PDA

View Full Version : Benjamin Discovery v/s Marauder

Gunslinger1911
03-26-2014, 12:17 PM
Hi gents,

I've found there to be a wealth of knowledge here, so I pose a question ....

I have an FWB 300 springer, looking to get into PCP. Informal backyard target shooting with kids.

What's the difference between a Marauder and a Discovery ?

Is a Marauder a more refined Discovery ?

Planning to use CO2 - have a bulk tank from paintball. Possibly air in future.

Clip for Marauder not an issue - prob use single shot adapter.

Have done research on Pyramid Air site - wanted your thoughts.

Any and all advice appreciated.

rsterne
03-26-2014, 12:38 PM
Disco is a 2000 psi fill, and comes with a pump, which is not hard to use at that pressure.... good performance (about 22 FPE in .22 cal).... Accurate, VERY light, tons of mods available if you're into that.... However, it's single shot and it's loud.... The trigger needs some work, but can be make very nice at virtually no cost, just some time, a couple of small screws, and a lighter spring....

MRod is a 3000 psi fill (max.) but can be tuned for less.... If you use a pump you may find it hard to fill over about 2500.... More powerful than a Disco.... Early .22s had some accuracy issues (now fixed?), but the .25 was a tack driver and VERY powerful.... It is a repeater and backyard friendly because of the shrouded barrel.... It is, however VERY heavy.... although the newer Synthetic version is supposed to be lighter.... It has an EXCELLENT and very adjustable trigger, particularly once you remove the "lawyer spring" which prevent too light a trigger pull....

Bob

Outer Rondacker
03-26-2014, 01:44 PM
Im a disco fan. Owning one that is modded. I have the .22 with a TKO muzzle brake. I have made my own depinger and trigger job with bumped shot speed. Only thing I do not have that a mrod has is 10 round clip. I have dropped mine over a C graff and am hitting 1200-1250 ish. Love it. I use a scuba tank to fill Last for ever. I have put new seals in and bring my pressures up to 2400. I would say if buying new Mrod is nice. I picked mine up for 100 bucks and made my own fill thingy. I already have full tanks so was good to go. I shoot mine at camp and there are people only 25 feet away and never know I took a shot. I spit as loud as this thing. LOL good luck.

Smoke4320
03-26-2014, 02:30 PM
Disco is a 2000 psi fill, and comes with a pump, which is not hard to use at that pressure.... good performance (about 22 FPE in .22 cal).... Accurate, VERY light, tons of mods available if you're into that.... However, it's single shot and it's loud.... The trigger needs some work, but can be make very nice at virtually no cost, just some time, a couple of small screws, and a lighter spring....

MRod is a 3000 psi fill (max.) but can be tuned for less.... If you use a pump you may find it hard to fill over about 2500.... More powerful than a Disco.... Early .22s had some accuracy issues (now fixed?), but the .25 was a tack driver and VERY powerful.... It is a repeater and backyard friendly because of the shrouded barrel.... It is, however VERY heavy.... although the newer Synthetic version is supposed to be lighter.... It has an EXCELLENT and very adjustable trigger, particularly once you remove the "lawyer spring" which prevent too light a trigger pull....

Bob

yea what he said ..
the marauder is much quieter (in stock form), sys stock version is lighter and feels very good .. in 25 cal it is a real tack driver and quite a good killer too..
you will need a different reg for any paintball gun tank as their output is either approx. 450 or 750-800 and you need 2000 PSI (disc) to 3000 PSI(marauder) Output .. now if you have a 4000-5000 LB bulk tank that's a different story

grumpyerr
03-26-2014, 06:51 PM
Bob nailed it. The Disco is a modders dream of a gun. The Mrods are great guns too but they have had some problems with the .22 barrels. .177 and .25 much less.

SharpsShooter
03-28-2014, 07:30 PM
I have both and love them. I use a 75 ft.³ scuba tank to fill them. The discovery gets 2000 psi and the marauder has been tuned to 2850 psi. Both are exceptionally accurate with JSB Diablo Exact 16 grain pellets. 1 inch groups of 50 yards are very common on a 10 shot string in calm conditions. Five shot groups will often produce the smaller group simply do to the lower ES of velocity.

