PDA

View Full Version : Enlisting in the Navy and continuing education.

wnmGng
04-02-2014, 11:28 AM
I've always wanted to join the military, as a career, and the past couple years have been rough financially. I planned on going into the delayed entry program straight out of high school but decided against it because my girlfriend (now fiancee) wasn't comfortable with the idea of me going into EOD, and I don't blame her.

Now the idea has risen again and she is ecstatic about the possibility of travel and financial independence, but I've gotten into the medical field so naturally I want to continue with that and the only enlisted medical rate I can find is Hospital Corpsman, so that's what I plan to do for now. I'm speaking with a recruiter later today.

My questions are:
1. Almost two years ago I broke my back, it didn't require surgery, and I've been rated at 10% disability, but the Dr. released me without restrictions. will this cause any issues?

2. I'm an NREMT-b, will the Navy have a program to help me gain the needed CE hours and keep this from expiring?

3. Is there a program where I can enlist, to get back on my feet, obtain a bachelors degree while enlisted and get into OCS?
a. Or after I've gotten established is there a way I could take off, go to medical school, and come back in as a physician?

4. It's my understanding that after boot and A-school, the Navy will move my wife to wherever I'm stationed. is this true for bases overseas such as Japan, Italy, or Guam?

5. I have 50 college credits, I understand this could put me in as an E-3, but are there any advanced placement programs for high ASVAB scores (I scored a 94 FWIW). and how far will this score realistically get me?

and last but not least, to all you Navy guys, if you could go back would you enlist again?

Thanks in advance.

trapper9260
04-02-2014, 12:43 PM
I was in the navy and right out of high school under delay entry. Corpsmen school last i know of is in Great lakes and as for your back i think you have a had time with that.But it is worth to try if you really want to go in.As for me I would not go back in.I did the delay entry and then 4 years active duty and then in active Res that was total of 6 years and then try the active Res for 2 years and got out it is not for me after total of 8 years in all.My oldest sister was a corpsman.got out because of her husband at the time.I also had 2 sister that was in the airforce and 1 brother in the navy.As for money it will not be easy being in.That is just for what i know unless someone else have something else to say.

Hardcast416taylor
04-02-2014, 12:46 PM
A very good friend of ours Son is on a delayed enlistment till late May for entering the USMC at Pendalton. He is enlisting in honor of my Marine son that passed away 3 years ago today.Robert

popper
04-02-2014, 12:53 PM
Talk with the recruiter and make sure of his answers. Check the number of corpsmen, new ratings for the year, etc. Would I go back - no, but then I'm too old anyway. I was combat rated, not support, reserves didn't even want me. Don't count on too much relocation pay, it's usually just travel expenses. You'd probably have to get shore duty to continue any education. I knew several that went on to med school, I think you need to get into OCS or whatever and get rated as a real doc.

Gus Youmans
04-02-2014, 01:00 PM
Those are questions that you need to ask the recruiter because the answers frequently change depending on the manpower needs and budget constraints of the service. Any specific answers you get from members of this site should be taken with a grain of salt unless the respondent asked a recruiter those same questions within the last week or they are currently serving in the Navy as a hospital corpsman. Even information from currently serving service members may be different from what you get from the recruiter because of time in service/time in grade differences. A medical doctor, not the recruiter, will make the determination if your back injury disqualifies you from serving. Also, you need to talk to the state board that maintains your certification records to determine if service school programs will satisfy their continuing education requirements.

Gus Youmans

Ickisrulz
04-02-2014, 01:10 PM
Get an education now and if you desire, go into the military as an officer. There are lots of educational opportunities in the military, but your job comes first. This means that you are not guaranteed the ability to go to school. Officers make more...much more money. They also can continue their education on the taxpayers tab.

There are commissioning programs for enlisted people, but they are highly competitive.

At least in the Air Force, they allowed enlisted people a year off to finish their degree, but that was not a commissioning program. You had to pay back your time--and then some.

The military always pays to move your family and household goods.

