PDA

View Full Version : Darn cops...

selmerfan
04-02-2014, 12:18 PM
I was down having coffee with our local coffee group and I mentioned that I was out shooting this morning after I dropped kids off at school. The police chief is a friend of mine and regular coffee guzzler and a heck of a good LEO. He turns to me and says, "You know, we're cleaning and organizing our gun room. We've got some reloading stuff that I'd have to pay hazmat to dispose of. Do you want it?" Stupid question. I ended up with two sealed 1 pound bottles of Hercules Bullseye and about 30 pounds of once-fired 9mm brass. I'm thinking it's a good excuse to buy a 9mm? Though a .38 Special wheelgun is more appealing to my tastes... I told him I'd connect him with some .22LR - his boys are the same age as my girls and they are out of .22LR.

osteodoc08
04-02-2014, 12:20 PM
I hate it when they throw their authority around like that. Gimme his number and I'll set him straight should this happen again.

Nice score. Enjoy.

Boolseye
04-02-2014, 12:24 PM
Well done! Clearly a 9mm is on the horizon–3.5 gr/round=2000 rds per lb. of BE. Should be able to charge all those cases at least once :D

Dframe
04-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Great score. I got a similar offer a few years ago from our range officer.

rsrocket1
04-02-2014, 03:27 PM
So it takes you 30 pounds of brass to entice you to buy a gun for that caliber?

All it took was a used Lee 3 die set for $19 to lure me into 9mm. :)

dondiego
04-02-2014, 03:35 PM
That is certainly abuse of authority and t's just plain mean to the hazmat guys. I like top bu holsters on sale. Then it justifies my search for a pistol that fits that holster. I suppose if I came into a stash of brass I would need to buy a new firearm in that caliber to use it up. I don't like waste!

Chili
04-02-2014, 04:17 PM
So it takes you 30 pounds of brass to entice you to buy a gun for that caliber?

All it took was a used Lee 3 die set for $19 to lure me into 9mm. :)

Took 20 empty 41 Mag cases to get me to buy a Blackhawk 41!

w5pv
04-02-2014, 04:48 PM
If he has any more hazmat stuff to give,never mind too far to drive.

freebullet
04-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Wish we had some "darn cops" like that round here.

I had to trade off less than 20pcs of 45lc cause I was scared of what would happen if i kept them long.

Bored1
04-02-2014, 08:29 PM
Wish we had some "darn cops" like that round here.

I had to trade off less than 20pcs of 45lc cause I was scared of what would happen if i kept them long.

Same exact reason I had to give away some .454 casull brass. Saw a lever gun in the S&S and thought oh no I don't even really want that. The next week found a handful of .454 starline brass at the range and couldn't get rid of them fast enough. No way those sit @ my house for more than 2 weeks before I am trying to convince everyone, "oh no I've always had that, you don't pay attention!" [smilie=1:

Wish I knew some cops like that! Guess I should start making friends with a few first huh?

Green Frog
04-02-2014, 10:11 PM
My cop friend was only a Lieutenant, so I just got a lunch bag full of once fired 38 Spl. I did get to go on an all night ride along, though! :D

Froggie

GaryN
04-02-2014, 11:53 PM
Yeah I know. Those guys can be tough. I know a local cop that left 1000 empty once fired 45acp casings on my porch. I forced myself to get a 45.

Bigslug
04-03-2014, 12:35 AM
Yeah, they're horrid people. I had two H&G 10 cavity molds forced upon me for similar reasons. We should call the ACLU.

TMenezes
04-03-2014, 12:58 AM
We have a ton of .40 brass at our LEO range. I've looked at the buckets of premium brass and thought I should start loading that caliber. But honestly I just don't get exited about .40S&W or any semi auto for that matter. Much prefer my .44 Special and .45 Colt revolvers. Plus most of that brass, maybe all of it, are shot with Glocks and have that Glock bulge left in it. Still, if I ever do get into that caliber I won't have to buy any brass...

blikseme300
04-03-2014, 01:07 AM
Took 20 empty 41 Mag cases to get me to buy a Blackhawk 41!

Bought my first 40S&W pistol when I had picked up about 2,000 cases, my first Delta Elite 10mm when I had collected 1,000 cases and there are other cartridges that at some point will compel me to get a pistol or rifle to use these cases. Can't let good brass go to waste, I say. SWMABO does not understand how much money I will be saving by using all the brass I pick up!

nicholst55
04-03-2014, 01:07 AM
We have a ton of .40 brass at our LEO range. I've looked at the buckets of premium brass and thought I should start loading that caliber. But honestly I just don't get exited about .40S&W or any semi auto for that matter. Much prefer my .44 Special and .45 Colt revolvers. Plus most of that brass, maybe all of it, are shot with Glocks and have that Glock bulge left in it. Still, if I ever do get into that caliber I won't have to buy any brass...

You can always swage that .40 S&W brass into .44 and .45 j-word bullets...

smokeywolf
04-03-2014, 01:14 AM
What, no primers?

Although it's nice for folks to be reminded that there are still some mighty good cops out there. Next time, think twice about making a good deed like that quite so public. With scum like Holder still lurking around, things like this could come back to bite your buddy right in his keester.

Remember the old adage, "No good deed goes unpunished."

smokeywolf

zuke
04-03-2014, 07:10 AM
Networking does has it's benefit's!

Harter66
04-03-2014, 09:30 AM
Guys,
The solution to your brass problem is BlackHawks and convertable cylinders. :)

3 guns a dozen cartridges. SWMBO gets a little break too,new cylinders are cheaper than whole guns.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-03-2014, 09:41 AM
Yeah gotta love living in small town Minnesota !
Glencoe's current police Chief is a friend of mine, but he is a gun collector and a reloader as well :(

Last year during the "National night out" block party, the Chief stopped by our block, one of my neighbors (a widow) brought out a box full of boxes of vintage/collectible ammo that was her late husbands (WWII Vet) and gave it to the Chief to "dispose" of properly, Now She new I am into guns and such, She also has three Married Daughters and all three SIL's shoot and hunt.

The Chief knew all this and had a BIG grin on his face :bigsmyl2:

I still like him anyway ;)

geargnasher
04-03-2014, 08:30 PM
"Gear's Rules" outlines the protocol on equipment/components for mandatory gun purchase.

Gear

wistlepig1
04-03-2014, 11:15 PM
"Darn Cops", that's the way I was given 3, 5 gallon buckets of 45acp brass. but No powder!:wink:

screamingjohnny
04-04-2014, 06:56 PM
Hats off to the generous police buddy! I only with that I had one.

Lance Boyle
04-04-2014, 09:10 PM
Oy, I wouldn't even try that (publicly), my whole state is on a rampage to collect any nickel they can find. They were paying people to take scrap metal away so they ended up giving it to a local for nothing to avoid paying the haul away fee. They inquired about hauling to the scrap yard themselves in a work truck and turn in the receipt. They couldn't find a policy on that so now they don't allow them to give it away and tell them to stock pile the metal scrap. The wood scrap they were giving away now must go in the dumpster lest an employee recycle it at home.

Our PD range brass was being traded at the ammo supplier for range incidentals; staple guns, staples, gun cleaning supplies, backers, training aids. Nope, that they have a policy to send it to the capital now. The range guy got some heat for misallocating funds even though they were being used for work. You can't make this stuff up.

I even got asked about 500 .40 cal cases I gave away to one of the mechanics. I had to get pissy and let them know it was from ammo I bought not theirs. (Back from when buying a box of .40 was only 9 bucks)