PDA

View Full Version : 35 Remington

Larry Gibson
12-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Few years back I got one of the Shilen short chambered 26" barrels for small ring Mausers from Brownell's chambered in .35 Remington. I put it on a cut down M91 Argentine Mauser that I'd also picked up for next to nothing. The short chamber looked kind of interesting so I just shortened a FL die and made up some cases. Worked fine and seemed to shoot ok but I never could get acceptable accuracy out of the 358315 200 gr bullet above 1500 fps or so. Shot really well with several .38/357 cast bullets.

Then I'd picked up 300 new cases and didn't feel like reforming them. Got a deal on a .35 Rem reamer here (Preacher I think?) and finally got around to actually finish reaming the chamber. I'd also made a deal here on a RCBS 35-200-FN mould. I had high hopes that bullet would shoot well. As a matter of fact that RCBS bullet shoots very well indeed! I got a good load worked up using the RCBS bullet cast of 6/4 WW/linotype alloy. Bullets drop at .359 so I use a .360 H die to seat GC and lube. The WW Super cases are NS'd in a Redding NS die and CCI 34 primers used. Milsurp 4895 is used and 37 gr gives 100% loading density. Velocity is 2125 fps out of the 26" barrel. I got out yesterday to put a zero on the rifle with this load.

The day was a cold (38 degrees), damp rainy day with a blustery wind blowing. I set up a 50 yard pistol target at 100 yards as the 8" bull gives me a little better aiming target with iron sights on darker days. Turns out the elevation was right on and the windage only off by 1 moa. Group on the left is first 5 out of clean barrel then I moved the Lyman sight 4 clicks right and fired the second group. The groups seem to indicate the barrel is stringing the shots but it isn't. I attribute that to the changing light conditions. I fired two other groups and they were round. The conditions had worsened for those last two groups. Five shots were with the regular bullet and five were with the bullet HP'd .225". The groups seemed to overlap but hard to tell. Further testing in better conditions will tell any POI difference with the HP bullets. The RCBS bullet looks very promising right now.

Larry Gibson

Blammer
12-29-2007, 06:53 PM
Nice shooting and looks like a great rifle!

But what I wanna know...

Bullets drop at .459 so I use a .360 H die to seat GC and lube.

Who's gorilla did you use to size them boolits!:-D

Larry Gibson
12-29-2007, 07:08 PM
Blammer

Ooops! I corrected it. Thanks.

Larry Gibson

Lloyd Smale
12-30-2007, 06:44 AM
im a big fan of that bullet. If i could only have one 35 bullet it would be the one.

FWAddit
01-02-2008, 12:16 AM
I have a couple of small-ring Mausers rebarreled to .35 Rem, and I too like the RCBS 35-200-FN. However, my rifles are both 93's, and both give feeding problems with that bullet. Looks like the single-row magazine box in your 91 should feed pretty slick. Right?

Buckshot
01-02-2008, 12:41 AM
I have a couple of small-ring Mausers rebarreled to .35 Rem, and I too like the RCBS 35-200-FN. However, my rifles are both 93's, and both give feeding problems with that bullet. Looks like the single-row magazine box in your 91 should feed pretty slick. Right?

...........I too have a 35 Rem built on a SR Mauser. A 1894 Brazilian to be exact :-)

http://www.fototime.com/89E2F2C1A9E4DC7/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/AEC40C4BAA66E93/standard.jpg

The 200 gr slug I use is the Saeco #356 and have zero issues feeding.

.................Buckshot

KCSO
01-02-2008, 12:54 PM
I use the Lyman 204 gr. RN in my 35 Remingtons and one thing I have noticed is that the 35 Rem is a particularly good choice for full throttle loads. I am currently shooting a M8 and an 81 in 35 and both wil grouop under 2" at 100 yards with the Lyman bullet going a full 2000 fps. IMR 3031 and W/W 748 are my powders of choice. The Lyman rn is cast from straight w/w and at 2000 fps killed a deer at about 80 yards for me this year. One shot kill full penetration and about a 20 yards run before the deer dropped stone dead.

Blammer
01-02-2008, 03:04 PM
one of these day's I'm gonna get a 35 rem bolt gun....

Larry Gibson
01-02-2008, 04:18 PM

I initially had feeding problems with short blunt bullets both cast and Jacketed. Like most Mauser magazines that are long for the cartridge they always feed better if the round feeds from the back of the magazine. I epoxied a thin strip of brass on each side inside the magazine just ahead of the case shoulder. This stops the rounds from moving forward under recoil or from the friction of the top round feeding. I've not had a feeding problem since. I've also done this in several SR and LR Mausers whe chamber to shorter cartridges and it always works.

The single stack mag of the M91 is also great. My M91 will feed cases loaded with 148 swaged WCs. Over 3.5 gr Bullseye they are an awesome short range small game load.

Larry Gibson