PDA

View Full Version : Mark Witaschek guilty of possessing muzzleloader bullets in D.C. <-- shaking my head.

DougGuy
03-27-2014, 01:32 PM
You just can't make this stuff up! WTH is with a court, or a judge, or a DA that is absolutely CLUE-LESS as to what part of a firearm, or ammunition, is the part described by the law? I mean, could you assemble a TEAM of men who collectively could not figure out how to pour p*ss out of a boot? Yes, sadly, I think it's possible..

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/mar/26/miller-exclusive-shock-verdict-mark-witaschek-guil/#ixzz2x6bFEpHI

In a surprising twist at the end of a long trial, a District of Columbia judge found Mark Witaschek guilty of “attempted possession of unlawful ammunition” for antique replica muzzleloader bullets.

Judge Robert Morin sentenced Mr. Witaschek to time served, a $50 fine and required him to enroll with the Metropolitan Police Department’s firearm offenders’ registry within 48 hours.

Outside the courtroom, I asked Mr. Witaschek how he felt about the verdict. “I’m completely outraged by it,” he said. “This is just a continuation of the nightmare. Just to sit there. I could not believe it.”

Shaking his head, he added, “None of these people know anything about gun issues, including the judge.”

His wife Bonnie Witaschek was crying. “It’s just so scary,” she said. “You never think you’ll end up in a situation like this, but here we are.”

Mr. Witaschek’s attorney Howard X. McEachern shook his client’s hand and said, “We’re not done.” Mr. McEachern plans to appeal the decision.

I asked the defense attorney for his opinion of the verdict. “Clearly the judge thought that this was overkill — the sentence reflects how he felt about the prosecution of this case,” he replied.

Until the final hours of the trial, both the defense and government focused the case on whether the single 12 gauge shotgun shell that was found in Mr. Witaschek’s D.C. home was operable. The judge, however, never ruled on it.

In the afternoon on Wednesday, Judge Morin shook the plastic shell and tried to listen to something inside. He said he could not hear any gunpowder. He then asked the lawyers to open the shell to see if there was powder inside.

(This seemed like a bizarre request since the lack of primer — not gunpowder — would be relevant to the interoperability of the misfired shell.)

Assistant Attorney General Peter Saba said that the government wanted to open the shell but that, “It is dangerous to do outside a lab.”

The prosecutors and police officers left the courtroom to try to find a lab that was open in the afternoon to bring the judge to cut the plastic off the section that holds the pellets. When that proved not possible in the same day, the judge decided to just rule on the bullets.

The 25 conical-shaped, .45 caliber bullets, made by Knight out of lead and copper, sat on the judge’s desk. They do not have primer or gunpowder so cannot be propelled. The matching .50 caliber plastic sabots were also in the box.

There was much debate over whether the bullets were legal since D.C. residents are allowed to buy antique replica firearms without registering.

The judge seemed inclined to throw out this charge since he repeatedly asked how the bullets could be illegal if the gun that they go in was not.

During lunch, the government came up with a list from ATF of types of muzzleloader rifles that could be converted to use rimfire ammunition. Not that Mr. Witaschek owned one of these nor was modern ammo at issue in the trial.

Nevertheless Judge Morin said, “I’m persuaded these are bullets. They look like bullets. They are hollow point. They are not musket balls.” He then ruled that Mr. Witaschek had possessed “beyond a reasonable doubt” the metal pieces in D.C.

The judge, however, still seemed to think this was a strange issue for a court. “It’s taken four lawyers all afternoon to get through an interpretation of whether or not these are lawful,” he noted.

Before sentencing, Mr. Witaschek addressed the judge.

“I’ve never been arrested in my life up until this incident,” he said, his voice cracking with emotion. “My use of firearms is strictly recreational. I’ve never had any criminal intent.”

The businessman asked for leniency so that he would not lose his license to practice his financial management company.

“I run the risk of losing my job, my occupation, as a result of this conviction,” he said. “I ask the court not to add to that burden of what’s already been done to my life over the last two years.”

Un friggin believable..

ghh3rd
03-27-2014, 02:46 PM
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/ken-shepherd/2014/03/26/washtimess-miller-dc-judge-convicts-man-attempting-own-musket-balls#ixzz2xB0R3Z6q

I live in Florida, a gun friendly state. It's when I read stuff like this that I remember how lucky I am to live here.

I've warned my wife that if Florida ever turns into a crazy gun-unfriendly place to live, she had better be prepared to move.

Randy

Epd230
03-27-2014, 03:41 PM
***?!?

What is this Night Court?
-$50.00 fine and time served?

That has to be one of the dumbest verdicts that I have ever heard.

Harter66
03-27-2014, 03:43 PM
I'm glad I live on the other end of the country from that.

Of course Lelind Yee is just a stones throw away.........

freebullet
03-27-2014, 04:07 PM
Nothing surprises me from certain places, case in point. Not even surprised.

country gent
03-27-2014, 04:08 PM
Look at the revenue being generated by this case. All the courts employees 2 lawyers and support personel, all drawing fees from this case. Sort of sad they tie up all this time on this rather than a real criminal. And its not done yet as there is likely to be appeals tieing up more court timke and funds. Theres no need to wonder how we got where we are at this type of game playing is the reason why.

montana_charlie
03-27-2014, 05:46 PM
The Newsbusters headline, and this thread title, are both inaccurate. The bullets in question are conicals made by Knight, and made to be fired in the Knight muzzleloader, in sabots.

