PDA

View Full Version : Starmetal/Deputy AL 30 Luger

StarMetal
09-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Mainly I post these for Deputy Al as he's a real aficionado of the 30 Luger. Al add another unusual powder to the 30 Luger and I guess the 7.62x27 Tokarev, well and 30 Mauser; and that powder is WW 296. Yup, I went and did it Al, I loaded 9.5 grs of 296 with that Lee 100 gr cast and my Lord does it shoot!!! First the velocity was dang near 1300 fps, with no leading. Boy I tell you that 30-06 barrel sure made a fine 30 Luger barrel. I shot five shot into about a 3/4 very ragged and jagged and torn hole. Then I loaded five more I guess because I left my original grasp on the pistol go to reload I must have grasped it differently because the group moved to the left alittle, but still that same tight hole. Imagine what a game getter that would be with the 50/50 WW/LEAD alloy I'm using and not water quenched. I think my go to load is going to be 9.0 grs of 4227 thought, it shoots really good and a tad slower at 1150 fps. This is really a great little round and I now have two pistols that shoot it. With the 296 it has a crack and muzzle blast like the jacketed factory 7.62x25 Tokarev. It burns a tad cleaner then the 4227 too. I may experiment more with it. I would have to say that slight bottleneck on the 30 Luger apparently makes a world of difference in shooting too slow of a powder for the caliber work very well indeed.

Joe

9.3X62AL
09-06-2005, 08:49 PM
OK, Joe......I gotta try this WW-296 bit out. For years, a slightly faster powder (AA-7) has been the "go-to" fuel for the 30 Luger and 30 Mauser. Not a place I would have gone on my own, although the working pressures of the calibers (25K-30K PSI) would get along with the powders pretty well.

Yes, I do like the KA-WHOOM the Czech service loads provided in the CZ-52.