I was enlisted in the AF for 20+ years and I regret none of it. If my kids wanted to go into the military...I'd try to get them to go in as officers.

wnmGng
04-02-2014, 01:15 PM
I want to go in as an officer, and I planned on it. Thats why I didnt do the DEP for EOD. But I fear I can no longer afford school on my own, thats why I am considering enlisted first. Plus I would be able to see how the enlisted side lives.

Love Life
04-02-2014, 01:17 PM
Education is a carrot dangled in front of the rabbit. Duty first and always. If you come in as a Corpsman you could end up blue or greenside. Blue side you'll probably have time to finish a degree. Go greenside and you belong to the Marines and you probably won't have time to complete a degree in the traditional sense. Between deployments and field time you may be able to buckle down during your libbo time to knock out a correspondence degree. That's all I can really offer on the subject.

HollandNut
04-02-2014, 01:22 PM
I was in the Navy for 21 years , retired in 1994 .. Yes they have programs to get a commission while enlisted , lots did college courses after hours , I dunno what its called now but it was NESEP IIRC when I was in ..

Some bases are unaccompanied tours , she stays here , but those you listed , she would most likely be able to go .. Spain and Italy are nice .. If you go to a ship , she will go with you to homeport ..

You MAY be able with your scores to go straight to college .. When I did my exams , I scored high enough to go straight to college , and was offered that option three times ..

starmac
04-02-2014, 02:16 PM
If you are going in strictly for financial concerns, here is a possible option. The reason I say possible, is that it may have changed, but the state of Alaska would under certain conditions pay off school loans to some in the medical field, when they signed a contract to work so long in certain areas. I don't know if they still do this, or the particulars, but you would get some traveling in and some lessons on native village culture. lol I also don't know if it has changed or not, but a nurse used to get their retirement in, in 5 years too.

wnmGng
04-02-2014, 02:31 PM
Its not strictly for financial concerns, I've always planned to go. But the finances are the reason to go before I finish my bachelors.

Alaska is where we plan to move when I get out.

richhodg66
04-02-2014, 06:54 PM
I don't know about the Navy, but the Army will have education centers with colleges offering courses and degrees you can do in your off time and will usually make a lot of allowances for field times, etc., to get it done. Most Soldiers could get a lot of college knocked out during an enlistment if they buckled down and did it, the problem is, they are young men, free from mom and dad for the first time and most will spend any free time goofing around rather than doing anything productive. That doesn't sound like you, so go for it and start looking to get college courses in while you're in.

In the Army, OCS is the hard way to get a commission. Getting it through ROTC at an accredited college is better. You might get your initial enlistment done to get the GI bill. ETS and stay in the reserves while you go to college and do ROTC then go back in as an O-1 (Ensign in the Navy).

Whereabouts in Kansas are you?

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-02-2014, 07:15 PM
If you are going in strictly for financial concerns, here is a possible option. The reason I say possible, is that it may have changed, but the state of Alaska would under certain conditions pay off school loans to some in the medical field, when they signed a contract to work so long in certain areas. I don't know if they still do this, or the particulars, but you would get some traveling in and some lessons on native village culture. lol I also don't know if it has changed or not, but a nurse used to get their retirement in, in 5 years too.

That's for real huh ?
It sure made for a great storyline in a TV show (Northern Exposure)

also, a nurse can retire in 5 years ?
My Cousin was a Nurse for many many years...so long that they named a clinic after her "Clara Morgan Subregional Clinic" http://www.ykhc.org/about-ykhc/medical-facilities/subregional-clinics/aniak-subregional-clinic/

sparky45
04-02-2014, 07:18 PM
I finished my Navy "career" after 4 years 1965-1969, as a Hospital Corpsman. Would I do it again; in a heartbeat. I noticed an above comment concerning OCS, I'm not sure but I don't think that would be available to you. Education is key and the more of it you have the better it'll be for your advancement. I my 4 years I made HM2 (E-5) and was eligible to test for advancement at the end of my tour. I later (after my Service) became a Registered Nurse and then a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist, and I owe it all to my level of education I received from the Navy.
I wish you the very best and congrats on your decision.
P.S. Don't put much stock in what a recruiter "promises" they all use the time honored techniques of "bait and switch". It's like when you apply for your preferred duty station, you choose your top three places and don't be surprised if NONE of your choices are even remotely close to where you are billeted.:lol:

AKtinman
04-02-2014, 08:53 PM
I don’t have any Navy experience, all mine was Coast Guard. It used to be that Coastie Corpsmen went to Navy schools because the Coast Guard was too small to have its own schools. Don’t know if it is still that way or not.