The judge said

Nevertheless Judge Morin said, “I’m persuaded these are bullets. They look like bullets. They are hollow point. They are not musket balls.”

So, if they HAD been musket balls as the headline and title state, Witaschek would have got off scott-free.

Still, the underlying ignorance of the judge ... and almost everybody else involved ... is discouraging.
They all need to be instructed on the difference between simple 'bullets' and loaded 'cartridges' ... which are often called 'bullets' by TV-and-movie-educated ignoramuses (who may or may not own guns).

CM

Artful
03-27-2014, 05:51 PM
What Caliber do you think these are ... just need to build a smooth bore to take 'em.
- we can probably get half of DC arrested.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31zjj%2BWBxPL.jpg

DCP
03-27-2014, 06:13 PM
District of Columbia must not be a part of the USA

Zymurgy50
03-27-2014, 06:34 PM
I can see some bottom-feeding lawyer seeing this as setting a "precedent". No more ball bearings, marbles, or round rocks allowed!!!!! Permit required to purchase rock salt!!!

Col4570
03-27-2014, 06:46 PM
Oh dear oh dear whats happening over there.Sounds like a free for all when they ascertain an items legality.

deep creek
03-27-2014, 08:54 PM
I dont think were in kansas anymore toto

D Crockett
03-27-2014, 09:37 PM
this is a big pile of bull dung. we really need to do out home work when it comes to elections. and I know it is easer said than done but if the elected officals do not belive in out right given to us by our for fathers get rid of them. we need to stand up for our rights no mater what . D Crockett

MOcaster
03-27-2014, 11:29 PM
What Caliber do you think these are ... just need to build a smooth bore to take 'em.
- we can probably get half of DC arrested.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31zjj%2BWBxPL.jpg

Ha! Nobody in DC could be arrested for having some balls laying around. (There aren't any.) Actually, now that I think about it, they might just be scared if someone had some balls.

Thin Man
03-28-2014, 08:58 AM
Appeal the conviction. Get the case in front of knowledgable people (if any could be found in that locale). Hire a lawyer with knowledge and the ability to articulate the facts, and call knowledgable witnesses to testify on the merits of the issue. Pricey, but so is the outcome if this garbage is allowed to stand.

Thin Man

osteodoc08
03-28-2014, 10:56 AM
Paging Mr. Ben Wa

MtGun44
03-28-2014, 11:04 AM
They decided that they didn't like the guy and they were going to nail him on SOMETHING. It started
with a fired shotgun shell or rifle cartridge, IIRC. Sounds like they decided that they couldn't make
the BS legal argument that a fired cartridge or shell was "ammunition", so they twisted things into
the muzzle loading bullet being "ammunition".

I suspect the low fine and no time is because they feel like they have already won by holding him in
jail for a while and costing him many thousands for lawyers, plus this MAY keep him from appealing
so they can "win". He winds up as a permanent "firearms offender" - so that may be the reason to
spend more money on fighting this - WHILE LIVING IN VIRGINIA!

DC is a $#** hole, always has been since I was a young man, and has gotten a lot worse. The
entire power structure is totally shot through with anti-gun fanatics and they absolutely HATE
having been forced to let people own guns in the Heller Supreme Court case, so they are doing whatever
they can to make it very, very hard to own guns. They come down like a ton of bricks on the tiniest
infraction to terrify the average person into not even trying to legally own a gun for fear of making some
tiny error which will put them in jail.

Literally, this is official terrorism - make people too scared to enjoy their rights. They INTEND
to terrorize gun owners. Probably laughing like heck behind closed doors. Evil people.

Bill

geargnasher
03-28-2014, 01:23 PM
WHERE IS THE G&^%#^@D NRA/ILA?????

Gear

Artful
03-28-2014, 08:07 PM
WHERE IS THE G&^%#^@D NRA/ILA?????

Gear

Hmmm - fund raising?
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/359650/nra-having-record-fundraising-year-charles-c-w-cooke

geargnasher
03-28-2014, 09:18 PM
Yup. I got a call just yesterday at work, which was a new one for me. We're all members so I told them to keep up the good work through the membership drive (it was not a membership drive call, just a "hey, did you know X bill is in congress, and we need your donations to lobby against it" kind of call) and eased the phone back into the cradle. If I had been aware of THIS at the time, I would have asked where the H*** all our money was going if it wasn't to help pay attorney's fees for people who are being persecuted by our gestapo criminal injustice system.

This case needs to go all the way to the Supreme Court, and do so with help from ILA funds as far as I see it. I would gladly donate money if I thought I could earmark it for an attorney's fund of some sort, and see the accounting at the end of the year.

I let my membership lapse for a while, then decided I'd better pony up if I wanted anyone to fight, but I think my money is going to GOA from now on, and two years from now when my current NRA membership is up, not renew it unless they change some things. I'm sending an email to Chris and Wayne telling them exactly what I think.

Gear

Ajax
03-29-2014, 06:25 AM
I have had a issue with the NRA since we tried to get castle doctrine expanded here in Pennsylvania. Their rep (i won't name him) decided to started negotiating concessions when we already had enough to get it passed clean. Since that time i have had no love for the NRA. Add to that the other issues with people being persecuted for exercising a right with not a word from the NRA has me donating to GOA and others.

Andy

montana_charlie
03-29-2014, 03:00 PM
... will it succeed? ...

bbs70
03-29-2014, 04:41 PM
I'm glad I live on the other end of the country from that.

Of course Lelind Yee is just a stones throw away.........

Speaking of Lelind Yee.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/26/leland-yee-gun-traffickin_n_5038152.html