PDA

View Full Version : Charter Member Of The Nonessential and Non Disposable Society Group 7th Anniversary

Just Duke
03-29-2014, 01:00 AM
Nonessential And Non Disposable Society or NNADS
I am on year Seven of any major purchase of goods that will not end up junk in a few years.
If I can't get 20 years out of a purchase I look elsewhere.

To become a member you would voluntarily not purchase items that will be sold off in a few years or;
Set on the curb because it's obsolete technology.
Worn out through use
Sold on Craigs List because it went out of style or purchased because it looked cool or to valuable to throw away..
Just wore out because I bought cheap junk because I'm cheap.

If your garage has so much junk in it that you have a narrow path through the middle you need to have a garage sale and use the proceeds to buy the gun you always wanted but could not afford. You will receive a medal for your efforts and your car will have a new home.
If you can't part with all the junk and will suffer "separation anxiety" from your junk you do not need or use you might need to seek professional help.

waksupi
03-29-2014, 01:07 AM
I think I joined years ago. If it's something that won't last, I won't buy it. I complain if something wears out under 25 years or less. I think I own more stuff that I made, than I bought.

OBIII
03-29-2014, 01:29 AM
I still have an IBM Displaywriter system with printer in my attic. This is the one that used the 8" floppies. Do I qualify? :)

OB

Just Duke
03-29-2014, 01:54 AM
I think I own more stuff that I made, than I bought.

I can surely understand that!!!

HollandNut
03-29-2014, 08:40 AM
remember when , uuh in the middle of nowhere anyways , back in my ute , traveling salesmen used to give away Barlow pocketknives , I still got one a buddy of my dad's gave me fifty years ago , just don't ask me to go find it ..

DCM
03-29-2014, 09:15 AM
I think I own more stuff that I made, than I bought.

Getting to be one of the few ways to acquire stuff that will last!

6bg6ga
03-29-2014, 09:38 AM
Does my 1928 RCA Radiola Radio count? It still works and I simply cannot part with it.

Pb2au
03-29-2014, 10:00 AM
My house qualifies. It was built in 1900. I do the usual maintenance, and it keeps me warm and dry. Lots of character, didn't break the bank.
Two of my cars gets me in. The Red Menace, aka, my 98 Jetta is still chugging away at 238,700 miles. My 68 chevy is my Sunday go to meetin car. 68,000 miles.
I hate cheap stuff that breaks. Few things irritate me more.
Most of my tools are older, and tough as a 2$ steak. My favorite hand plane is wood, used to belong to a cabinet maker and is around 100 plus years old.
My lawn mower is newer, but it has been a champ. Well built and reliable. It has big shoes to fill as my last one was 19 years old when it past on.
I really really,,really hate disposable cheap stuff.

kootne
03-29-2014, 10:47 AM
Over 40 years hitched to the same woman, does that count? ;)
kootne

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-29-2014, 10:55 AM
Over 40 years hitched to the same woman, does that count? ;)
kootne

Maybe, but it does tell us the character of your wife :P

Parson
03-29-2014, 11:08 AM

So true, every woman in the world could be married if they would settle for what my wife settled for

375RUGER
03-29-2014, 01:23 PM
Charter member here checking in.

kootne
03-29-2014, 02:57 PM

No question, I married better than she did.

BNE
03-29-2014, 03:05 PM
I think the "5-S" rules apply here....

1. Seiri <Sort>
Remove unecessary items and dispose them properly
Make work easy by eliminating obtacles
Provide no chance of being disturbed with unnecessary items
Prevent accumulation of unnecessary items

2. Seiton <Systematize>
Arrange necessary items in good order so that they can be easily picked for use
Prevent loss and waste of time
Easy to find and pick up necessary items
Ensure first-come-first-serve basis
Make work flow smooth and easy
Can also be translated as "set in order".

3. Seiso <Shine>
Clean your work place completely
Easy to check abnormality
Prevent machinery and equipment deterioration
Keep workplace safe and easy to work
Can also be translated as "sweep".

