PDA

View Full Version : 625 keyholing

mwc
03-28-2014, 01:21 AM
I have used the search button and I can only find info about the 9mm. I am having some issues with my 45 acp revolver keyholing I have mic'ed the cylinders and slugged the barrel they are measuring at .452, which is the same dia. that I have sized my 230 grn. tl round nose at. so that's probably what is giving me the problem. They are not leading the barrel just tumbling or keyholing. all of the lee, lyman and rcbs molds in 45acp say the dia. is .452, so my question is what mold should I look at that drops the boolits at a larger size? I am using 4.7 gr. of Red Dot which works really well in several of my semi-autos.

pearcetopher
03-28-2014, 02:40 AM
dont size your boolits load them at cast diameter and goodbye keyholing

DLCTEX
03-28-2014, 06:10 AM
With the throats at .452 you will have problems as you need to be. 001 over groove dia. Did you push the slug for the barrel all the way through and check for choke restrictions? Barrels can be squeezed where they are screwed into the frame and where rollmarked or dovetailed for sights.

Pb2au
03-28-2014, 08:45 AM
Sounds like boolit fit for sure.
Double check those throat measurements. Like DLCTEX said, target 0.001" over groove and try that. If your mold isn't cooperating and dropping a large enough bullet, do a quick search on beagling a mold. That should fix you up.
+1 on double checking for restrictions in the barrel as well.
What gun is this by the way?

243winxb
03-28-2014, 09:52 AM
much better with bullets around 250 grain. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?105580-45ACP-Revolver-Bullet-Recommendations

Dale53
03-28-2014, 11:20 AM
MWC;
Make sure that you are using a precision micrometer to measure the slugs. Dial calipers are not accurate enough for the task. I have a pair of 625's (5" Model 625-6 Model of 1989 and a 4" Model 625-8 JM Special). They are two of the most accurate revolvers I own and shoot.

That barrel diameter you report does not ring true. That seems quite large for a Smith. If you don't own a pair of precision micrometers, borrow a set from some one to be sure your measurements are correct. The throats on my 625's are right at .4525". Earlier Smiths may have different dimensions.

Good luck!

Dale53

Tatume
03-28-2014, 12:04 PM
All of the Lee, Lyman and RCBS molds in 45 acp say the dia. is .452, so my question is what mold should I look at that drops the boolits at a larger size?

If your measurements are correct you are not going to correct this problem by changing to a different mold. Loading bullets that are larger than the throat diameter accomplishes nothing, as they are sized to throat diameter immediately upon firing.

My suggestion is to first try some jacketed bullets, preferably high quality commercial ammunition. If the key holing persists, send the gun back to S&W.

Take care, Tom

Pepe Ray
03-28-2014, 08:10 PM
Could it be that you have a 5 L&G bbl?
If so you need special measuring tools for the bbl measurements.
All previous suggestions still apply.
Pepe Ray

fredj338
03-28-2014, 08:47 PM
If the bore is 0.452". the bullet is not stabilizing. You could try a softer alloy, see if you can get some obturation. FWIW, you can not get a precise cyl throat measurement with your calipers. Even being off 0.0005" means the bulelts could be sized down slightly.
Now pull a bullet & see if it is being sized down during loading/crimping. LFCD, toss it, that could be your issue.

mwc
03-30-2014, 04:13 PM
First I screwed up I grabbed a 1/2 a box of water dropped 230 18 bhn and 6.1 of power pistol. these are the very first rounds down the pipe. I did use inside telescoping gages{snap gages} and an outside mic, thecylinder throats are at .4525, the barrel I slugged all the way threw and originaly use dial calipers on it I recheck with a 0 to 1 mic and it check at.450-.451 I can't find any thread squeeze in the barrel. I did go back out with some 230 12bhn lead, and some Berrys plated 230 rn and some factory remans that I had.The lead and the berrys were loaded with 4.7 gr. of red dot and this time no keyholing with any of the three types that I shot. Shooting off hand at 10 yds I was able to shot 3in groups with no keyholes, maybe not the best of groups but pretty good for me. Thanks for all of the replies it really helped me re think what I needed to do. I forgot one thing that someone asked about the gun is a model 625-8 JM special S&W with a 4 in barrel.