The CG has Corpsmen in Alaska at Kodiak and Sitka for sure, and on some of the cutters as well, so that might be of interest to you.

The downside to the Coast Guard is that the stations and bases are small compared to the Navy and there is not as much opportunity for overseas travel. The plus side is shipboard deployments would be shorter than the larger Navy ships. Pay would be the same for both services.

Anything the recruiter promises (Navy or CG), I would get in writing.

Not trying to sway you in a different direction, just throwing out some options you may not know about.

As to Alaska, here’s a site to check out: http://doa.alaska.gov/dop/workplace/

I suspect the earlier comment about nurses retiring in 5 years might refer to the fact that State of Alaska employees are vested into the retirement system after 5 years of employment.

Good luck in your decision!

wnmGng
04-02-2014, 09:02 PM
Thanks everyone, I talked to a few recruiters (the whole office was pushing me to sign today).

They didn't clarify a lot of the questions I had, and they promised me a bunch of stuff I know was BS. So I'm going to talk to someone else next week probably, no matter what I do I've got a few strings to tie up before I go anywhere.

Whereabouts in Kansas are you?

Elk County, in the middle of nowhere.

leeggen
04-02-2014, 09:36 PM
Military can and does at times put alot of strain on a marrage. Many things to think about beside finances. Ask lots of questions and beleive only the answers you have investigated and varified. Recrutors will say about anything to get you to sign.
People don't flame me for my oppinion.
CD

pretzelxx
04-02-2014, 09:36 PM
In the navy I believe there's more options to continue school than the in army. My cousin is an e7 and he's said his entire career he's had so many opportunities to get more education. So far my three years i've been pretty restricted due to deployment and other missions that put a hold on that. I still plan to get more education, but it's been at least a year and a half delay.

DIRT Farmer
04-02-2014, 11:50 PM
Get it in writing. In 1969 My USMC recruter promised me I could go in as a Marine medic.
I guess y'all know how that worked out.
Both of my sons went to the Army, with contracts.

Love Life
04-02-2014, 11:52 PM
Your recruiter got you good!!

TreeKiller
04-03-2014, 12:11 AM
Told my AF recruiter after he told me all his lies. " Once I sign the dotted line they will do what they want with me" He had this shocked look on his face and said "your right." 1965 to 1969

silverado
04-03-2014, 12:11 AM
Military recruiters are basically used car salesman. Any hm rate is not doing too good as far as promotions. I will also admit had I picked a "dumber" rate I could be a chief by now
Just puck what makes you happy but make sure you check how much promotes every cycle

silverado
04-03-2014, 12:13 AM
I'm going to bed now but if you have any other questions for ACTIVE DUTY please ask and I will do my best to answer

silverado
04-03-2014, 12:15 AM
Also have a good friend who is e5 in the air force who can answer questions I'm sure, just ask

trapper9260
04-03-2014, 07:34 AM
Military can and does at times put alot of strain on a marrage. Many things to think about beside finances. Ask lots of questions and beleive only the answers you have investigated and varified. Recrutors will say about anything to get you to sign.
People don't flame me for my oppinion.
CD

You are right on the marrage strain .I seen too much of it when I was in.and now it is worst.For what i seen when I was in I did not get married and now still is not.

HollandNut
04-03-2014, 08:45 AM
making chief has nothing to do with a "dummer rate" , has to do with being lucky enough to have a job that is critical and mostly undermanned through each pay grade .. I made chief in 11 years and senior at 14 , was a Gunners Mate , far from a "dumber rate" .. Based on when I was in , cant say now a days , corpsman was so so for promotions , just don't be a Seabee , those guys are in some "smart rates" and never make E6 in 20 years .. I think now a days it's probably much harder to make chief because it's a smaller Navy .. I know lots who are retiring as E6 in rates that would have easily made Chief or Senior in twenty when I was in

silverado
04-03-2014, 08:57 AM
making chief has nothing to do with a "dummer rate" , has to do with being lucky enough to have a job that is critical and mostly undermanned through each pay grade .. I made chief in 11 years and senior at 14 , was a Gunners Mate , far from a "dumber rate" .. Based on when I was in , cant say now a days , corpsman was so so for promotions , just don't be a Seabee , those guys are in some "smart rates" and never make E6 in 20 years .. I think now a days it's probably much harder to make chief because it's a smaller Navy .. I know lots who are retiring as E6 in rates that would have easily made Chief or Senior in twenty when I was in

I'm a submarine nuclear em, had I chosen boatswains mate I may have had an edge over my rating competitors as far as the exam goes. The promotions are you competing with everyone else in your rate. If someone with a 97 asvab score is competing with someone with a 40 asvab score, more than likely the person who scored higher on the asvab will score higher on the rating exam. Also when nobody gets out of a rate l, due to easier job or more job satisfaction, then promotions lower. There are some dumb coremen outthere. Not all mind you, but I was tested for herpes 3 times, all negative, was told I had herpes of the throat, and it turned out it was mono like I told them. I also have more stories. I know a guy who got a brain tumor because a combination of dental and medical screwups.

silverado
04-03-2014, 09:01 AM
Gunners Mate requires an asvab score of 205, nuclear field is either around 250 or 290 depending on how the scores are added. http://usmilitary.about.com/od/navy/l/blasvabscores.htm
Gm actually requires more than I previously thought.... I guess I should give them a bit more credit

Love Life
04-03-2014, 09:47 AM
Ya'll get promoted based off of a test?

silverado
04-03-2014, 09:50 AM

Test combined with eval and points from awards, the test is a big part of it though

Love Life
04-03-2014, 09:52 AM
Dang.

silverado
04-03-2014, 09:55 AM
http://www.navyit.com/advance.html

sparky45
04-03-2014, 09:55 AM
Elk County; I live in Chautauqua Co. we're practically backyard neighbors.

Thanks everyone, I talked to a few recruiters (the whole office was pushing me to sign today).

They didn't clarify a lot of the questions I had, and they promised me a bunch of stuff I know was BS. So I'm going to talk to someone else next week probably, no matter what I do I've got a few strings to tie up before I go anywhere.

Elk County, in the middle of nowhere.

sparky45
04-03-2014, 09:59 AM
I don't know about now, but that's the way is was back in the day (1965-1969).

popper
04-03-2014, 10:49 AM
lucky enough to have a job that is critical and mostly undermanned through each pay grade - yup, bean counters control it. And standard test for rating, competition in rate. I got re-rated from MT to FT (E5) and didn't even know what trig was. C is always the answer. I requested DLG/DDG duty and ended up on a CAG headed to Cuba. Nuke boat was out of the question due to physical condition, as were the other service branches. I denied offers of navcad, pilot training & academy at boot camp. Most of the Corpmen I knew were deck apes who wanted & qual'd for the rate.

HollandNut
04-03-2014, 03:45 PM
In the Navy , when I was there , the last promotion exam was for Chief ( E-7 ) , once you passed the Chief exam , whether you advanced or not , each year , provided you were recommended , you automatically went before the board .. Once time in pay grade was met for advancing to E8 or E9 , you automatically went before the board , provided you were recommended

wnmGng
04-03-2014, 05:01 PM
Elk County; I live in Chautauqua Co. we're practically backyard neighbors.

Wow, around sedan? I think that's the closest I've ever seen someone online.

beex215
04-03-2014, 09:03 PM
i would have thought that the back problem would have been a problem. asvab score wasnt so important compared to gt score for me. the magic number was 110 on the gt score and that made you open to more military opportunities/jobs. the recruiters are liars and you already know. i wanted to be infantry and they said no slots were available. i told people this and they were all shocked. i came to the conclusion that i scored too much to be an infantryman. im not navy but, when my contract expires, i do plan on enlisting in another branch. maybe a marine. we might see each other without even knowing. also, officers do get delpoyed. captains, generals, you name it.