4. Seiketsu <Standardize>
Maintain high standards of housekeeping and workplace organization at all times
Maintain cleanliness and orderliness

5. ****suke <Self-Discipline>
Do things spontaneously without being told or ordered
Standardize good practice

imashooter2
03-29-2014, 03:32 PM
Let me know how much you enjoy that 15 year old computer. :roll:

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-29-2014, 03:33 PM
I'm right there with you Duke.

Some of the places I shop is the thrift stores and Antique's shops. Item's made 50 years ago or longer were just better built. A typical example is my everyday frypan, a Griswold 8" that is surely older than me, and I have used it for more than a decade. I probably paid $20 for it at a Antique shop pre-911 and I expect it to go a while yet.

RED333
03-29-2014, 06:56 PM
So there is a club for us that keep old stuff, we have a bunch of cast iron cooking pots and pans. (A few older than me)
We live in a 180 year old log house, well the "Log Room" is that old.
The property we live on has had people on it for over 200 years.
Good to meet yall.

bruce drake
03-29-2014, 08:13 PM
Does regularly shooting 100+ year old rifles count? If so, count me in.

Bruce

HollandNut
03-29-2014, 10:21 PM
We all married better than she did

old stuff is cool

Bzcraig
03-30-2014, 12:59 AM
I'm about 80% there! the wife maybe 5%, except for that I too married up!

OeldeWolf
03-30-2014, 01:03 AM
And here I thought it was "normal" to buy good quality stuff, so that it would last a long time. <shakes head> So, I guess I must be another charter member.

1977 pickup truck, house built 1951, several rifles at 100 yrs plus, some of my woodworking tools are probably as old as the rifles, or older, a few blue steel knives, and tools that are newer, but should last as long <Snap-On tools> .. ... etc.

fryboy
03-30-2014, 06:46 AM
i was in contention until ..i bought some new toilet paper ( and some bic lighters to throw in my emergency supplies )

Just Duke
03-30-2014, 06:57 AM
and some bic lighters to throw in my emergency supplies )

Say 3 Zippo Lighters and put $20.00 in the collection plate will purge you of your sins.

WRideout
03-30-2014, 07:17 AM
I still have an IBM Displaywriter system with printer in my attic. This is the one that used the 8" floppies. Do I qualify? :)

OB
Only if you have a garage full of monochrome monitors that are just too good to throw out.
Wayne

Petrol & Powder
03-30-2014, 08:13 AM
Does my 1928 RCA Radiola Radio count? It still works and I simply cannot part with it.

How about my circa 1957 Telefunken Opus 7 radio? I use it every day

HollandNut
03-30-2014, 08:44 AM
We had a bunch of olde stuff , until the house ( over 100 itself ) burned down in May of '07 ..

Love olde stuff

Garyshome
03-30-2014, 08:47 AM
I have a 69' craftsman Hydro trac [yard tractor], 42' Gravely[brush Hog], 66' craftsman roto tiller, 63' duo glide [Harley pan head]. I will keep them all!

HollandNut
03-30-2014, 09:04 AM
cool I have a 52 Hydra , 95% +/- original , as well as a 71 FX and 77 FLH , daily rider is '11 FLTRU

none are for sale

higgins
03-30-2014, 09:27 PM
I am anxiously awaiting word from the best Stihl mechanic in the area if the parts exist to get my 35-year old 031AV running; it's something in the ignition. The ignition system went dead after about ten minutes running time on a new clutch and sprocket. Until the clutch came apart, it was almost 35 years of essentially trouble-free service.

My Evinrude 48hp outboard is 26 years old. It has never idled smoothly, but the mechanic at work told me "none of them big two cylinders idle worth a damn" before I got it. It still won't idle worth a damn but last week it started right up after sitting up for 5 months. My Echo trimmer is about 30 years old and still runs reliably. I have a 36 year old Craftsman push mower with a Tecumseh engine that would run if I cleaned the carburetor (my son mowed with it last year).