Out-of-the-box the marauder is the better choice. However, if you don't mind tinkering a little the discovery is a very good rifle and much lighter as has been noted. The marauder is on its best when shot from a bench, prone etc.

SS

Pakprotector
03-30-2014, 08:10 AM
The Marauder does a few things much better. The breech is held down with 4 screws; it is more robust than the Disco. The trigger is superb; the usual means of fixing the Disco's is to replace it with one from the Marauder and add the AirGunLabs .031" spacer.

Ultimately, neither of 'em will make you unhappy, and is lots to learn playing with 'em. I have three Marauders, a 20 cal Field Target rifle, a 95 FPE, .224 boolit shooter, and a 25 cal pellet rifle with at least one more for a .257/30 cal project a likely acquisition.
cheers,
Douglas

Gunslinger1911
04-04-2014, 10:35 PM
Thanks for all the info guys, been doing a lot of surfing around also. I may just hafta get one !

Still haven't found a lot of info on using CO2, but it sounds like all the tuning possibilities will make it work ! I have a full size CO2 tank for paintball already. Air will prob come later as $ become available. (Now that gets pricy !!!)

My kids and I have a ball with the FWB 300 ! Minisniping - 9mm cases at ~30 yds, although my "sniper has taken to empty 22 casings for targets.
Looking forward to head to head matches !

detox
04-10-2014, 01:13 PM
I have the Marauder rifle (easier to work on and change barrels), the older Discovery, and the 22 cal Marauder pistol.

Buy the Marauder pistol version with shoulder stock.

dougader
06-11-2014, 08:21 PM
Does the pistol come in 25 caliber?

rsterne
06-11-2014, 09:23 PM
Nope, .22 cal only....

Bob

ebner glocken
08-16-2014, 04:41 PM
What are your opinions on the new or rebuilt .177 Mrods? Right now I have a couple of springers and an old benjaman/sheridan pump up all .177 cal.

The only complaint I have so far is the umarex springer is a scope killer. Blackbirds are my game and the umarex surge can take them down @ 67 yards (the top of the furthest tree). The surge shoots crosman dome HPs @ 900 over the chrono with great accuracy to boot.

The older winchester/china springer will shoot the above pellet @ 650 FPS and does great @ 25-35 yards but not much further.

The benjaman shoots the same pellets @700 FPS with 8 pumps very consistantly. I just bought it at a pawn shop the other day for $35 bucks in great condition. So far I'm impressed for the money.

I guess what I'm really looking for is a PCP of good quality in .177 that will kill blackbirds @70 yards every time if I do my part. All of this that won't break the bank. Budget is flexable.

Ebner

W.R.Buchanan
08-19-2014, 03:28 PM
My thoughts are . Don't sell that FWB300! [smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

I traded mine to a dentist for a gold crown,,,, and now I don't have the crown, and I don't have the rifle either.

These guns are not that easy to replace.

They are also more accurate than just about any PCP/CO2 gun, with the possible exception of another newer FWB target rifle.

You, your kids, and their kids could shoot that gun hundreds of times every day for their entire lives and not wear it out.

FWB advertised that the practical life of that mechanism was 6,000,000 rounds!

I was an idiot to trade mine off. :violin:[smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

Randy

You gotta love how all the heads are in sync.

DougGuy
08-19-2014, 03:40 PM
I vote the mrod over the disco. In addition to points mentioned, the .25 cal is the least pellet fussy one of the bunch, and probably the most accurate. I have the synthetic stock version, Gen II, this also has the Green Mountain barrel. It IS super accurate, and whisper quiet.

If you decide you want to use it for pest control, it will fill the bill bone stock, but as with all hunting, shot placement is key, and the accuracy of the synrod with a good scope easily groups them within a dime across my back yard.

Simple modifications with a common drill bit are easy to do, and can bump the power up by 50% in less than an hour.

Railbuggy
01-20-2015, 10:17 PM
I got my 22 Disco from PA last June. Installed TKO and re-stained the wood. My new favorite air gun for target and pest control.

Silverboolit
01-21-2015, 07:26 PM
May I ask a question? Can you put the MRod on CO2? Info on that is welcome as I haven't seen too much about it. Thanks.