Love Life
04-03-2014, 09:42 PM
My recruiter told me there was no infantry available. I told him I was going to go talk to the Air Force instead and headed for the door. He magically crapped out an infantry slot by the time I reach the door.

Middle of a war and no infantry slots? Puh-lease.

silverado
04-04-2014, 10:39 PM
I've always wanted to join the military, as a career, and the past couple years have been rough financially. I planned on going into the delayed entry program straight out of high school but decided against it because my girlfriend (now fiancee) wasn't comfortable with the idea of me going into EOD, and I don't blame her.

Now the idea has risen again and she is ecstatic about the possibility of travel and financial independence, but I've gotten into the medical field so naturally I want to continue with that and the only enlisted medical rate I can find is Hospital Corpsman, so that's what I plan to do for now. I'm speaking with a recruiter later today.

My questions are:
1. Almost two years ago I broke my back, it didn't require surgery, and I've been rated at 10% disability, but the Dr. released me without restrictions. will this cause any issues?

2. I'm an NREMT-b, will the Navy have a program to help me gain the needed CE hours and keep this from expiring?

3. Is there a program where I can enlist, to get back on my feet, obtain a bachelors degree while enlisted and get into OCS?
a. Or after I've gotten established is there a way I could take off, go to medical school, and come back in as a physician?

4. It's my understanding that after boot and A-school, the Navy will move my wife to wherever I'm stationed. is this true for bases overseas such as Japan, Italy, or Guam?

5. I have 50 college credits, I understand this could put me in as an E-3, but are there any advanced placement programs for high ASVAB scores (I scored a 94 FWIW). and how far will this score realistically get me?

and last but not least, to all you Navy guys, if you could go back would you enlist again?

Thanks in advance.

1. Can't answer.
2 . Can't answer
3. Sort of... sta 21 program you can apply for the navy to pay you to go to college. I forget the detaila. Look it up.
4. Yes if you are married before enlisting.
5. Don't know. Join the nuclear program and you get e4 after 5-7 months.

sparky45
04-06-2014, 06:47 PM
Yep; just west of Economy Manufacturing.

Wow, around sedan? I think that's the closest I've ever seen someone online.

Lonegun1894
04-08-2014, 02:50 AM
I enlisted in May '00, til May '05. Scored a 94 out of a possible 99 points, with over 60 college credits, so about the same as you. At MEPS, they told me they had no Corpsman slots available, but told me they were putting me in as a nuke. Told them I hadn't signed anything so to let me know when they had a HM job for me, and turned to walk out. They magically found "the last one" for me. I was single, so wasn't worried about a wife, but got through with all my training for the Green Side shortly before Sep 11th happened, so they kept us pretty busy. I managed to get a whole THREE (3) college credit hours done in my 5 years in due to deployments, and I tried. It was a matter of I would sign up, get told I am going someplace, and drop the class. Get back, sign up, and get told I am going somewhere. You get the idea. My first duty station was on Okinawa, and like I said, single. I had married friends, some chose to move their wives there, others didn't. Here was the deal. I was assigned there for 1 year, but if they wanted their wives there, they automatically got extended to a three year hitch there. Here was the problem. You go there, and move your wife there. Then you get deployed for however long, and your wife is stuck there, not knowing the area, the language, etc. So hopefully she can make friends with other wives who are in the same shoes so they have each other to help each other stay sane. If not, you may not have a wife to come back to. Then there was a couple that I went through Field Med school with, who met in Basic Hospital Corps School, and got married during Field Med. They got stationed on Okinawa with me, except for 3 years. Well, Sep 11 hit, and he got deployed, while she was assigned to the clinic for the 3 years. He was actually there 2 months out of that three years, and then, he got assigned to Camp Pendleton (and stayed deployed again the rest of his hitch there), while she got stationed in San Diego, cause the Navy figured that this was close enough, and it is "needs of the Navy" over your and your wife's needs afterall. This won't be a shocker, but they got divorced last I heard.

