PDA

View Full Version : Moderator's day shooting

cbrick
03-29-2014, 11:04 PM
I spent all day in Clarksville, AR at the annual CSA shoot, a better time just can't be had. I would guess about 75-100 people were there and a lot of lead went down range. After the days shooting they had a banquet at the State College Campus and a banquet it was, took the wrinkles right out of my shirt. Also attending was CastBoolits very own Moderator Tim affectionately known as Goodsteel.

I loaned Tim a few guns, gave him a few pointers, even showed him how to shoot Creedmore with a 308 XP and FA revolver, all with cast of course. He shot my Ruger BH 30 Carbine, FA 357, Ruger Bisley 45 Colt, and Rem 700 in 7-08. He took instructions well and shot quite well, he was routinely hitting 40 and 65 yard steel plates in strings of shots. I figure Tim must have had a great time because often the shooting would be interrupted while we waited for Tim to . . . . . stop giggling.

Yes it's true . . . Mr. Goodsteel will hereinafter be affectionately known as the "Giggling Moderator".

As for me, I ruined a 25-30 year record. Several years ago I bought a Rem 700 in 7-08 from a friend that had gotten to old to really shoot much. I hadn't done much with it, put a few cast rounds through it is all. With this rifle came two 100 round boxes of loaded brass, loaded with full length gas checks. Embarrassing to even have them in my loading room so I thought today would be a good chance to take them ugly things and bury them in a birm. Yep, a 25-30 year record gone, today I shot condoms. I hope I can sleep tonight.

Rick

btroj
03-29-2014, 11:12 PM
Jacketed? Ewwwwwww

I hope he stops giggling before he beds my rifle.

Sounds like a great time Rick and Tim. Almost as good as my evening at the range with my wife.

btroj
03-29-2014, 11:25 PM
Thinking on this more I am glad to hear that Tim got out and did some shooting. All work and no play isn't healthy.

I wish I got hands on coaching from a good handgun shooter.

MBTcustom
03-30-2014, 12:02 AM
Creedmoore freakin rocks.
I was consistently tagging a target the size of a paper plate at almost 100 yards one handed with iron sights. OK yeah, I was shaking my head, and laughing in disbelief at what I was doing.
What an experience!
My respect for handgun shooting went up 10 fold today.
Rick was extremely helpful teaching me some of the techniques of precision handgun shooting.
It was a perfect day at the range.

Sweetpea
03-30-2014, 12:06 AM
Thinking on this more I am glad to hear that Tim got out and did some shooting. All work and no play isn't healthy.

I wish I got hands on coaching from a good handgun shooter.

Yeah, a good coach would be a lot better than that target that Dick has...

WILCO
03-30-2014, 12:15 AM
Way to go Tim!!!!

Thanks for sharing this Rick. I like when good things happen.

MBTcustom
03-30-2014, 12:17 AM
Rick did pretty darn well himself, when he wasn't being distracted by the hottie with the 10-22.....
LOL!

swheeler
03-30-2014, 12:35 AM
Sounds like a good time. I do believe it is Creedmoor though

jmort
03-30-2014, 01:10 AM
cbrick has the bonafides/gravitas for long range handgun. Nice to have him teaching proper technique. What a great way to spend the day.

Bzcraig
03-30-2014, 02:31 AM
How about "Giggles" for short? Sounds like a day to be envious of, glad you boys enjoyed it!

MBTcustom
03-30-2014, 08:30 AM
Man oh man, what a fun day! I wish I could have gone to all three days of the shoot, but I can't break away that long.
I saw some things that changed or reinforced my perception of handgun shooting.
First of all, I got a real education on grips and how they can effect your ability to let the gun do what it was made to do.
For instance, I got to shoot a FA 357 with full tilt loads that was an absolute tack driver no matter how you hold hold it. It just wants to go where you tell it.
In contrast, I also got to shoot a Ruger BH with really pretty horn grips..........in .475 Linebaugh. Every shot was just "out there somewheres" and dam near tore my trigger finger off with each shot! LOL!

I also got a real educational, side by side comparison of sights on similar handguns. I mean, I've always been partial to target sights, but I wasn't any sort of snob about it or anything. Just shrug and shoot the blessed thing.
Well, I've been struggling to get my 44 mag pistol shooting for a while now. Not that the janky blade and slot sights in my gun are totally to blame, but they are definitely a factor!

This was the first time I've been shooting where the pistols were the star of the show. Usually it's something to do while my rifle barrels cool off LOL!
Rick certainly is a top level handgun shooter, evidenced by the fact that shooting with him was just the opposite.

