PDA

View Full Version : Minimum loads for a 30-06 using commercial cast lead Boolits

opos
04-02-2014, 08:29 AM
I know there have been many discussions about mouse phart plinking loads with many cartridges but wanted to focus in on the 30-06 and the powders I have available...I don't cast due to some serious physical considerations so my lead would be pre cast commercial boolits..since I plan to shoot really light loads I'd think non CG boolits would work well at the lower pressures and velocities...I'm just an old guy that likes to plink at 50 to 100 yards..don't hunt and not into "precision" shooting..just love to make a boom and kill some paper..I have serious arthritis so like to shoot the 06 but can't take much recoil for long periods of time..I've slugged the 2 rifles I'd plan to use and they slug just between .309 and .310 as near as I can get it....So interested in thoughts about Boolit manufacturer, weight of boolit, and powder charge ideas....I have the following powders available....IMR 4350, Alliant 2400, Hodgden Varget, Unique, and a bunch of Trail Boss and W231...I shoot a lot of the 12 hardness "cowboy" cast boolits from Missouri but not sure if they have much for an 06 loading... Really don't want to go on a "powder hunt" and again, am not able to cast (specific docs instructions).

Many thanks all...got a couple of nice "old school" Milsurp conversion rifles that shoot the commercial Jword stuff fine and I've loaded some Jwords to a bit less than factory spec and they shoot great...just looking for the sissy loads to enjoy a long day with..

opos

RickinTN
04-02-2014, 08:39 AM
Of the powders you have listed I would start with Unique or Trail Boss. You didn't list a bullet weight, so I'll assume somewhere in the 150 to 175 grain range. I would start with 10 to 12 grains of Unique, or 12 to 14 grains of Trail Boss. I've had pretty good luck with a load of 16 grains 2400 with bullets in the 175 grain range and it is a comfortable load but may be pushing things a little with a plain-based bullet. My bullets are gas-checked. The only way to know is to try it and see.
Good luck,
Rick

Outpost75
04-02-2014, 08:49 AM
You want THROAT size, NOT groove diameter. Use .310 in new commercial barrels, .311 if barrel has been shot alot, or new military, .312-.313" in much worn or visibly eroded. With plainbase bullet and no GC use 8 grs. Unique, 6 grs. of Bullseye, 700-X or Red Dot, or 11-12 grs. of #2400.

RickinTN
04-02-2014, 08:53 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?152431-Recipes-for-quot-Mouse-Fart-quot-Loads-in-30-06

You might find this thread helpful.
Rick

runfiverun
04-02-2014, 09:46 AM
I'd add your 231 in with the 6-8 gr area also.
look for plain base boolits with a flat base you can get them to go 12-1300 fps real easily and have good accuracy with them.

Larry Gibson
04-02-2014, 11:53 AM
You want THROAT size, NOT groove diameter. Use .310 in new commercial barrels, .311 if barrel has been shot alot, or new military, .312-.313" in much worn or visibly eroded. With plainbase bullet and no GC use 8 grs. Unique, 6 grs. of Bullseye, 700-X or Red Dot, or 11-12 grs. of #2400.

+1

Larry Gibson

opos
04-02-2014, 06:36 PM
Many thanks to all that replied and to the folks that sent p/m's about this..lots of help and ideas here...turns out as with many things...the answers are right in the area if we just look...got a man I know in the San Diego area and it turns out he's been loading light loads with both Trail Boss and Unique using commercial cast boolits with a 12 hardness and getting along really well...he's got some of the boolits set aside for me to load and I'm lucky to have plenty of powder to do some experimenting and also to load some of whatever I find that works....being one that has been advised not to attempt casting because of serious lung issues...it seems that what he does...with softer commercial cast works well...Again, many thanks to all that offered help and thoughts....
opos
Bob

Eddie2002
04-02-2014, 07:15 PM
Been shooting a .311 100 grain cast boolit for my 30-06 over 6-7 grains of Bullseye with great results at 50 yds. It's like shooting a .22 on steroids. The bullet is for a .32 caliber pistol and should be advailable from on line vendors. I'm casting my boolits using a Lee mould and WW's. Any fast burning pistol powder will work, just make sure you are shooting under 1500 fps or you will get leading. I've been using a small pinch of cotton to hold the powder charge in the bottom of the case which seems to help the grouping. without the cotton I was getting a 5 inch grouping at 50 yds, with the cotton the grouping was 2-3 inches. If you are going to try a load down around 3 grains (mouse loads) the cotton really makes a difference. Neck tension is really important for the ultralight loads also. Have fun, that's what it is all about.