As to keeping your certifications, nothing is promised or guaranteed. If you manage to keep them on your own time, great, but the Navy doesn't care one bit if you keep your certs, since as a Corpsman you can work on any of their people, and are allowed to do much more than you ever could as an EMT, regardless of EMT level of certification. You wouldn't believe some of the things they had us field rat Corpsmen doing as far as medical procedures. If I was to go do half of them now, I would get locked up for practicing medicine without a license as a civilian.

I know school is expensive, but I would recommend that you follow the advice you got above and look into various programs that will pay for your schooling, including student loans and anything else that will allow you to finish school and go in as an officer to begin with. Don't get me wrong, I loved what I did, and would do it again if I wasn't physically broken, I mean injuries, not just out of shape, but I made friends with several doctors while I was in (even though regs prohibited this). They would teach me hospital medicine while I taught them field medicine and field craft in general, and we would compare notes quite a bit. A doctor, fresh out of school, would go in as an 0-3 at that time, and get paid about 3.5-4K/month, while I was getting 1K/month, spending most of my time in the field, while they would come out, and go back to be more comfortable, or at least be supplied with a lot more creature comforts, like a warmed or cooled tent, depending on where we got sent. You get the idea. Yes, they would still get deployed, but were usually kept out of most high risk areas, or at least they tried to keep then safer than they ever did us. On the other hand, I got exactly what I wanted in terms of training, experience, etc. I didn't join to get put behind a desk or pampered, but wanted field time, combat, and everything else that goes with that. I got it. Can't say I enjoyed it all, but wouldn't trade it for anything either.

Talk things over with your wife, do as much research as possible, and then proceed as you two think is best, while realizing that anything the recruiters tell you is more than likely a lie designed to get you to sign, and if in writing, read it and think it over in terms of how can what they wrote be twisted to be to advantage to them and disadvantage to you, cause if possible, it will get twisted somehow. And above all, remember that you are not in this alone, and whatever you do, or get yourself into, affects your wife at least as much as it does you. I always thought that it was much easier on us actually doing the job, than it was on the loved ones at home, who we couldn't tell where we were doing, or what we were doing, or when we would be back. Most of my friends who got married while they were in, or went in married, didn't stay that way. And then, depending on how resilient your mind is, and what your job actually entails, the man your wife gets back, may or may not be the same man she sent away, so you better have a long hard look at yourself, and tell her all this also, cause in the end, your ultimate responsibility is to your wife and any kids you two have now or will have in the future. I'm not telling you to not do it, just saying to make sure you go in fully informed of the possible consequences of this decision. Talk to old vets, regardless of what their job was, and ask them how they were changed by their Service. Some weren't changed much, and some came back as completely different people. The full spectrum is a possibility, remember that, because no one can tell you how they will deal with any given situation until they are faced with it, and anyone who tells you otherwise is full of it. You may not see or do much, or you may do more than you ever thought. Never know til you're there, so be careful what you wish for.

wnmGng
04-09-2014, 10:48 AM
Wow, thank you very much lonegun, right now I'm still thinking things over (I won't be able to go for a while even if I decide to anyways) and trying to find some scholarships to help pay for school.

I don't mind going to combat (I think the training and experience would be excellent) but I'm worried about my wife if I do go, I don't want to leave her alone with no family or friends near us.

IDSS
04-11-2014, 10:38 AM

Don't know about that with the Seabees. I came out as BU1(SCW) after my first enlistment. Early candidate twice. NMCB's chew 'em up and spit 'em out. Lots of attrition. BU, SW, CM, and EO always seemed to do really well come advancement time. CE, UT, and EA seemed like they were always waiting for someone to die or retire before they could advance.
It's all about your rate's CREO group. Can't remember what the acronym stands for, but it describes the manning and advancement potential for each rate.
"Choose your rate, choose your fate" as they always say. Stated in other terms, a given rate's advancement potential seems proportionally tied to its degree of unpleasantness/difficulty and inversely proportionally tied to its perceived value in the "real world."

MrWolf
04-11-2014, 09:22 PM
Good post Lonegun. Think about what has been said and the advise given. I never served so I can't address that but I did pay for all my schooling. Don't discount finding a job that will pay for your education - you may find a civil service job that will do just that. My current job paid the majority for my Masters 25 years after I got my Bachelors. Look into scholarships, grants, loans, etc. to get the degree. Sounds like the consensus us to go in as an officer for the best career path. Good luck.

Ron

HollandNut
04-11-2014, 09:30 PM
Yeah CREO , career reenlistment objectives , every rates paygrades were either A B C D or E IIRC , for manning levels , A was critical , B was not quite as critical etc .. ya wanted to be either an A or B or wanted the next paygrade to be A or B in your rate

IDSS
04-12-2014, 10:12 AM
Yeah CREO , career reenlistment objectives , every rates paygrades were either A B C D or E IIRC , for manning levels , A was critical , B was not quite as critical etc .. ya wanted to be either an A or B or wanted the next paygrade to be A or B in your rate

Yep, when I was in, most Builders didn't make it more than one enlistment. It was really hard work being the "Boatswain's Mate of the Seabees." I was able to advance every time I was eligible to test.
The manning levels were such that the final multiples you needed to advance were a chip shot. In fact, I was never even frocked. CO pinned on the crows; I was getting paid the next PP.

Now HM, on the other hand, was a completely different story. My brother was in at around the same time. He got stationed at the Fleet Hospital NAS Jacksonville and picked up HM3 while he was there. After that point, each cycle saw paltry numbers going to HM2 and above. That's just the way the Navy does it. Each cycle, they pretty much know how many are going to advance. The exam serves to shake out who'll get the available spots.
WRT the concept of they'll "Do whatever they need/want with you," my brother was also involuntarily extended at that duty station for the duration of his enlistment. This, while he was virtually begging to be sent to sea. Just more staffing strangeness; most guys are clamoring for shore duty in FL. Around then for some reason, they just couldn't keep that hospital staffed.

Moral of the story. we each had a good time while enlisted in the Navy. I got out and worked my way into the law enforcement arena. My brother got out, got his degree, and went back as an officer. He's now an O3, makes waayy more money, and has actually done more interesting things as an officer than he did as an HM working in a Stateside hospital.

snowwolfe
04-12-2014, 10:56 AM
Getting college while serving in the military can be easy. My wife finished her BA going "bootstrap" which was an AF program at the time. She was basically released from her job for one year and attended college full time while being paid and the time she was in school also counted towards her retirement. After the BA she just plugged along taking classes along the way and finished her Masters as well. I wasn't as motivated as her and picked up enough classes in my career to be just shy of my BA. ANYONE can pick up at least a BA while enlisted if they are committed to their education.
As far as your back I am surprised anyone recruiter is trying to "sign you up" until you pass their physical.

Good luck, a 20 year career in the military allowed me to retire at 39 and my wife at 40 and she is within 5 years of "retiring" again from a Federal job. The pensions allowed us to do things we never thought possible. Plus after year 4 and E-5 the pay is pretty damn good even though most GI's would rather have you believe they are broke.

HollandNut
04-12-2014, 02:35 PM
I was broke till I made E-6 ( 1982 ) and we got the big sea pay increases across the board about the same time ,, Until then everyone regardless of rank got a flat $25 a month sea pay , then it was based on pay grade and years of actual sea duty , then they gave you a $100 bonus on sea duty after 36 months in that sea tour .. Once they started that , everyone wanted to stay at sea ..

I have an LES around here somewhere that somehow survived the years of wandering .. E-6 over 12 with the increased sea pay and $100 bonus , I was clearing $628 every two weeks ..