I had the chance to shoot with a true expert, and I'm glad I didn't pass up the opportunity. The only downside is that it's really hard to look cool shooting next to a guy like Rick LOL!
Perfect firearms, perfect boolits, perfect loads, perfect form, and it was all put together years ago.
Shooting with a man like Rick brings you up a notch right off the bat, and raises the bar higher in your mind.
I had an absolute blast!

cbrick
03-30-2014, 08:30 AM
Rick did pretty darn well himself, when he wasn't being distracted by the hottie with the 10-22..... LOL!

Yes Giggles I gotta admit, I do enjoy watching a lady shooter with good . . . form.

Rick

btroj
03-30-2014, 08:34 AM
At Rick's age almost anything could be a hottie.........

Yes, it is difficult to focus on the targets or sights when the ability the "sight see" exists.

Interesting that it didn't seem to distract Tim, Mrs Goodsteel must have him trained well.

On the other hand it would seem that Rick was focused on things that jiggled..

Yep, range day with Giggles and Jiggles.

cbrick
03-30-2014, 09:10 AM
Interesting that it didn't seem to distract Tim, Mrs Goodsteel must have him trained well.

He was so fascinated with consistently hitting the target with a 308 in a handgun shooting one handed I don't think he knew anyone else was there. Sights that actually have a defined aim point and are repeatable had him scratching his head while giggling. Grips that allow you to shoot full bore magnums comfortably & all day got lot's of giggles.

Yep, yesterday our giggling moderator shot cast boolit handguns that are more accurate than most off the shelf hunting rifles and he learned that handguns are real guns too. He took a big step forward in dispelling that old wives tale that handguns are close up defensive guns. What a silly old wives tale that is.

Rick

cbrick
03-30-2014, 09:37 AM
The only downside is that it's really hard to look cool shooting next to a guy like Rick LOL!

Silly moderator! It wasn't because of shooting next to me, it was all that giggling. :mrgreen:

Rick

MBTcustom
03-30-2014, 09:50 AM

Silly moderator! It wasn't because of shooting next to me, it was all that giggling. :mrgreen:

Rick

Of course, shooting with Rick does have it's..........downsides.:roll:
LOL!

cbrick
03-30-2014, 09:55 AM
Well, it really was a great way to spend the day. I'll no doubt plan on attending again next year. It was a true pleasure to spend the day shooting with someone so interested, so much truly enjoying himself.

Rick

btroj
03-30-2014, 10:09 AM
And that is what counts

w5pv
03-30-2014, 10:15 AM
Sounds like all of you had a good time,thanks for the post.

Doc Highwall
03-30-2014, 10:52 AM
I am surprised you did not post pictures. Glad you had a great time.

MBTcustom
03-30-2014, 02:16 PM
You know, I was taking pictures of the drive there, and coming down the valley to the blastin hole, but once I got down there, I was so overwhelmed by everything I totally forgot the camera!
I'm sorry, once I get that sweet taste of gunsmoke in the back of my throat, and hear automatic gunfire, it's all out the window. LOL!

I took my two new Argentines that were given the 30-06 reamer by some undiscerning gunsmith, and some 311466s that I had sized .313. That did a nice job of leading the barrels stem to stern. LOL!

Also, I had the Arisaka in 308 Palma that I have posted pictures of here in the past, along with some duplex loads and the 30 SIL sized .310 and lubed with LARS 2500 and 2700blue.
That worked like a charm, and the barrel was slick as a whistle when I got home.

Took the 45-70, but I had loaded up with Sellier and Bellot primers that I had gotten cheap from wideners. My guide gun didn't care for those much, and most of them needed to be hit twice in order to fire. Very strange.
Oh well, back to Federal I guess. I'll save the S&B's for the bolt guns that stab the primers harder.

What I really had fun with was my IAI Hardballer 6" 1911. It's been sitting in pieces for 2 years waiting for me to do a trigger job on it. I worked it over with the stones Friday night and set the trigger to a reasonable 3lb 9oz.
I ran about 100 rounds through it, and it never missed a lick, just like old times (I really love that gun!)

cbrick
03-30-2014, 03:34 PM
I've had some fun here at Tim's expense but dang how can ya resist when somebodies having that much fun?

Truth is shooting revolver off-hand Tim outshot me, he really did well at each distance. He listened & paid attention and shot rather impressively, well except for that 475. I didn't shoot that but it sure did look tough & it sure didn't look like fun. I gotta figure something is amiss when the shooter goes cross-eyed after each shot. :shock:

I had my camera with me also but once we got there with all those guns and too much ammo I just never even thought about the camera. Simply too many triggers needing jerked on.

Rick

MBTcustom
03-30-2014, 08:53 PM
You are too kind Rick. I've had "on" days, and that wasn't one of them! LOL!
However, I had an absolute blast and that's what counts.