I simply hate buying "new and improved" replacement stuff that I know will die before I do (I'm 64). My wife simply won't understand why I grumble when she replaced "old" stuff around the house that still works with "updated" junk made in Asia, or made in the USA with a design life of about 10 years. The perfect example is a Leviton light fixture made in the USA of brass and wired with copper wire being replaced by a trendier piece of plastic and aluminum junk with probably aluminum wiring from Lowe's. I simply hate to buy anything new because I know I'm going to eventually be disappointed with it.

Blammer
03-30-2014, 09:51 PM
I'm on Year 16!

so far the only thing that's lasted has been the wife! Best purchase I ever made! :)

other than that I'm failing at everything else.

well, 'cept maybe my 66 mustang and my 92 chevy....

JeffinNZ
03-30-2014, 10:26 PM
Does regularly shooting 100+ year old rifles count? If so, count me in.

Bruce

Yeap, I agree. AND my .303 brass is 1943 vintage.

Pb2au
03-31-2014, 10:58 AM
Say 3 Zippo Lighters and put $20.00 in the collection plate will purge you of your sins.

Ok, that is hilarious.

Mal Paso
03-31-2014, 01:12 PM
A question for the experts. What sort of laptop computer should I buy. I've been looking at the Panasonic Tough Book but 20 years?

6 years and counting on my Asus P5 Desktop. XP will never die!

Just Duke
03-31-2014, 05:04 PM
Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

I've seen it. It's a knarly narrow gorge that empties out to the ocean. Looks like Clints Ranch is now a 5 house subdivision.

Just Duke
03-31-2014, 05:06 PM
Ok, that is hilarious.

I like the brass lighter myself.

Mal Paso
03-31-2014, 05:55 PM
I've seen it. It's a knarly narrow gorge that empties out to the ocean. Looks like Clints Ranch is now a 5 house subdivision.

He sold it and bought the Odello Farm some time back.

"knarly narrow" My name fits on a number of levels.;-)

dbosman
03-31-2014, 08:29 PM
Windows 7 end of life is January 14th 2020.
Windows 8 end of life is January 10th 2023.
Linux and Unix may run into issues in 2038. But, I don't expect to care.

A question for the experts. What sort of laptop computer should I buy. I've been looking at the Panasonic Tough Book but 20 years?
6 years and counting on my Asus P5 Desktop. XP will never die!

dbosman
03-31-2014, 08:32 PM
How can one marry better?
I still can't figure out what my wife saw in me. ... Never mind, I get it.

Reg
03-31-2014, 08:47 PM
Really, I think the very first thing one needs to think about is NEVER and I do mean NEVER buy anything marked " Made in China".

Don't get me started !!!!!!

Just Duke
03-31-2014, 08:51 PM
The only reason I'n on a computer is we miss placed our telegraphers key and my battery jars are out of acid.
Anyone have telegraphers please PM me as I need one for my SW radio. I'm serious....

RoyEllis
03-31-2014, 09:03 PM
How can one marry better?
I still can't figure out what my wife saw in me. ... Never mind, I get it.

A great many yrs ago I thought that about my 1st wife...absolutely stunning Italian beauty. Took me around 4 or 5 years to figure out beauty is skin deep but evil incarnate starts at the bone & runs all the way out to the shell....you just don't see it until there's a crack opened up.
Worst @#$* thing I brought home from Bad Tolz.

Just Duke
03-31-2014, 09:07 PM
A great many yrs ago I thought that about my 1st wife...absolutely stunning Italian beauty. Took me around 4 or 5 years to figure out beauty is skin deep but evil incarnate starts at the bone & runs all the way out to the shell....you just don't see it until there's a crack opened up.

I believe I dated here sisters.

RoyEllis
03-31-2014, 09:13 PM
The only reason I'n on a computer is we miss placed our telegraphers key and my battery jars are out of acid.
Anyone have telegraphers please PM me as I need one for my SW radio. I'm serious....

