PDA

View Full Version : 45 colt snake shot

mannyCA
03-30-2014, 08:31 PM
Since Midway had 45 colt "snake shot" out of stock and back-ordered indefinitely, not to mention they want over 1.50 for each shot, I decided to load some up the way a buddy of mine showed me. He's gone now but his wisdom lives on. I decided to make a video so others would learn a quick and easy method, using what you would have on hand. No $100 dies needed. :coffeecom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUfcZn7Vcn4

CastingFool
03-30-2014, 09:33 PM
Interesting, may have to try this.

BNE
03-30-2014, 10:00 PM
Thanks for this. Can you use the cardboard on top if you do not have a gas check?

mannyCA
03-30-2014, 10:34 PM
I have, but you want to make a deeper roll crimp or use a bit thicker cardboard over shot card to keep the shot from pushing through.

gmsharps
03-31-2014, 02:06 AM
Don't forget the shotcapsules that I think CCI makes. Just add the shot and load them up

gmsharps

Whiterabbit
03-31-2014, 02:16 AM
shot capsules are nice for cramming as much shot into the case as possible.

Pb2au
03-31-2014, 09:10 AM
For bigger snakes, try this;

No snake can argue with an 8 gauge.

Very cool process, thank you for sharing.

Pilgrim
03-31-2014, 11:45 AM
shot capsules are nice for cramming as much shot into the case as possible.
Shot capsules take up too much space in the case. You need all of the shot you can get in a handgun shot load. I stopped using them a looong time ago. Never have had to whack a snake as we don't have too many rattlers up this way. For a .45 Colt, I used a .410 wad with the petals cut off and a GC as an overshot card. A GC can also be used as the over powder wad to get those last few shot in the case if you feel the .410 wad takes up too much room. Who cares if the shot gets distorted when you fire it off. These are generally a 10' to 15' foot range load anyway. No GC ? You want a fairly thick chunk of paper for the over powder and over shot wads. I've used the backing paper from an 8.5 x 11 pad of paper. Sacrifice one case to use as a wad cutter. Just champfer the h+×* out of it to sharpen the cutting edge.

Bullshop Junior
03-31-2014, 12:30 PM
Ive got a hand full of 460 brass I was gonna mess around with and try to make some 45 shot loads, but load them up like the old ww2 45 ACP loads so they will feed from my lever gun.

Changeling
03-31-2014, 01:02 PM
Thank you for the video, you did an excellent job.

LenH
03-31-2014, 01:34 PM
Very interesting video, excellent job. Never thought about doing that until now. I just need to get one of my shotgun buddies to share a baby food jar of shot.

Pilgrim
03-31-2014, 05:32 PM
#9 shot is just about right. #7 1/2 shot is probably the upper limit practically. Shot sizes larger than these really lowers the pellet count and hits on target. FWIW Pilgrim

Stephen Cohen
03-31-2014, 05:47 PM
I made them in 357 mag 25yrs ago, using that method. 3grs bullseye, 3 primer pack over powder wads, as much shot as I could get in, dribble a little candle wax over shot, put 3 more wads in ,compress well and run through sizer and crimp, I often put a little more wax over wads to seal. These loads were much more devastating at longer range than the CCI shot loads of the time.

DaveSpud
03-31-2014, 06:18 PM
I tried this using a gas check as the powder wad, and another on top. Good results.

firefly1957
03-31-2014, 09:05 PM
Has anyone cut down .410 cases to do this?

geargnasher
03-31-2014, 10:35 PM
Yes, and they will fit a Ruger without turning down the rims. The AA hulls will take a pretty decent roll crimp from a .44 Magnum RCBS die with the RN seater plug installed and threaded down to meet the roll-crimp shoulder. I was better off using my milk jug wad method and regular brass for more powerful loads, tight patterns, and no leading. Mine will break clays from most of the skeet stations using #7-1/2 shot and packs 5/8 ounce of it.

Gear

dudel
04-01-2014, 07:23 AM
Came up with pretty much the same method. If you want to experiment with different shot sizes, but don't want to spend $$$ on 25# of shot, what I did was buy a 25 round box of shotgun shells with the shot size I want. Gauge doesn't matter here, shot size does.

Then open the shells and salvage the shot. Precision Reloading even sells a tool which will cut the shell around the perimeter. Handy if you are taking apart a large number of shells. I just used a side cutter to remove the crimp, then spill the shot into a small container. Pull out the wad and you can salvage/dispose of the powder.

