PDA

View Full Version : Lubricating, sizing, and Lee's Hand Press

Naphtali
12-30-2007, 01:38 PM
I am acquiring hand tools to load .480 Ruger cartridges.

1. What sizing die for hard cast bullets will function satisfactorily in a Lee Hand Press?

2. Which sizing die that functions per #1 deforms bullets least during the sizing? How do I assure that the sized bullet -- that is, the die's I.D. -- is correct for my Super Redhawks?

3. Please identify lubricants that can be used during the sizing process via the hand press. If the sizing is minimal or not needed, can lubricant be applied via the sizing operation anyway? Or would some sort of additional step to apply lubricant without using a lube-sizing die be a better solution?

mooman76
12-30-2007, 02:19 PM
First you need to slu the bore of your gun. Bullets usually work best when sized to .001-.002 over grove size.

1. The Lee sizing die works best in the Lee press, that's what it is designed for.

2. The sizing die that deforms the bullet the least is one that is no more than 2-3 thousands bigger than the bullet being sized. You get the size of bullet needed when you slug the bore.

3. There are many lubes that can be used Lee Liquid Alox (LLA), Johnsons past wax(JPW). Lyman has a alox lube. You can also use the other lubes used in Lube presses but you will have to pan lube or make your own lube.

If the sizing is not needed or minimal I wouldn't size. Just use LLA or JPW. Some people use about any lube to size and then lube after because if you use a LLA or JPW type lube before sizing you will have to relube after. Fot the most part I don't size pistol bullets any more. I just lube and shoot as is.