PDA

View Full Version : Should I wait to Size?

JBL
12-29-2007, 09:50 PM
I shoot about 5K of 45’s a year but I like to cast in the winter. I know that Boolits change hardness with age, mostly in the first few weeks (I think). I’m using Lyman orange magic for my lube. I’m shooting Bullseye competition and am currently an Expert and hope to make Master class this summer so accuracy is everything.

Now the question: Should I
A; Size and lube all of them soon after I cast them or
B; Should I wait a few weeks and then size and lube them all or
C; Size and lube them as I need them though the year?

What say ye?

Ricochet
12-29-2007, 09:54 PM
I've got a lot sized and lubed that have been sitting around for over a year. I've got a bunch sized that I lube in small batches as I'm ready to load them. That's my more recent plan, so I can try different lubes.

felix
12-29-2007, 10:14 PM
C; Size and lube them as I need them though the year? Yes, one month in advance of loading. You can load and shoot immediately. ... felix

Shiloh
12-30-2007, 12:27 AM
I shoot the .45ACP at around 800 fps. and get very good accuracy at 50' bullseye ranges.
Like you, I prefer to cast in winter or early spring and produce a good supply for the year if possible.

Does hardness really come into play at this velocity?? I lube and size a lot in winter, but not all I need for the year. I do the same with rifle boolits, run at up to 1850 fps. How much does the hardness deteriorate in sizing/lubing several months or more after casting??

Shiloh

Char-Gar
12-30-2007, 08:53 AM
I say you are making an issue out of nothing. Do whatever you want to do as you will never see any difference on the target which ever way you go. The target is all that matters and all of this knat straining theory counts for naught.

randyrat
12-30-2007, 09:04 AM
I don't have a concrete answer for you.. Do everything consistant. I myself tend to cast a bunch and size them within a day or two and i have consistant boolits.. Consistance in alloy, temp you cast, casting speed, just don't cast more than you can size in 2 days, cast with a thermometer. example ie.... If you have ten different stashes of lead pull some out of each for a casting session, this will keep things consistant from one batch to the next(providing they are all good and not contaminated)...... After casting a few weigh them are they the same weight as the last batch if they are chances they are of the same alloy.... Too light? add a little pure lead... Too heavy? add a little tin...... Or adjust your temp(mold temp may have more to do with size than alloy temp) it may have changed from the last casting session or the last hundred boolits(interrupted)... Now after all is consistant keep testing you boolits weekly, test them for accuracy, i doubt they will change ..... More info than you need? I'm sure it will help someone.

44man
12-30-2007, 09:38 AM
I cast when I feel like it and get bored real fast. That means smaller amounts of boolits each session. Sometimes I cast and lube what I want to shoot that day so they are loaded right away.
I have boolits mixed in boxes from different times, some lubed, some not. If I need more lubed I do it then and they are mixed with boolits that have sat lubed for a long time.
I have never proved any difference and all go into the same group.
An alloy change might shift a group as will a boolit weight change or style but I'll be darned if I can find any difference as to when I load, size, lube or shoot each boolit. I have rounds that have been loaded for years that shoot the same as new ones just cast and loaded.
I only mark and keep different alloys separate.
Nobody can make me sweat the small stuff! :mrgreen: I am old and lazy!

JBL
12-31-2007, 03:50 PM
Thanks to everyone that replied. Looks like it doesn’t make much of difference, so one less thing to worry about.

JBL