PDA

View Full Version : 3 New (To Me) Boolit Slingers

twotrees
12-29-2007, 02:12 PM
Some of y'all have seen me posting , asking for help getting 2 of these 3 up and running. Well since I was off all week, and the Great wife I have, got me the parts, the Round-to-it got-er-done.

First is a 170B Savage, in 35 Rem., I got at an auction years ago. Muzzle was rusted out, so it is missing 3 inches of barrel. Still needs a good finish put on the stock and re-blued, but it's ready to try for some wild piggies.

http://www.bullshooters.org/model170brifle.jpg

Second is was a BAD trade I got talked into a few years ago. I had a perfectly good Marlin in 44 mag that shot cast like a house a fire. But this is one of the guns I have always wanted, so like the dummy I am, I traded. Savage 99 in 308. Gun shoots OK but it was a 1 shooter. It refused to extract. Replaced the extractor, still NG. Polished the chamber (It might still need more) and another new extractor.
It's wearing an Old Challenger (by Weaver) 3X9 scope. Yea I know the stainless rings look like a French lady of the evening. But the blue rings I had for it last night were stripped, hence the abortion in mounting. It will change IF this thing starts working.

http://www.bullshooters.org/model99rifle.jpg

Last is a Remington 141, in 35 Rem. that showed up at my favorite pawn shop at a great price. I put a hold on it, Before I knew that the wife had just been laid off. (Tuesday before Christmas). We Got Christmas out of the way and scrounged up the necessary money to pick it up yesterday. It has been reblued and was done OK, Wish they would have taken more time to keep all of the lettering sharp.

When I was 16 a kid I played ball with had his Grand dad's 141 (35 Rem) for sale for $25. I asked my Dad if I could buy it and he said "NO !". In my youth if Dad said No it ment NO. So I had to pass. Now 45 years later I have my 141.

http://www.bullshooters.org/model141rifle.jpg

It's wearing an old Lyman All American 4X and it will stay on it.

http://www.bullshooters.org/model141action.jpg

Now to get a GOOD 35 cal Mold and get the 35's shooting real boolits.

Happy New Year to All Y'All.

TwoTrees

Buckshot
12-30-2007, 04:22 AM
................Those look to be some very fun rifles :-) Of course I'm more partial to those in 35 Rem then the 308, but they'all all 3 nice. It'll be interesting to hear how they do when you get them figured out.

.................Buckshot

Four Fingers of Death
12-30-2007, 09:02 AM
Like the last one, I've always been fascinated by the 35 Remington, we don't see them much in Australia (actually, I have never struck a 35 remington in any shape or form). Are you sure the 99 is actually a 308 and not some bodgy rechamber. Maybe a chamber cast might be in order.

twotrees
12-30-2007, 10:15 AM
Quick trip to the range yesterday afternoon, just before it closed. Everybody must have received new guns for Christmas, the place was packed.

Got the Savage 170B working really quick. On target at 25 yards, looks like it wants to shoot.

The Savage 99:confused: 1 shot, stuck case, Oh Well back to the drawing board. I have some diamond paste and will slick the chamber up to a mirror gloss. Can't hurt, can't use it the way it is. Dang.

Mick, it is a 308 but it looks like the chamber reamer chattered a bit and the wear on the bolt just will not allow the extractor to grab the case tight.

My Baby, well the Lyman scope had a issue, the windage adjustment it TIGHT !!!! After getting elevation on it was a fight to get it centered. But got it 1/2 high and centered. The scope mount (? don't know what this one is but it's solid) sits high enough to allow use of the irons. With my short range glasses on the sights are clear, but the target is fuzzy. ( Dang this getting old ain't for the young, it's tough) I did get a hit on center 2 inches high.

All this was at 25 yards, from the shakest excuse for a bench I have ever shot from. When the range is full ya take what ya get.

It's raining today ( We need it bad) and am going to deer camp for New Years Eve.
I'll set out a target at 100 and finish zero with these J word 200 grainers, then see if the piggies co-opreate.

I'll say it now because I'll be off line for the next few days.

May Health, Wealth and Happiness find All Y'All in the new Year. And may the silver stream cast perfect boolits everytime.

TwoTrees and RedFoxy ( From Ga. U.S.A.)