You may be in luck Duke! My Dad was heavily into Ham Radio and I will look through his old stuff....I know there should be some of his old keys lying around. He taught me Morse & telegraphy as I learned the alphabet as a child. If I find one or more they shall be yours.....even if you don't like them you still won't owe me anything for them. The only one you can't have hangs on my wall above the desk, it shows a distinct bullet strike, one that saved Dad's life in WWII as a communications MSgt in 3rd Army under Patton.

Just Duke
03-31-2014, 09:28 PM
You may be in luck Duke! My Dad was heavily into Ham Radio and I will look through his old stuff....I know there should be some of his old keys lying around. He taught me Morse & telegraphy as I learned the alphabet as a child. If I find one or more they shall be yours.....even if you don't like them you still won't owe me anything for them. The only one you can't have hangs on my wall above the desk, it shows a distinct bullet strike, one that saved Dad's life in WWII as a communications MSgt in 3rd Army under Patton.

That would be great Roy. I'll get my battery jars cleaned and ready to go!
My clicker due to OR weather, the copper wiring has turned blue green and fused itself to-gether. I suppose these can be re-wound, right?

kootne
03-31-2014, 09:29 PM
Here in Libby, all our internet in and out of town is channeled through the telegraph office.

bearcove
03-31-2014, 10:22 PM
I think you need a time machine.

Wish I had one.

Sweet Dreams.

Just Duke
03-31-2014, 10:23 PM
I think you need a time machine.

Wish I had one.

Sweet Dreams.

Since I was 6 years old I need one.

HollandNut
03-31-2014, 11:43 PM
I've always grappled with technology , on the one hand it is nice , on the other hand , I was born 150 years too late , but alas the kidney stones I have had would have probably killed me in the early 1800's , along with a few other ailments we think nothing of today ..

And I'd have died a long time ago ..

But my dad said ( he would be 105 this year ) , he didn't see much good looking back on the "good old days" ..

torker
04-01-2014, 02:12 PM

I think Bad Tolz was the cleanest Kasern in Europe. At least in the mid 70's it was. Had a few drinks there, Called the Cave I think.
I know what you mean about thoses Italian women.

Fishman
04-01-2014, 05:09 PM
I doubt any of us are logging on here with 20 year old computers and cell phones . . . :)

But I do agree with the concept whenever possible.

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-01-2014, 09:42 PM
back!

Nicholas
04-01-2014, 09:48 PM
I doubt any of us are logging on here with 20 year old computers and cell phones . . . :)

Fishman still has his single shot 20 gage H & R I bought him for duck hunting as a kid. That should qualify.

The problem with living a simple life is a little known law of thermodynamics, succinctly stated - There is more matter in the universe than it can contain. In fact more seems to appear out of nowhere spontaneously. My garage is an example. Dark Matter might be another example. I am betting there are political examples as well.

A corollary of the premise for this group is to obtain perfectly good stuff from those who do not want it anymore. Evidence that this is good is the Swappin and Sellin forum.

TXGunNut
04-01-2014, 10:15 PM

My desktop is 12 yrs old, just don't ask her to go on the 'net. RAM is maxed out at a blazing 512 and the "reconditioned" power supply cost about the same as a good bottle of wine. Has an awesome word processing pkg and a huge (for the era) 40 gig hard drive.

Ozarki
04-01-2014, 10:37 PM
Do two 1953 Lyman AA turret presses, 1972 John Deere M108, some zippo lighters and some made from c-rations tins, several hundred rear old rifles and pistols, recently acquired 1938 Winny in 32ws, Gee there aint nothing new here. Looking in the shop I find dads old woodworking tools, some his dads, some purchased in the 40's. better quit here I seem to be dating myself.

jaysouth
04-03-2014, 09:41 PM
I've always grappled with technology , on the one hand it is nice , on the other hand , I was born 150 years too late , but alas the kidney stones I have had would have probably killed me in the early 1800's , along with a few other ailments we think nothing of today ..

And I'd have died a long time ago ..