I was surprised to meet quite a few hombres out there who cast lead boolits and turn up their nose to FL GC's just like we do.
I wish I was richer and had property. I'd put on an annual castboolits shoot right here in Arkansas, and we'd have ourselves a time. Maybe I'll get there someday.
For now, I do believe I will go back next year. The fellers were solid, and the banquet was delicious. They even auctioned off a couple of covetous molds I wouldn't mind having (one 500 caliber MP and a 44 semi wadcutter that was donated by Glen Fryxell.)
There were shooters from all over the US attending, and it was quite a fun time. I can assure you throughout the entire day, I met many more people to listen to than people to talk to.
It was an honor start to finish.

DCM
03-30-2014, 09:47 PM
I can assure you throughout the entire day, I met many more people to listen to than people to talk to.
It was an honor start to finish.

Words from the wise right there.

cbrick
03-30-2014, 10:05 PM
The Fryxell mold was an NEI from back in the day Walt was putting his heart & soul into his molds. A 421 no less, sweet! The MP mold was brand new, I bid on it but dang I didn't know there was going to be an auction and didn't bring much cash with me and the price quickly went past what I had with me. :( Next year I'll know better.

Yep, lot's of good solid folks from all over, I talked with a couple from MN, another from TX. Lot's of my kind of people, there were revolvers galore. Gotta love that. :mrgreen:

Rick

freebullet
03-30-2014, 10:57 PM
Sounds like you gents had a great time. Senior Giggle Mod you know you had a good time when you earn a new nickname along the way.

MBTcustom
03-30-2014, 11:04 PM
I get no respect. None!

btroj
03-30-2014, 11:05 PM
Oh? Little digs about pharmacist daughters?

I did laugh at that, I giggled like a mod......

MBTcustom
03-30-2014, 11:11 PM
Oh? Little digs about pharmacist daughters?

I did laugh at that, I giggled like a mod......

That was merely a coincidental reference, I assure you! LOL!

btroj
03-30-2014, 11:11 PM
Right.....

MBTcustom
03-30-2014, 11:13 PM
See now how come whenever Obummer says something like that, half America buys it hook line and sinker? Guess I need to work on my democratic diplomacy eh?

btroj
03-30-2014, 11:14 PM
http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p733/Btroj/image_zps9bcbcfd8.jpg (http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/Btroj/media/image_zps9bcbcfd8.jpg.html)

Tim, you do understand that a Rick said giggly, not Gigli. He did NOT imply that you look like Ben Afflect.

btroj
03-30-2014, 11:15 PM
See now how come whenever Obummer says something like that, half America buys it hook line and sinker? Guess I need to work on my democratic diplomacy eh?

We are smarter than that half of America. Well, most of us are.

MBTcustom
03-30-2014, 11:21 PM
Indeed you are, and certainly more humorous.

btroj
03-30-2014, 11:23 PM
That is debatable at times. My humor is like scotch or sharp cheddar cheese, it is an acquired taste.

MBTcustom
03-30-2014, 11:32 PM
I was thinking more about a Stilton blue. Take it how you want......
LOL!

cbrick
03-31-2014, 08:08 AM
Is Giggles gonna handgun hunt next deer season? Seems I remember him wanting to last year and now he has all this new found respect for the revolver so . . . Just wonderin. :mrgreen:

Rick

GaryN
03-31-2014, 12:33 PM
Rick, Did you tell him about the shield for his leg when shooting Creedmoor or did you let him learn the hard way?

cbrick
03-31-2014, 12:44 PM
Rick, Did you tell him about the shield for his leg when shooting Creedmoor or did you let him learn the hard way?

Now that would be plain cruel. Hhmmm . . . Might have been fun though huh? :mrgreen: Naw, I couldn't do that.

Rick

cbrick
03-31-2014, 03:01 PM
I was just sitting here thinking what all Tim learned this past weekend.

He left the chicken at home and learned that it was a good thing he did, the chicken just didn't need choking and ya just can't choke that chicken anyway. :mrgreen:

He learned what huge difference the right chicken (grips) make when shooting a single action magnum revolver.

He was fascinated with adjustable width blade hooded front sights on a revolver. He was quite interested in the quality & repeatability of clicks on a 19 click rear Bo-Mar sight and what a difference sights that pick out a defined aim point makes.

He learned about putting the shot where you want it with the combination of the correct grip, a defined sight picture and a 6 ounce trigger. He learned that with a true quality match trigger and your concentration 100% on sight picture & grip that the sears break and the shot goes exactly when you want it to, no waiting for more pull on the trigger, zero creep and zero over travel, he learned no sudden movement of the trigger & just soft even pressure. He learned to keep his finger off the trigger until the sight picture is perfect.

I learned that Tim is a very good student. He worked hard at putting into practice the instructions he was given and his shooting proved he is actually a very good handgun shooter with excellent potential to be even better.

Rick