PDA

View Full Version : You never know...

Scrounger
12-29-2007, 07:22 PM
There's 4 or 5 gun shops in town here but they are all small. The one I go to every week is very small, They sell only whatever used guns people sell them or put in there on consignment, plus a few mil-surps and some ammo. They get some really nice used guns. And they receive whatever I buy or order from the Internet for $20. I go there every week to see what they might have gotten in and to talk to the owners, they are great people. The other shops, I've been in 2 of them once and one of them twice, counting today. In 4 years. I stopped in the shop on the way home from the market to get some touch-up blue. Which they didn't have. But they had an obviously old Lyman lubesizer in great condition. $30 price tag on it. I asked the owner which model (45 or 450) it was and he said he didn't know. And then gave it to me! Said it was in the store when he bought it, it was time to move it out. After a hook like that, I had to buy something. I bought a thousand .45 cal gas checks ($20) and a Lee Loader in 7X57 Mauser ($15), neither of which I needed, but after giving me a "Vintage" Lyman lubesizer I can probably get $100 for on Ebay, I owed him at least that much. Eventually I may need the gas checks but the Lee Loader is too dangerous to leave lying around here. I might be tempted to buy a rifle to fit it... Think I'll donate the Lee Loader to Ken for an auction if someone will set it up for me.

PatMarlin
12-29-2007, 09:46 PM
Good deal... :drinks:

Holy smokes is that what those 45's are going for? I passed one up for $45 few months back.

wolfspotter
12-29-2007, 09:58 PM
Well I guess you made out! Last night my buddy ordered a few boxes of bullets and asked if I wanted to order my 44 gas checks from Cabela's to bring his order over $100. Sale price was $21.99 per 1000 for Lymans which I thought was a typo but it wasn't.

A while back I walked into my local gun shop and the owner asked me to step in the back room to check out some powder. Seems a local judge and fellow reloader passed away and I walked out with a box of about 15lbs of powder for $10.00. Most were still sealed like the old Dupont #6 which shoots great in my 45 auto. You never know is right! :drinks:

45nut
12-29-2007, 10:47 PM
I Can set it up Scrounger,, 2 week or 30 day auction,, postage paid?

Scrounger
12-30-2007, 12:59 AM
Your call, just send me a message where to send it when the time comes. I'll pay the shipping. Lady luck smiled on me today, I'll pass it on.

PatMarlin
12-30-2007, 11:59 AM
About a year before I started casting boolits, a friend of mine bought a gunshop stocked with stuff and had about 50 boxes of Hornady gas checks in various calibers.

He asked me if I wanted them for $5 a box, and I thought to myself what in the heck am I ever going to do with these things... :mrgreen:

Well since I had just got my 336 in 35 Rem, I thought what the heck and bought 6 boxes of .358's.. :roll:

Scrounger
12-31-2007, 12:35 PM
Good deal... :drinks:

Holy smokes is that what those 45's are going for? I passed one up for $45 few months back.

You never know with whacko collectors... But I'll be happy if I get $50 or $60 for it. I got lots of faults but greed isn't one of them.

Scrounger
01-01-2008, 04:58 PM
Here's some pictures of the Lyman lubesizer someone gave me the other day. Which model is it? I'm thinking it's an old Model 45 because of that little wooden tip on the handle.

PatMarlin
01-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Dat be a 45.

How much you askin' fer it? .......:drinks:

MtGun44
01-01-2008, 08:20 PM
If you still have that Lee Loader in 7x57 that you don't need - I'd have a
use for it. :-D

Bill

Scrounger
01-01-2008, 09:54 PM
If you still have that Lee Loader in 7x57 that you don't need - I'd have a
use for it. :-D

Bill

It was donated and is up for auction. Bid on it if you like.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=23665

Scrounger
01-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Dat be a 45.

How much you askin' fer it? .......:drinks:

Pat, see Post #7 in this thread.

Lloyd Smale
01-02-2008, 05:32 AM
a box of gas checks for 20 bucks is worth a trip anymore. Pat at 5 bucks a box go back and buy every box he has!! even if you dont need them you could make enough profit off selling them to buy a new gun!!

bullshot
01-02-2008, 08:40 AM
I hate when you guys say things are old, especially when I bought some of them brand new.

PatMarlin
01-02-2008, 11:48 AM
a box of gas checks for 20 bucks is worth a trip anymore. Pat at 5 bucks a box go back and buy every box he has!! even if you dont need them you could make enough profit off selling them to buy a new gun!!

Only problem is Lloyd I would need a time machine cause that was back in 1997.

Would be cool to be able to do that though, then I could pick up a few other things, but I would be afraid of getting stuck and that would be scary.. :mrgreen: