PDA

View Full Version : new custom project. What do you think.

Lloyd Smale
12-29-2007, 09:23 AM
Picked up a 4570 26 inch cowboy and am sending it to dave clements for some work. hes going to do his basic package on it that consists of an action job, glass bedding the stock, his special way of hanging the mag tube, filling all the sight dovetails and scope mounting holes, opening up the chamber a tad for cast bullets. Hes cutting the barrel to 18.5 inch instaling a lyman apature and a post front sight that will have two trinium inserts stacked verticaly on the post front to make a trinium line up the middle of the sight. hes then going to case harden the frame hammer and trigger and put a polished blue on the rest of the gun. Then it goes to my buddy who is a stock maker to have a limbsaver pad installed and the stock checkered. I think it will make a gun that is both beautiful to look at and a hunting machine!

StrawHat
12-29-2007, 09:53 AM
Sounds to me like you have this well thought out!

Short barrels and glowing sights aren't my thing but I realize the value of them. Especially on the UP.

Will you be posting before and after photos?

Wish, I could find the long barreled Marlin, down here they are not to be found.

Good luck

Lloyd Smale
12-29-2007, 09:57 AM
guns allready gone to Dave so before pics cant happen but ill get some afters when its done. My thoughts on the trinium is that a guy would have them for low light and a little sight black would turn them into a plain black post and wipe right off when then sun went down.

StrawHat
12-29-2007, 10:05 AM
[QUOTE=Lloyd Smale;263521 My thoughts on the trinium is that a guy would have them for low light and a little sight black would turn them into a plain black post and wipe right off when then sun went down.[/QUOTE]

Today I learned something, I would never have thought of that on my own.

Too used to using patridge, sourdoughs and ivory beads to think about these new sighting options.

Good idea, the sight black, hope it works out for you.

Lloyd Smale
12-29-2007, 12:14 PM
tritiums have worked for me with a string peep on bows well for years and i put a front one on my 4 inch 629 and carried it in the woods this year and thought they worked great. dont see why they wouldnt work as well on a lever gun. I tried fiber optics and they do nothing for me in low light and are just to fragile. Everyone ive used on a hard kicking gun has broke. the sight hes putting on it is going to be like his handgun sights and have a quick interchangeable blade and hes providing a black one too so it can be easily swapped.

jack19512
12-30-2007, 10:31 AM
guns allready gone to Dave so before pics cant happen but ill get some afters when its done.

I have a 45/70 26 inch Cowboy that I would donate you pictrures of the before if you want them.

Lloyd Smale
12-30-2007, 12:34 PM
ya got the wrong guy here. i dont even know how to post a picture but feel free if you do

jack19512
12-30-2007, 07:13 PM
I guess I'm a little confused. StrawHat wanted to know if you were going to post some before and after pics, you stated the rifle had already been sent so you didn't have any before pics but you wrote"but ill get some afters when its done". I assume my Cowboy is like yours and was just offering to provide you with some before pics so you could post both the before and after if you were inclined to do so. :confused:

dubber123
12-31-2007, 10:12 AM
I guess I'm a little confused. StrawHat wanted to know if you were going to post some before and after pics, you stated the rifle had already been sent so you didn't have any before pics but you wrote"but ill get some afters when its done". I assume my Cowboy is like yours and was just offering to provide you with some before pics so you could post both the before and after if you were inclined to do so. :confused:

I could be wrong, but I think Lloyd might send his pics to someone else to get them posted, so sending them to him is kinda the long way around. Until I take another shot at picture posting, I may have to rely on someone else too.

Char-Gar
12-31-2007, 01:09 PM
These things are all a matter of personal taste. I would not have a 45-70 with a barrel that short. I know the "Guide Gun" is very popular and I had a Marlin Guide Gun a couple of years back, for a short time and it only confirmed once again that I don't like such rifles.

Back about 1961, I bought a Winchester 86 in 40-82 with a bore in bad condition. I sent it to Ackley for a rebore to 45-70 and bobed the barrel and magazine to 19". I installed a Lyman receiver sight, Redfield Sourdough Patridge front, and a recoil pad.

Although I killed several deer with it, I never did come to like it. I also had another Winchester 86 in 45-70 with the full 26" barrel. I found it to be a much better hunting rifle as it hung on target much better. That long octogon barrel and full length magazine made for one steady front sight.

The short barrel makes the rifle easier to carry in a vehicle or air plane, but one on the ground on your feet, it is more of a hinderance than a help.

This is not the "truth", but one old geezers opinion based on almost 50 years afield with rifles.

45 2.1
12-31-2007, 01:25 PM
I've shot most variations of the 4570 for 32 years. The original guide guns were too clunky and didn't feel right nor did they point well, BUT I just got a stainless guide gun, this one has trimmed down wood I can live with, but I really would like thinner wood yet. I like it and will change the sights out to something i'm used to. I've also had the cowboy, which I think is to long for its light weight. I'll wait for Lloyd to tell us how it handles, points and shoots, but I like the idea.

Lloyd Smale
12-31-2007, 04:59 PM
thanks dubber. thats about it. I dont have a clue as to how to post pictures and am not real anxoius to learn. When its done ill post some pictures and then maybe you could post your stock one then.
I could be wrong, but I think Lloyd might send his pics to someone else to get them posted, so sending them to him is kinda the long way around. Until I take another shot at picture posting, I may have to rely on someone else too.

jack19512
12-31-2007, 07:00 PM

It's extremely easy to do providing you can transfer the pics to your computer. And with most digital cameras today that is easy to do also. Remember, a picture is worth a thousand words. :-D

C A Plater
12-31-2007, 09:13 PM
Lloyd,
I am curious as to what front sight you are using. The though of swapping out the front partridge blade on my little Marlin 94 .44 Guide version I like to call Thumper with a standard dovetail one appeals to me if one is availiable. It already has a Foolproof rear aperture and that would make dawns early light or twilights last gleaming chance at Mr. Monster buck a real possibility.

EDK
12-31-2007, 09:22 PM
Take a look at the LYMAN 17. You can switch the standard inserts around--or buy more from BROWNELLS, etc--and the yellow plastic shader works great in shady areas. AND it's relatively cheap--$30+ in my old MIDWAYUSA catalog.

I take the aperture out of my LYMAN 66 receiver sight and use it as a ghost ring with the #17 front. WORKS FOR ME!

GSPKurt
12-31-2007, 09:35 PM
I can't wait to see the after pics. Clements does awesome work.

Lloyd Smale
01-01-2008, 07:46 AM
you will have to ask clements. I dont know if hes actually done a levergun with one. I know he does them on handguns all the time and i thought it would be slick on a lever gun to and he said it would be no problem. I liked the idea so much that im sending him my marliin 94 custom 475 linebaugh to have the same sight put on that one. Figured it would be slick to be able to change from a light plinking load or 480 load to a full power load with just the quick swap of a blade. As to the trinium inserts this is the first lever hes done with them too. what he has is round barrel shaped inserts that he could install horizontaly as a dot. I didnt like that idea because if you mounted one in a blade it would be lower then the top of your sight and youd have to compenstate for it. So what i proposed he did was take two of them and stack them verticaly on a post sight and run them to the top of the blade. The reason i went with two is to make a definate line out of them that would automaticaly bring your eyes to the top. I figured if only one was used like that id have a tendencey to use it as a dot instead of a line. With that gun i will have both sights the same height and if i was on a hunt that i knew wasnt going to need low light capabilitys i would just use the plain black post which is by far my favorite front sight picture.
Lloyd,
I am curious as to what front sight you are using. The though of swapping out the front partridge blade on my little Marlin 94 .44 Guide version I like to call Thumper with a standard dovetail one appeals to me if one is availiable. It already has a Foolproof rear aperture and that would make dawns early light or twilights last gleaming chance at Mr. Monster buck a real possibility.

AricTheRed
04-06-2013, 07:05 PM
So did you ever get your stuff back from Clements? How is it? I'm thinking of sending him my 1894ss. I'm hoping to hear some feedback about his work.

Ziptar
04-06-2013, 08:15 PM
Dave does terrific work. He did the .44 Mag to .45 Colt re-barrel on my Marlin 1894. He not only swapped the barrels but did a little action work to it also. The action is like buttah. Just be patient, it'll be worth it.

Lead Fred
04-06-2013, 10:21 PM
You ruined a perfectly good CB, to make a GG out of it.
I bet a bunch of GG owners would have gladly traded

The horror, the horror.

Lloyd Smale
04-07-2013, 08:12 AM
if they made a guide gun as trim as this one, a lb lighter and with an oct barrel i would have been all over one. My buddy has the cowboy III (i think thats the model, could be the IV) and it was a 18 inch gun and had it all over the 26 inch one. At the time i did mine you couldnt get anyone to part with one so I made my own. I guess it comes down to what you intend to do with it. If you want to be a wanabe cowboy and go out and slay beer cans the 26 inch gun is fine. But for serious hunting in the thick stuff the 18 inch is handier to carry and faster on target. I guess im not in the minority with my thinking either as marlin sells there 18 inch 4570s probably a 100 to 1 to the longer barreled guns. Nothing wrong with a 26 inch cowboy. I had one of those too but when it came time to go hunting this little rifle or my guide gun in 4570 or 444 got the call. I dont think ive ever even took the 26 inch gun hunting. It got traded off a couple years ago and i dont miss it a bit. Ill get some pictures up in a couple days. My main computer crashed and im using a laptop that wont take my cd card from my camera. I think once you see it youll change your tune. Ive been told by quite a few guys that its the best looking modern lever gun theyve ever saw. By the way real cowboys used carbines! You guys must have dug deap to find this post its 6 years old!

Lloyd Smale
04-07-2013, 08:19 AM
from a guy whos idea of a nice 4570 is a handi rifle with a differnt sight on it. ;)
You ruined a perfectly good CB, to make a GG out of it.
I bet a bunch of GG owners would have gladly traded

The horror, the horror.