PDA

View Full Version : Sittin here waiting for the alloy to melt

hickfu
03-30-2014, 02:28 PM
Doubled up on the pain meds today so I could give casting a try..... Just waiting for the pot to melt. Doing 35-200FP PB and some 430gr 45-70 pills.. Gonna see how many I can put out before I have to lay down and drug myself more... :lol:

Doc

osteodoc08
03-30-2014, 02:58 PM
Sorry you're hurting. Pain reminds us were still living

Marlin Junky
03-30-2014, 03:54 PM
Doubled up on the pain meds today so I could give casting a try..... Just waiting for the pot to melt. Doing 35-200FP PB and some 430gr 45-70 pills.. Gonna see how many I can put out before I have to lay down and drug myself more... :lol:

Doc

Got a fire extinguisher and a phone to call 911 handy?

MJ

fastfire
03-30-2014, 03:57 PM
Pain ain't fun. I have fibermilagia MISSPELLED in legs and last few months has started in the hands and arms, neuropathy in my feet. Take pain meds 3 times daily. Few days ago went to bed noticed hurting all over(forgot to take pills) couldn't get to sleep so had to get up and take my pain pills to sleep. NOT AT ALL FUN!

DLCTEX
03-30-2014, 04:54 PM
I have been having problems with my back and standing at the bench was a killer. A friend gave me a bar stool that is just the right height to sit at the bench and cast or reload, it really helps. Fashioning a mould guide/rest under the bottom pour helps remove some strain also.

Walter Laich
03-30-2014, 05:11 PM
Hope you got a bunch done and didn't have too much pain. Sounds like you've had this for awhile.

Get better soon

Mal Paso
03-30-2014, 08:39 PM
Doc..... Hey Doc.............

The Meds must have worked. :lol:

hickfu
03-30-2014, 10:03 PM
Pain ain't fun. I have fibermilagia MISSPELLED in legs and last few months has started in the hands and arms, neuropathy in my feet. Take pain meds 3 times daily. Few days ago went to bed noticed hurting all over(forgot to take pills) couldn't get to sleep so had to get up and take my pain pills to sleep. NOT AT ALL FUN!

Well Im done for the day!!! and OH MY GOD DO I HURT!!!
I cast about 800 of the 35-200fn PB, 500 of my 430gr 45-70's and some 405grPB for the 45-70 that I am trying PB gas checks on...We'll see how that goes!

Fastfire, I have had excruciating pain in my legs since I was 14 years old and the DR's said "its a problem with your veins, we'll strip them out of your legs" After 2 surgeries on both legs the pain is still there and now I have very bad circulation.... I also have 10 bulging disk in my back from working construction and a few auto accidents.... Now about 3 years ago I started to hurt all over and all my joints are stiff.... Now I have Fibromyalgia pretty bad (they say its caused by chronic pain over decades) well they got that right!! I take my Norco's 6 times a day... I cant sleep with the pain so I have to take it through the night as well to sleep 1/2 hour to an hour at a time...

But hey! I worked 30 some odd years, raised my kids and got them out of the house before it got so bad I couldn't stand it... Now Im battling with SSDI.... Thats real fun....NOT

Well I just took my meds and Im gonna go eat something and lay down...

Have a good night everyone!

Doc

Walter Laich
03-30-2014, 10:58 PM
I'll say a prayer for you tonight when I hit the hay

ghh3rd
03-30-2014, 11:48 PM
Glad you managed to sling 50 lbs of lead - now you won't have to worry about casting for little while. Feel better...

Magana559
03-31-2014, 12:11 AM
I know how you feel as I have a l4-s1fusion with 3 surgeries before that
and now take 15mg of oxycodone twice a day.

I always find it a bit less painfull to cast when I have a
Chairr that is the right height with arms.

fastfire
03-31-2014, 12:21 AM
Doc, I have been taking an over the counter called Benfotiamine. The brand is Doctor's Best, I started taking 1 150mg caps 3 times a day 12 years ago. It took 2 months before I noticed the numbness in my feet was not getting any worse. Now I take 2 300mg caps 3 times a day.
It really slowed the worsening affects.
I stopped one time to see what difference it would do, within 2 weeks I could feel the numbness getting worse and resumed taking the Benfotiamine.

MaryB
03-31-2014, 02:17 AM
Doc I sure know how you feel, 2 shoulder surgeries on the right for torn rotator cuff, right knee for torn cartilage and bone chips, left hip for a bone spur and a nerve sheath tumor that started the neuropathy in my left leg, lumber decompression for spurs and bulging discs, right wrist carpal tunnel. Never fixed the left should rotator cuff or the left carpal tunnel. Now the doc wants to do a 4 level lumbar fusion because all the discs are blown, and I am waiting for a date on getting a 3 level cervical fusion. Have fibromyalgia on top of it too. Take 3 Oxycontin a day and up to 6 percocet. Lyrica does help with the nerve pain and tingling to an extent. If you suffer any restless lef like I do ask for carbedopa/levidopa the stuff works wonders.

I overdid today also, moved 5 bags of pellets in for the pellet stove, put the snow blower into storage and moved the BBQ pit to the front of the shed so I can use it again. Also pulled the picnic table up onto the deck now that the snow is gone. Hurting unit! I was going to smelt down a 30 pound lump of ballast weight from a server cabinet too but ran out of steam.

hickfu
03-31-2014, 11:20 AM
Walter... Thank you!
Fastfire, I will look into that... I have noticed a bit of numbness and tingling in my feet but thought I was sitting wrong and that was the cause..

