PDA

View Full Version : HI-HO, hi HO, hi ho It's Back To Work I Go

monadnock#5
04-01-2014, 08:14 PM
Back on Feb 28 I was In the process of filling the wood ring, when in a fit of inspiration, I created a dance move that would have made the famed ballet dancer Nagurski proud. My feet flew out from underneath me BAM!!! At almost the same instant that my back hit the frozen ground, the 30lbs +/- of split wood drove my right elbow into my ribs from the top with a secondary BAM!!! At first I thought I had knocked the wind out. No such luck, busted ribs.

I figure this happened because it was icy, but if a video shows up on youtube showing that I got ambushed from behind by a Bigfoot I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

The good news is that after 4 weeks on disability, starting with 2-1/2 weeks of the most intense pain I have ever known, I went back to work on Mon. No more pain meds, no more cabin fever, no more seeing my life pass before my eyes with every sneeze. Life is good.

bikerbeans
04-01-2014, 08:25 PM
I was playing poker with Bigfoot on Feb 28th so you probably just slipped.:kidding:

Glad you are healed up and back to work

BB

**oneshot**
04-01-2014, 08:26 PM
Congrads!!!!!! I just did a stint with torn muscles in my ribs. Seeing your life flash before your eyes is an understatement. I have high pain tolerance and this took me to my knees.

Glad you feel better.

ph4570
04-01-2014, 08:47 PM
Good for you getting back to work. The Nobammies need us droids to sustain his herds of slackers.

That aside, I am glad to hear you have recovered from the fall.

monadnock#5
04-01-2014, 09:27 PM
Thank you for the well wishes.

I sure don't like that Obahama is counting on me to support his ego trip.

Someday in the the not distant future I'm going to meet again those that went before me. When I do, they won't have to ask, because they'll already know. I kept the faith.

CastingFool
04-01-2014, 09:34 PM
Glad to hear you're up and around.

leeggen
04-01-2014, 11:34 PM
Monad, just remember if you break the same ribs again it will take 12 weeks before they quit hurting, the 3'rd time takes 18 weeks. Just a fact that some should know, I found out the hard way.
Good you are back at the salt mine.
CD

MaryB
04-01-2014, 11:57 PM
I have broken ribs... lower back surgery and rotator cuff surgery are both far more painful...

DHurtig
04-02-2014, 12:29 AM
I feel your pain. Six years ago I had open heart surgery. I remember well the pain when I moved and the two sides would slip or pop.

monadnock#5
04-02-2014, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the heads up leegen. I hadn't heard that before.

MaryB, I've been reading your posts along the way. I don't know why some folks are called upon to suffer more than others. You are a Trooper, and much tougher than I am.

FISH4BUGS
04-02-2014, 05:03 PM
I broke 6 ribs, my shoulder and my collarbone in a motorcycle crash. It hurt to breathe. Coughing? Unbelievable pain. I was never so glad to have pain meds (Demerol) in my life. I actually got to the place where I was looking forward to the med nurse after 4 hours......

dbosman
04-02-2014, 10:58 PM
One more ditto for rib pain. I cracked one or more in a fall.
After that I began to have wonder if Hllywood might be exaggerating the ability of the good guys to get back into action.

MaryB
04-03-2014, 01:42 AM
Want pain? Try sitting on the toilet right after they sawed the backs off 3 vertebrae... that was not pleasant for 4 weeks...

monadnock#5
04-04-2014, 08:38 AM
I broke 6 ribs, my shoulder and my collarbone in a motorcycle crash. It hurt to breathe. Coughing? Unbelievable pain. I was never so glad to have pain meds (Demerol) in my life. I actually got to the place where I was looking forward to the med nurse after 4 hours......

For the ribs I was given a prescription for oxy. It was the same thing given me for the shingles last year. To say that I'm underwhelmed with the efficacy would be a gross understatement. Twenty minutes after taking 2 tablets I'd fall asleep for 4 hours, which was good, but for pain management it didn't do the job. Several times I was sorely tempted to wash them down with an adult beverage, but managed to resist the temptation.

MaryB
04-05-2014, 01:39 AM
Oxycodone or contin? I take both, last is a slow time release version. I agree, for pain relief it isn't the greatest but it does help me zonk out at night and get a little sleep. I am up every 2 hours to walk off pain then back to bed to try for more.

Hawkeye45
04-08-2014, 12:46 AM
Back in '66 I broke a rib when I parachuted into a tree. Being the medic for the team I tried to set it somewhat by myself. You can't do it! It still stickes out a bit even after all these years. Would you believe my first wife would not sleep up next to my left side because it poked her. No pun intended.

Mr. Ed

DLCTEX
04-08-2014, 11:40 PM
I had shingles for six weeks, starting in December. Oxycodone kept me sane, and asleep, for most of it.

singleshotman
04-09-2014, 04:02 PM
Does anyone know of something I can take for a bad knee? Last saterday I heard a "pop" when I got up and now my left knee is giving me fits, I can just barely walk on it and I;m using my wifes walker. If this keeps up I will need to use my wifes scooter to go to the supermarket. Right now I could not walk in from the parking lot. I am 62 and now really feeling my age with a bad hip to boot. Right now I'd hate to wait till I'm 65 to afford medical care. I tried to sign up for Obamacare but they told me since all my income(disability) is tax free they would not pay part of it, said it would cost me $890 dollars a month , so much for the "Affordable Care Act", What a load of +++_+_+.

willvabch
04-09-2014, 04:06 PM
Epson salt bath, advil, that's what I use to keep working.

another gsxr 1k
04-10-2014, 02:12 PM
I know the feeling, I had a nasty motorcycle wreck a few years back and broke all but two ribs on my right side. Broke them about an inch off the spine and along my side when I succeeded in trying to ram my elbow through them. Also took out my shoulder, shattered the shoulder blade and the collar bone. Slept for two months propped up on the couch because I couldn't lie down.
Glad to know you feel better.

MaryB
04-11-2014, 12:02 AM
Yeah shoulder injuries will make you glad to own a recliner to sleep in. Laying down is impossible.

monadnock#5
04-11-2014, 08:25 AM
At about 2-1/2 weeks into it, I could tell that the mending was well under way. One day I turned away from the computer, looked at the bed, and couldn't resist. I laid on my side, rolled a little till it hurt too much, rolled back the other way until it hurt, found "center" and was asleep in two shakes of a lambs tail. This was a very bad idea. Had my wife not been home from work when I awoke, I'm not sure that I could have gotten out of that bed to save my life.

I have no idea what I would have done without a recliner. For the four weeks, it was turned into a valuable medical device.

TXGunNut
04-12-2014, 03:18 PM
If you're taking oxycontin or oxycodone please read up on addiction risks. Most folks don't have a problem but I did, I can't even take a couple without fighting the withdrawal battle all over again. Good thing ibuprofen works so well for me.

mikeym1a
04-12-2014, 03:29 PM
Glad to hear you are on the mend. Been there, didn't like it either. Congrats!!

monadnock#5
04-12-2014, 09:33 PM
Earlier in my life I had a demon or two riding me pretty hard. Marriage, a small child and another on the way forced me to make better choices.

My employer uses random drug tests. The nurse is welcome to anything she wants for samples.

MaryB
04-13-2014, 01:36 AM
With all my injuries addiction is not an issue. The Oxy's are the only thing that let m function, without my pain level spikes into the 11 on a 10 scale range. I do skip does on good days, sometimes get a day pain free but that is rare.