spent 21 years in Uncle Sugar's Canoe Club and it isn't for everyone. The Navy is not 9 to 5, it is 24-7 for on average 8 months per year. It is a calling and if you have a spouse, she will have to respect that or your relationship won't work which has been true for thousands of years for seamen of all cultures and all times. I loved being at sea even if I didn't always like what I was ordered to do or who my superiors were.

HollandNut
04-05-2014, 03:36 PM
retired in 94 a GMCS , we called it "world's second largest and funniest canoe club" ..

definitely a divorce machine , if she isn't up to handling everything while you are at sea ..

I loved it at sea , only time that you get any work done

Riverpigusmc
04-05-2014, 04:41 PM

If you want to stay out of combat zones, might want to rethink the whole Corpsman plan. On the plus side, all us grunts always looked out after our Docs, if they were competant

Love Life
04-05-2014, 04:45 PM
To the Navy Corpsman!!

HollandNut
04-05-2014, 04:49 PM
yep them grunts took care of doc , but in return they expect a lot as well ..

Love Life
04-06-2014, 01:09 AM
The Corpsmen run to where you are trying to get away from. My Corpsmen were/are heros, but I still make fun of them for being Navy. I remember watching Doc tear a boot a new one. It was fantastic.

snaketail
04-07-2014, 09:07 AM
"definitely a divorce machine "
I imagine that sea duty saved a bunch of marriages too.
I did 5 years, was married for 4, was "at sea" for 3 of the 4. Got out and found I couldn't stand the woman...
M