Today I woke up (after a very bad night!) in ridiculous pain... Today I need to pan lube, normally I would not even try this but a buddy of mine who lives hours away wants some boolits when I come up that way so I need to get it done..

Its sad to say but its nice to know that there are others out there with the kind of pain I have (not that I wish pain on any of you guys or gals out there...) but I have been going through this for so long it gets to a point that it seems (in my head) to just be me... Dr's are morons, and wont write everything wrong with me down..They just try to focus on 1 thing and its the reason Im having to battle with SSDI because none of the Dr's I have had wrote most of this stuff down..GGGRRR

Oh well, Have a great day everyone... And cast some boolits!

Doc

Changeling
03-31-2014, 02:06 PM
Hello to Doc and everyone else. I know of something that might help!

In 2008 I was rear ended in my truck and received major damage to my spine. The pains were so bad I was passing out (I live alone) for a whole day or night, can't even remember. I had the best doctor in the world and she was trying everything under the sun but nothing was working.
I used to take percoset like candy but soon became alergic to it, had to totally stop. switched to vicoden but could only take 2 a day or the allergy would tear me up again. So basically NO pain pills.

One day my doctor called me and told me to get down to the pharmacy they had some new medacine for me and she wanted me to start taking it. It's called " Cymbalta". The company that make it developed it for people with bad nerves but they found for some reason it was stopping the pain in patients with nerve/spine damage. It said right on there web site that they did not know why id was working for pain!
Bad news is you don't know how long you have to take it before it starts to work (or if it is going to work), for me if I remember correctl it was about 6 weeks I remember distinctly sitting in her office and saying what's the use, it's not going to work (around 4 weeks I think). She wouldn't let me quit.

Anyway I kept taking it and after 6 weeks are so the pains started slacking off fairly fast. In about another week the bulk of the pains were gone!
Guys you have to tell your doctor about it.
Doctors are like any other group of people, there are really good one and really bad ones. Insist on getting it for at least 2 months!

I certainly hope it works for all of you.

hickfu
03-31-2014, 08:05 PM
Cymbalta was one of the first meds the Dr tried me on.. Cant take it as it makes me vomit profusely!!! im on Lyrica now as its the only FDA approved drug for Fibromyalgia. I have tried almost everything under the sun to rid myself of this pain and some meds worked for a short time and then stopped, others did nothing or I had a bad reaction to them. Hell, I have even thought to sever my own spine when the pain gets bad enough... but I like to be able to move around and hold my grandbaby so thats a no go..

Hope you are all doing well today!

Doc

Leadmelter
03-31-2014, 08:16 PM
I work in the Medical field as a MRI technologist and it seems most doctors don't understand pain. They either want to operate or give you a years worth of synthetic opium.
I have my own issues which limit me: 2 level fusion in my cervical spine, COPD, and funky lumbar back (2 Aleve in the morning).
If I have projects to do, I know when enough is enough.
With casting it is about 2-3 hrs with the hot pot. I have a fan pushing air away from my face. I use a hot plate to preheat the molds after I clean them three times and heat them twice before I use them.
Good luck to all who suffer but keep looking for a doc how understands your personal needs for a quality life.
Leadmelter
MI

Crash_Corrigan
03-31-2014, 08:54 PM
I have had stenosis n my neck for about 30 years along with the condition comes pain. I have been taking pain meds very 4 hours for over 20 years to help alleviate the pain. Then I tore up my right rotator cuff. Add that to the mix. Then I had a motorcycle accident and I broke my right fibula. That did not heal well and I had a titanium rod implanted in my right ankle. That helped and the bone healed but that region is now also bothering me. So between the neck and the stenosis, the arthritis that developed in the right shoulder and the painful right ankle I am not about to win any foot races.

Then add to that hypertension and bad chlorosterol levels that I enjoy I take a lot of medications pretty much all day long. On top of this we also enjoy COPD and asthma to fill out my dance card.

Sometimes it is hard to summon the energy to get up and do anything. So I force myself to learn how to play my guitar, mess with online gaming (World of Tanks), spoil my critters, raises roses, keep my trailer picked up and reasonably clean (I would fail a Martha Stewart inspection), ride my motorcycle, reload ammo, cast booolits, maintain my gun collection and oversee my modest investments in the stock market. Somewhere in there also I need to shop for necessities and cook and keep the kitchen non toxic.... I keep busy but I sleep a lot. Just to go out and run errands with the car for an hour or two wipes me out for rest of the day.

I usually spend Sundays with my ex wife. We are better friends now than we when we were married. If either of us gets their dander up I leave and go back to my tiny tin trailer and fire up the computer and kill something in an online game. However since we both have this option we seldom disagree nor do we attack each other anymore. It's nice. We back each other up and as we have no family hereabouts we depend on each other. I provide more support to her than was proscribed in the divorce decree and we enjoy each others company.

I will say that it is a chore to keep up with meds and I implore you to keep good records of your doses. I mean a written record. I keep a lined notebook in my bathroom and whenever I take any med I jot it down as my memory can no longer be relied upon. I make lists constantly and I never venture out of the house without a written list of where I am going and what I am supposed to do. It only takes a few seconds and it makes life a lot simpler. I like simple.

Boolseye
03-31-2014, 09:13 PM
My thoughts are with you–I have had some bouts with chronic pancreatitus and it is no joke. Thank God it has departed, at least for now. Chronic pain is not talked about enough, and lots of people are suffering. Thank you for sharing, God bless, and happy casting. You are a credit to your craft.
-BE

Changeling
04-01-2014, 01:54 PM
Well OBOMINATION care will take care of us all, Yea Right!!!