But my dad said ( he would be 105 this year ) , he didn't see much good looking back on the "good old days" ..

I distinctly remember the smell of an outhouse in August, not to mention the cloud of flies attracted to the smell.

Just Duke
04-03-2014, 11:31 PM
I still have and wear underwear from before I was married 17 years ago!

Have you ever changed it?

waksupi
04-04-2014, 12:10 AM
I distinctly remember the smell of an outhouse in August, not to mention the cloud of flies attracted to the smell.

It was poorly maintained, then. I have an outhouse. Keep lime in the pit, and the lid closed, no flies, no stink.

6bg6ga
04-04-2014, 05:34 AM

The smell is still alive every summer on the construction front. Ahh the wonderful smell of the mint on a hot summer day.

Pb2au
04-04-2014, 09:12 AM
So I have been thinking on this thread since I posted in it some days ago.
Most of my hand tools, wood and mechanic, are old, like over 50 years. The newer stuff I have always tried to buy the best I can, when I need it. I don't waste my dough on things I don't need. I make my money with my hands and my mind. It has morphed over the years, but I still make money with my hands. Whether I am rebuilding machinery, repairing machines, building machinery to programming it, I have needed tools that would work all the time. It could be a good hammer to a quality spirit machine level accurate to 0.01mm over 5 meters.
Most of my firearms are over 50, with the exception of a few. My Black hawk is one of those examples. I needed at 5 1/2" barrel, 45 colt revolver that I could throw off of a cliff and it would still work.
My anvil was forged in England around 1880. My forge was around the turn of the century.
New stuff can be good. So long it is quality. My last weed whacker was a piece of garbage from the get go. My new one is a husqavarna and works like a champ. Same for other things I have bought new.
If you buy cheap, you will buy it twice.

I like this thread a lot.

Just Duke
04-10-2014, 02:05 PM

Any luck on those Roy?

doc1876
04-20-2014, 12:48 PM
I am 58, and have a lot of things from my grandparents, all 4 of them. the most I have is from my dad's dad who I did not meet. I still use his leather awl, winchester 94, and other things regularly. I bought a new Dodge in '04, and told the salesman that if it did not last at least 20 years I was going to see him, not Dodge. She has 175000 miles on her, and still looks good. I tell people "I live in a cave, and like it there" But most of my stuff is old, it just works better.
The wife was another issue, after 26 years she started using just too much oil, and was hitting on only three cylinders, so she HAD to go. (actually hooked up with an older woman in much better condition!)

Just Duke
05-02-2014, 10:19 PM
Recycled goodies.

gandydancer
05-02-2014, 10:33 PM
I'm still using a broad ax. gd

popper
05-03-2014, 11:23 PM
I just used any old sealed relay for the clicker and a paper clip for the sender. Actually has a couple keys and a bug from my uncle. They disappeared when I left home, along with all the gear, cams, pistons and cranks.

MaryB
05-04-2014, 10:04 PM
I still have the morse key I bought when I was 14, don't use it much now because of carpal tunnel. Wish I still had my novice rig, I built a Heathkit HW16 when I was 13, right before I got my ham license. I have the shotgun my dad got as a kid, a single shot JR Stevens 16 gauge that he gave to me then I refurbished it and gave it back. When he died last summer I got it back again. Going to give it to whichever nephew wants it.

Just Duke
05-05-2014, 04:26 AM

Roy did you get my PM?

smokeywolf
05-05-2014, 06:13 AM
General Electric manufactures a refrigerator. Sears sells it for $1,600.00. GE warranties the $200 compressor for 10 years, the rest of the fridge for 1 year. By limiting the warranty on the remaining parts of the fridge to 12 months, GE is confirming that they believe that the remaining $1,400.00 worth of fridge is going to start falling apart in just 12 months.

The duration of a manufacturer's warranty is that company's declaration of how long they expect their product to look and operate as designed.

I have to shuffle through my garage sideways. It's not because I have too much stuff, it's because I have too little garage.

smokeywolf