PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated, but maybe for the better.

tommag
03-26-2014, 08:03 PM
I've got an itch for a Tavor.
Foolish, I know, but I want one.
I stopped at a gunshop in laurel, Mt. and negotiated a price. While filling out the yellow sheet, the guy said he couldn't sell it to me as I didn't live in a neighboring state.
I was prepared to part with the cash, even though it was a lot.
At least he had some 1680 for my 357 max.
I've bought long arms in several states from shops in states I was not a resident. Were all these other shops in violation, or was this guy ignorant of the regs?
At any rate, I still have most of my $ in my pocket. Maybe it was a good thing, as I could buy a couple of nice ar-15's or 3 aks for the same price as one Tavor. I don't really like ar's, but aks feel good in my hands. Still want the Tavor, although don't really know what the heck I'd do with it.

LUBEDUDE
03-26-2014, 08:49 PM
Tavors are cool.

When I had my FFL in a past lifetime I could only sell long guns to residents of my state OR those states bordering my state.

Does your state border "Touch" the border of that state you were trying to buy from?

Of course pistols are to residents only.

rockrat
03-26-2014, 08:53 PM
I believe now you can sell a long gun to non-neighboring state persons. I know it used to be that it was as the fellow said, but I think the law was changed. Someone with an FFL will be along, I am sure, to let you know for certain.

jonas302
03-26-2014, 09:21 PM
Why didn't you have it shipped to your local dealer? Spending that kind of money another $50 wouldn't hurt to bad

Doc Highwall
03-26-2014, 09:33 PM
I was just with a friend that bought one out of state and it does not border his state.

runfiverun
03-26-2014, 09:57 PM
I have bought rifles from bordering states with no questions, handguns have to be shipped to my ffl dealer.
maybe Washington has the law? [dunno]

ksfowler166
03-26-2014, 10:00 PM
If I remember correctly in Kansas a non-resident can purchase a long gun or a shotgun but not a handgun. I am not sure how shipping a firearm between two FFL dealers would change that.

MtGun44
03-27-2014, 01:06 AM
Used be a long time ago - the guy is out of date. Any state now, at least from the
Fed standpoint - could be a crazy state law.

Bill

tommag
03-27-2014, 03:49 AM
I thought I'd skip the sales tax. They are available locally. Between the tax and the price we arrived st, the savings were substantial, if you can call a carbine at $1800 a bargain ;-).
At any rate, it was probably a good thing, as I have more than one rifle I've not fired yet.

2wheelDuke
03-27-2014, 04:02 AM
I'd love to have a Tavor and the 9mm conversion. It's a mission to go shoot rifles around here, but I can shoot the pistol caliber carbine at any range around here.

It's just too pricey of a toy for me.

Wayne Smith
03-27-2014, 04:28 PM
If you are in NW DC he was an idiot. You are not in a 'state'! I'll bet that is what he was using. Yes, DC and Maryland abut one another!

LUBEDUDE
03-28-2014, 06:11 PM
Well like I said, a past lifetime - the early 80's.:-) Glad to hear they have loosened up the buying of long guns somewhat.

MT Gianni
03-28-2014, 07:57 PM
He was not quoting Montana law. It may have been the owners policy.