PDA

View Full Version : Receiver sight info. I need your help!

eka
12-29-2007, 08:16 PM
My old 94 Winchester had been drilled and tapped for a receiver sight before I got it. Wish they hadn't done that, but they did. Since the deed has already been done, I would like to put one back on it. The only thing is, I don't know which one these holes are drilled to work with. The only ones I've had any dealings with are the Lymans and I know they have both holes beside each other. In the pictures you can see the outline where the old sight was for probably a long time. If I could, I would prefer to get a sight that would work with the existing holes without putting any new holes in this grand old gal. So, you levergun experts point me in the direction of the receiver sight that would match up to these holes.

Incidently, don't ask me what that ugly hole is because I don't know, other than to say it's ugly. Bubba must have missed the first try, I guess. :mrgreen:

Thanks for any help,

Keith

scb
12-29-2007, 08:56 PM
Most time when I've seen a hack job like this some "master gunsmith" has been trying to put on something that was made for something else. I've just gone thru "Old Gunsights, A Collectors Guide, 1850-1965" and didn't see anything that would fit, with perhaps the exception of a Pacific L1 but I don't think so. My guess is that it was something on the order of the old pre WW1 Lyman sights.

Nueces
12-29-2007, 11:10 PM
The outline reminds me of a Pacific sight base, too. I do believe that buggered hole to be right where you'd need a good one to mount a Lyman or Williams sight, although the hole spacing appears to be a little too close for these. Bet the 'smith' just moved up and drilled that third non-OEM hole to get the old sight mounted. If so, no original sight will fit the two decent holes.

You might be able to open up and thread the bad hole to accept a soft threaded plug, which could then be peened and drilled to accept your Lyman.

Is there a good smith nearby?

Happy New Year, Mark

eka
12-29-2007, 11:28 PM
I have a guy close that I can go to for advice. Could a smith weld up the holes and then smooth it up and start over being it is going to be under the new sight anyway? Just a thought. And thanks for lending me your thoughts on this guys.

Keith

John F.
12-30-2007, 12:04 AM
"I have a guy close that I can go to for advice. Could a smith weld up the holes and then smooth it up and start over being it is going to be under the new sight anyway? Just a thought. And thanks for lending me your thoughts on this guys."

Doing that would require polishing/refinishing the receiver, so you'd lose any originality of finish/condition you had, and it wouldn't look correct when it was done unless he used a restoration-quality, period correct finish. I have see older, steel Redfield hunting receiver sights that have two holes spaced vertically. It might have been drilled for one of them (and they're not extremely hard to come by), or possibly it was drilled for something not intended for 94's, as mentioned above. If you care to post your SN range, I can tell you if the rifle was factory drilled/tapped for standard sights -- if not, then all 3 holes are non-original.

My preference, if it were mine, would be to install a sight over the holes, then you'll never see them and the rest of the gun remains unaltered. That could be an older Lyman or Redfield receiver sight, or you could consider other options. One thing to bear in mind is how they will fit, relative to your Saddle Ring.

Hope you can get it fixed to your satisfaction!
John

eka
12-30-2007, 01:06 AM
My preference, if it were mine, would be to install a sight over the holes, then you'll never see them and the rest of the gun remains unaltered. That could be an older Lyman or Redfield receiver sight, or you could consider other options. One thing to bear in mind is how they will fit, relative to your Saddle Ring. John

John, the rifle was made in 1924. My preference is the same as yours. If I can't find a sight to mount up using the existing holes. Then it is my hope that a new sight can be mounted in such a way as to cover up this mess. I prefer to do nothing to alter the finish or condition at all. I wouldn't even be considering mounting a sight such as this on this rifle if someone hadn't already took the liberty of altering it. This rifle has already suffered the indignity of one botched job, so I'm going to see to it that whatever needs to be done is done right this time. Thanks for you helpful thoughts. :)

Keith

John F.
12-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Hi, Keith,
I checked, and factory drilling/tapping for receiver sights didn't start until ~ SN 1,900,000, so I don't think any of your holes are factory. For sure, the modern Lyman aluminum sights are not correct for this gun. That rifle pre-dates the Lyman 66 by quite a bit. It also predates the Lyman 56, which was available by 1935, but that might be a nice, classy (if expensive) receiver sight which wouldn't look too far out of step with when the rifle was made. From looking through the vintage Lyman offerings, a 56 would probably be your best bet for a receiver sight -- at least, from Lyman. Redfield would have had some old sights also that would be correct, and there may be some lesser-known brands that might be acceptable if you can find them.

John

Char-Gar
01-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Those hole are too low to fit one of the more available receiver sights (Lyman, William and Redfield). You will play hob trying to find a sight that fits those holes. If you want to fit one of those you can find, you will have to put some more hole in the receiver.

If it were mine, I would plug the holes and forget it. I am not much for welding on a rifle receiver . I know it can be done, but it require some knowledge beyond most local welders.
You can plug the holes with those little screws or use a longer annealed screw and dress it down to the metal. The latter will mean some touch up with cold blue..

EDK
01-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Black Powder Cartridge News,Winter 2007, page 13, has an add for a reproduction model 21 sight.

www.peabodyrifles.com

They show in on a model 1895 in the ad. "fits most lever actions."

:Fire:

FromTheWoods
01-06-2008, 04:00 AM
I talked on the telephone earlier this week with Ken Bean in York, PA about sights for my rifles--(717)755-9070.

He seems to be quite knowledgeable regarding older Winchesters and their proper sights. Perhaps you could give him a call and then email him the photo. He might know the sight you seek, and he might have one in stock--he sells sights.

eka
01-06-2008, 05:07 PM
I'll give Ken a call, worth a shot.

Thanks,

Keith