Lloyd Smale
04-15-2014, 06:31 AM
the advice you got to talk to the recruiter is the best advice youll get. If he promises anything including schools get it in writing. As to your questions ill take a bit of a shot but this is based on real old info and i dont know if its still applys.
1. I dont have a clue but if i were you I sure wouldnt get excited yet.
2 dont know
3 there used to be
4 depending on the duty station. Some isolated and combat stations dont allow it.
5 your high score should give you some preferentail as to picking schools. Dont be surprised if the recruiter trys stearing you toward a more technical field wiht those scores.
6 biggest mistake i ever made was getting out of the military.

My questions are:

Thanks in advance.

silverado
04-16-2014, 10:58 AM
Something else to consider.... buying a house while in the military is a huge gamble. I may be either losing my a$$ selling my house, renting it to who knows, or getting out just so I can keep it since the detailer says there is no sea duty billet right now in the area.

Springfield0612
04-18-2014, 06:37 PM
Ive had the pleasure of being stationed on 3 Submarines, I shore duty that was submariners and surface sailors. Ive also had the immense pleasure of working at a Naval Hospital. Working at the hospital with the Corpasman was a huge eye opener and a huge honor. It was an amazing time in my career. If I was to come back in I wouldnt go back to Submarines. Id go Corpsman.

You need to understand that there is a reason that the military allows you to retire after 20 years. They get every ounce of your soul for that 20. A military career can be a means to an end, but at what cost? And are you willing to pay that price?

Where do you live at now?
I can get you I contact with Corpsman that will shoot you straight about a lot of your questions instead of telling you what you want to here. There are a lot of restrictions and requirements from going enlisted to officer. I do know that the Navy his hurting for Physicians, and they are asking for enlisted to convert into that officer program.

PM me and we can talk more open and honestly.

snowwolfe
04-19-2014, 01:50 PM
Something else to consider.... buying a house while in the military is a huge gamble. I may be either losing my a$$ selling my house, renting it to who knows, or getting out just so I can keep it since the detailer says there is no sea duty billet right now in the area.

All house purchases are a gamble in this economy but at least with the military all your housing allowances are free of any federal income tax and state tax and then you can deduct all the interest you pay on the loan.

silverado
04-19-2014, 01:53 PM
All house purchases are a gamble in this economy but at least with the military all your housing allowances are free of any federal income tax and state tax and then you can deduct all the interest you pay on the loan.

That's fine and dandy if you don't have to move every 3 to 4 years. I might be getting out next year and that is about 50% of the reason.

beezapilot
04-19-2014, 02:09 PM
As a former recruiter- here are a couple of tricks of the trade
1- Take the ASVAB and Physical- they are then good for any of the services. They are your entrance ticket to the processing station.
2- The recruiter is the least of your worries, his job is to get you qualified and then sit you down with the CLASSIFIER at the processing station, this is where the bucks stops for job assignment. Your recruiters job is done when your butt hits that seat.
3- You may take a little flame from the recruiter if you QNE (Qualified, Not Enlisted), but the Classifier is the one that does up the contract. Many is the time I brought an applicant to MEPS to be in job field A and and they enlisted for job field B- Classifier did that, not me.
4- Once you are qualified, you can shop around with the services, your reputation will proceed you if you QNE- but hold out for what you want (within reason) NO they can not gaurantee that you will end up flying fighters in 9 years.
5- Be persistant, if you are qualified shopping at towords the latter part of the month when quotas are in question may open a few doors.
Yeah- pay is tough, add medical, 3 hots & a cot, moving allowances, and benefits (take advantage of every one and spend time finding out what they are) you can do OK. It ain't fair, people get hurt, people get killed, you see alot of 0300 aimless watches, somebody got a better deal than you, don't event try to do the math on what you are making per hour.... that list is pretty long too. Trust me on this, when you are 50, 4 years... 6 years... 20 years... is a blink of an eye.

94 on theASVAB means that you are in the top 6%, it is not really a "grade" like a test. This should get you into most anything, with the possible exception of Nuclear Power. Starting off at E-3 will put you about a year ahead of the power curve.

My cousin and I both enlisted in 1979- I retired as a CPO (E-7)... he retired as an CDR (O-5), I think he had more fun too... (Remember that better deal thing??)