PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Mold #457122

miker557
03-27-2014, 09:35 PM
I picked up one of these molds week before last to cast some 330 grain hollow points to load 45-60 with, and this past Sunday I finally warmed up the lead pot and got them cast. After sizing and lubing them, I noticed two things: (1) the hollow point is noticeably off-center, and (2) the bullets (which were cast of wheel-weight material) weigh in at around 350 grains.

Has anyone else had experience with this mold, and what kind of results have they gotten?

Also, I sent a message to Lyman two days ago explaining my experience - so far I have not heard from them. Has anyone else on this forum dealt with their customer service, and if so, what kind of experience did you have?

Miker

MT Chambers
03-27-2014, 11:34 PM
If the mold is new, it shouldn't be off centre, check to see that the pin is not loose in the mold, only trouble I've had with this excellent mold is that you have to keep the pin as hot as the mold, or you get deformed HP cavs.

Mk42gunner
03-28-2014, 09:21 PM
Make sure the mold blocks are fully closed before inserting the pin that you have been keeping heated.

The Lyman HP molds are a bit difficult to learn how to cast with; but once you start to get good boolits, it isn't too bad.

Robert