Remember to dispose of the hulls responsibly as they still contain live primers.

Bored1
04-01-2014, 08:40 AM
Watched the video and it is exactly what I've been wanting to try with 45acp. Waiting on some 308 brass to cut down and I will be working on this myself!

You mention a video on the same for 45 acp, but ibcouldnt find it on your YouTube page, got a link for that one?

Trinidad Bill
04-01-2014, 09:33 AM
Great job on both videos. I have been wanting to do this for a while. Now I know how. My wife carries her 38 spl on walks everyday, I think I will try loading some up for her. Just the kind of range and coverage she needs!

Thanks!

ps Also great tip on breaking down some shot shells to get the shot!

mannyCA
04-01-2014, 10:13 AM
I made them in 357 mag 25yrs ago, using that method. 3grs bullseye, 3 primer pack over powder wads, as much shot as I could get in, dribble a little candle wax over shot, put 3 more wads in ,compress well and run through sizer and crimp, I often put a little more wax over wads to seal. These loads were much more devastating at longer range than the CCI shot loads of the time.
Have to try that with the wax, thanks for the kind words everyone.

osteodoc08
04-01-2014, 10:16 AM
Mike Venturino had an article a while back about making snake loads.

What is the allure of snake loads? I guess you can shoot at clays. Perhaps its better than a single boolit. IDK. Just curious as to everyones thoughts.

CBMC
04-01-2014, 10:27 AM
Mike Venturino had an article a while back about making snake loads.

What is the allure of snake loads? I guess you can shoot at clays. Perhaps its better than a single boolit. IDK. Just curious as to everyones thoughts.

One thing would be for small critters like snakes. Though for self defense against human I think I would prefer a regular 250 grain lead or a Keith type bullet.

gmsharps
04-01-2014, 10:27 AM
In Texas we have a fair amount of critters that need snake shot used on them. If you shoot rats or snakes they may be in close proximity to farm equipment or the possibility of a stray round going somewhere it's not supposed to. On the rare chance you have a bad day hitting what you are aiming at the shot shell gives a bit of leeway.

gmsharps

osteodoc08
04-01-2014, 10:42 AM
In Texas we have a fair amount of critters that need snake shot used on them. If you shoot rats or snakes they may be in close proximity to farm equipment or the possibility of a stray round going somewhere it's not supposed to. On the rare chance you have a bad day hitting what you are aiming at the shot shell gives a bit of leeway.

gmsharps

OK, I can see that. There are only a few poisonous snakes where I live and for the most part, arent that big. I can usually shoo them away with a stick if in the woods, but around my home they get chopped up or shot. I typically use a shovel. I do not want them around my kids. Non poisonous snakes are typically caught for show and tell with the kids and released back in the woods where I'll carry them back there in an old sack and let them go. I aint in to killing to kill. Snakes are an important part of the ecosystem and I have a few corn snakes and rat snakes that keep the mice popualtion down around the shed and house.

Trinidad Bill
04-01-2014, 12:00 PM
There are a lot of prairie rattlers here along with coyotes that like to try for the dogs. A little noise and shot is a great deterrent.
Makes a great grouse load while on horse back. Just make sure your horse, and you, can handle it. I usually get off the horse!

mannyCA
04-02-2014, 09:02 AM
They're just plain fun to shoot. They knock tin cans pretty good.

geargnasher
04-02-2014, 01:36 PM
Also, in many parts of Texas, as in many parts of the world, we have ROCKS. In some parts, nothing BUT rocks. Snakeshot reduces the deadly ricochet factor of a solid projectile and other collateral damage, and you're almost always needing to shoot at or around some part of a house, building, equipment, or in a building with stuff you don't want to hurt too badly. #12 rat shot is best for not hurting stuff. Oh, and WEAR EYE PROTECTION, those little bbs ricochet something fierce and can penetrate skin easily.

Gear

sundog
04-02-2014, 03:10 PM
I like this article by Junior:

http://www.castbullet.com/reload/44shot.htm

Harter66
04-02-2014, 10:28 PM
I've cut a few 410s down to RBH cyl length and crimped them conventionaly.

I've also used a 22-250/308 case shouldered w/a 40 s&w to go to a full cyl length. a 410 wad base worked best w/these.

8s and 9s were plenty for perferating up to 3/8 plywood to 50ft, I imagin 4s and 5s would be pretty hard on larger targets as well .